How would an NFL bubble look?

Just Jack
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict discussion in this thread to the NFL and NFL-related topics.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

I was just thinking about this after reading another article about all the positive tests this week.  How would the NFL do a bubble? You would need multiple stadiums if you try to play multiple games at the same time. Do you spread games out, say multiple games on Thursday, Friday, Sunday and Monday, or keep the current TV layout? Where are NFL stadiums in close proximity? I know Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland would be a good choice, any others? Having no fans makes it easy to use stadiums, minimum personnel needed. 

Thoughts? 

It would look stupid.

...I am not knocking you, my friend JJ, it is just the way I feel about it.

and I know there have been a lot of positive tests this week and last, but do you know who this effects the most?

the Bills...almost solely....last week’s team, this week’s team, Thursday night’s team.

there are 28 to 29 teams that don’t have anyone with covid.  We need to pump the brakes a bit on bubbles and other options of that nature,

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You don’t have just 5 starters like the NBA, about a dozen in total. We still have ALL teams involved. It’s a longer season, with more teams and FAR more players and staff. I don’t think it’s remotely possible, but I’ll pull for ANYTHING that keeps this season rolling. 

GO BILLS! 

It would look imaginary with unicorns and cotton candy fountains.  Previous threads on this issue were locked by MODs.

NFLPA has said they will not agree to any sort of bubble.  They would prefer NFL shutdown season and go to court on NFLPA agreement to try to win anything they cannot win in bargaining table.

7 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

It would look stupid.

...I am not knocking you, my friend JJ, it is just the way I feel about it.

and I know there have been a lot of positive tests this week and last, but do you know who this effects the most?

the Bills...almost solely....last week’s team, this week’s team, Thursday night’s team.

there are 28 to 29 teams that don’t have anyone with covid.  We need to pump the brakes a bit on bubbles and other options of that nature,

I get that but the thing is, by the time the number of infections are numerous enough to justify a bubble, it will be way too late for a bubble to save the season. You don't wait until the levee breaks before shoring it up with a storm on the way. I suppose the Titans situation could be an anomaly but everything this virus has shown us over the last 7 months belies that belief. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I was just thinking about this after reading another article about all the positive tests this week.  How would the NFL do a bubble? You would need multiple stadiums if you try to play multiple games at the same time. Do you spread games out, say multiple games on Thursday, Friday, Sunday and Monday, or keep the current TV layout? Where are NFL stadiums in close proximity? I know Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland would be a good choice, any others? Having no fans makes it easy to use stadiums, minimum personnel needed. 

Thoughts? 

I believe the plan that the NFL proposed was each team would individually bubble.  The team would rent a hotel, bus and their stadium and the players would stay within the hotel similar to the NBA in Disney.  The NFL plan was to allow immediate family to be in the bubble (wife, kids), but they would of needed to tested and stay within the bubble.  

Basically the hotel becomes the de facto compound for the team and staff - probably 600 - 1000 people - with strict guidelines for hotel staff and food service.  The players would shuttle to the stadium, airport, and other stadium - staying strictly in their pods to minimize contact.

They had no logistical plans to be able to have hub cities with multiple teams because the size of each group was to big.  

Some teams - like the Cowboys did this during training camp.  I believe the Bills met with the players and immediate family to talk about the protocol and how important safety was.  

The problem always was the size of the bubble and who to include as several players take care of not only their family, but elderly parents and others and being locked in a bubble that was logistically impossible.  It also meant kids could attend school - had to be remote or out of the bubble - so you might not see you family for months.  Therefore - the NFLPA rejected it and it was always a non starter in negotiations or the year.

46 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I believe the plan that the NFL proposed was each team would individually bubble.  The team would rent a hotel, bus and their stadium