McD figured out the old saying "The Best Defense is a Good Offense"

20 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Nobody hates the offense being great. But it would be nice if the defense could make some stops. I do think they will figure it out as the season goes on but in the playoffs points can be tough to come by and the d needs to slow the opponent down. 

To be fair, the D has made some big 4th down stops.  Pretty much showing some moxie and desire out of a D made more for stopping the pass, they came up big more than once.  Our apposing D's really haven't stopped us on the big 4th downs.  So we've got that going for us.

Also, the end of the Raiders game gives hope.  Could be a change of attitude with Norman back, a little more physical and turnover inducing.

I think some people don't understand what the word 'rebuild' means, or what it looks like over several seasons...

Idiotic to think that McDermott's end goal for the offense was what you saw any of the past few years or even what today's offense looks like.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Prevent Offense and Prevent Defense were the MAIN reason the Bills would ***** defeat from the Jaws Of Victory over and over......THAT was maddening.

Go BILLS!

Lol at ***** being blocked by the filters. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Took a while, and yep turning the corner on him and like many here trying to temper my excitement.

Outside Oldmanfan and a few others, I'm wondering who else misses those 17-13 games and the offense going into "Prevent Offense" after halftime?

It was that Pittsburgh game and Duck Hodges that really exasperated me last year, and hope those days are behind the Bills.

Actually, what people told you last year is that McDermott coached defensive games because that was the strength of the team. We also told you that if Allen developed and offensive talent was added he would let the offense lead the way, and that he was not a conservative coach like you said. Lo and behold that's exactly what happened and you're using it as evidence to say you were right all along?

• Like (+1) 3

Here we go again about McD is smarter then all the rest and that this was al;ways the plan and he's had it mapped out since Day 1......  

I admit he is growing on me and doing some very good things, but I will not get off that regardless of two WC appearences, the team's record going into this year was 25-23 under him.  

I will also state that he has held Allen back and this could have been accelerated too.  Look at how quick Burrows & Herbert are adapting and Josh to me was hamstrung to some extent years 1 & 2.  Conversely we quickly could make a decision on Rosen & probably know where Mayfield stands and shortly too with Darnold, Murray & Jones.....

Without Allen & if the Bills played Offense like they did in 2019, they are at best 2-2.  

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Here we go again about McD is smarter then all the rest and that this was al;ways the plan and he's had it mapped out since Day 1......  

I admit he is growing on me and doing some very good things, but I will not get off that regardless of two WC appearences, the teams record going into this year was 25-23 under him.  

I will also state that he has held Allen back and this could have been accelerated too.  Look at how quick Burrows & Herbert are adapting and Josh to me was hamstrung to some extent years 1 & 2.  Conversely we quickly could make a decision on Rosen & probably know where Mayfield stands and shortly too with Darnold, Murray & Jones.....

Without Allen & if the Bills played Offense like they did in 2019, they are at best 2-2.  

This is all nonsense, except for the bolded part.

Edited by {::'KayCeeS::}

7 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

This is all nonsense.

Explain?  I have an opinion.....  Yep could be right or wrong.  Many here do exactly what I do, write responses that fit their narrative.

I say "the Bills offense & passing near the bottom since McD took over", which is a fact.

You say "McD had no weapons and was a genious with what he had and a stout defense"

I say "Josh Allen could be further ahead given some weapons and a coaching philosophy to score points"

You say "McD protected Allen because he wasn't ready and see what's happened in 2020"

And at least I am coming around on McD, but still think way too many here drank the McD Koolaid and were happy with one of the worst offenses in the NFL for 3 STRAIGHT SEASONS....

Bring it on......

Edited by Billsfan1972

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Explain?  I have an opinion.....  Yep could be right or wrong.  Many here do exactly what I do, write responses that fit their narrative.

I say "the Bills offense & passing near the bottom since McD took over", which is a fact.

You say "McD had no weapons and was a genious with what he had and a stout defense"

I say "Josh Allen could be further ahead given some weapons and a coaching philosophy to score points"

You say "McD protected Allen because he wasn't ready and see what's happened in 2020"

And at least I am coming around on McD, but still think way too many here drank the McD Koolaid and were happy with one of the worst offenses in the NFL for 3 STRAIGHT SEASONS....

Bring it on......

Rome wasn't built in a day.

The current state of the franchise speaks for itself.

You're just borderline trolling.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Rome wasn't built in a day.

The current state of the franchise speaks for itself.

You're just borderline trolling.

Actually I'm giddy about the first 4 weeks.  I'm very happy with McD & the coaching staff. 

Just saying I was so frustrated prior and wonder if it could have happened sooner.

Waiting for the first person to  say "THE PROCESS".....😜 

14 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Actually I'm giddy about the first 4 weeks.  I'm very happy with McD & the coaching staff. 

Just saying I was so frustrated prior and wonder if it could have happened sooner.

i think we're all just shocked that you don't understand why this didn't happen sooner.  you seem to think 100% of it is on coaching.  many of us don't feel that way. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

McDermott coaches to his talent. He is one of the best Head Coaches in the NFL outside the obvious big name Superbowl winners - Belichick, Reid, Payton, Harbaugh, Carroll. He will want to get some of the issues ironed out on defense and I'm sure he will, but he has always won games the way his talent allows him to.

He's got "the gleam" of a modern-day Marty Schottenheimer.

McD is clearly not yet good in the heat of the battle on gameday itself......and Marty never was either.....but they both leave no stone left unturned in between and get consistent effort and focus and respect from their players.  

Marty was clearly a notch below the all-time greats and mocked a lot here on TSW for his playoff choke jobs.......he had a number of moments like McD's Houston meltdown........but if he had the better QB he probably gets to multiple SB's.

I have also been consistent with my Elway comp for Allen.........which I find interesting because Elway foiled Marty so many times in big games.

Give Marty John Elway at QB in the 80's and things might have been very different.   

Bill Cowher is also a good comp.   He eventually broke thru when he got a young, future HOF QB. 

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

McD is clearly not yet good in the heat of the battle on gameday itself......and Marty never was either.....but they both leave no stone left unturned in between and get consistent effort and focus and respect from their players.  

Marty was clearly a notch below the all-time greats and mocked a lot here on TSW for his playoff choke jobs.......he had a number of moments like McD's Houston meltdown........but if he had the better QB he probably gets to multiple SB's.

I have also been consistent with my Elway comp for Allen.........which I find interesting because Elway foiled Marty so many times in big games.

Give Marty John Elway at QB in the 80's and things might have been very different.   

Bill Cowher is also a good comp.   He eventually broke thru when he got a young, future HOF QB. 

where have you been psycho?

36 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Again when McD is agressive & wins I will applaud him.  Conservative McD, not so much. 

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes. McD chose not to have a great offense. That checks out. 

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again when McD is agressive & wins I will applaud him.  Conservative McD, not so much. 

Marty-ball used to be not-so-secret code for conservative football.........especially in the playoffs where Marty coached his usually much more talented teams into surprisingly close games and put them in unnecessarily pressure packed situations where they were then more worried about losing than focused on winning.   It eventually took on a life of it's own with the Chargers where his teams just panicked in the playoffs.

I am not sure that McD will continue to fall into that trap............I think the lessons learned and analytics gathered from decades of guys like Marty and Cowher and even Andy Reid having teams underachieve in the playoffs should and will serve as motivation for McD to not coach his team into unfavorable circutmstances.   I hope anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Marty-ball used to be not-so-secret code for conservative football.........especially in the playoffs where Marty coached his usually much more talented teams into surprisingly close games and put them in unnecessarily pressure packed situations where they were then more worried about losing than focused on winning.   It eventually took on a life of it's own with the Chargers where his teams just panicked in the playoffs.

I am not sure that McD will continue to fall into that trap............I think the lessons learned and analytics gathered from decades of guys like Marty and Cowher and even Andy Reid having teams underachieve in the playoffs should and will serve as motivation for McD to not coach his team into unfavorable circutmstances.   I hope anyway.

If Allen keeps on playing like a BOSS, then it makes it easy for McD to keep the pedal to the medal in the playoffs.  I'm of the opinion that McD is a real coach, and just amplifies what he has in front of him.

In my opinion McDermott has always done what he needed to win. The past few years was defense and conservative offense, because that's what we had. We didn't have an offense that could put up tons of points.

Now we do.

7 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Took a while, and yep turning the corner on him and like many here trying to temper my excitement.

Outside Oldmanfan and a few others, I'm wondering who else misses those 17-13 games and the offense going into "Prevent Offense" after halftime?

It was that Pittsburgh game and Duck Hodges that really exasperated me last year, and hope those days are behind the Bills.

All of this, 100%, was just part of the process. He was bringing his QB along in every way imaginable. He cut him loose when Josh and the whole offense was ready. The timeline, Taking three years to build it is very good, imho. I think this kind of obvious when you look at the whole three years. You want your very young QB, ready and his offense, ready, when you give it your best shot (at creating a franchise QB.)

He did not surrender his defense very much in building the offense. The defense will come around if his players remain healthy.

The chefs make up is very much like that of the Bills. Both franchises spend a lot on defense and value it highly. The chefs D kept them close in the Super Bowl and again last week vs. the pats.

Offense only is just a big pile of bull-crap.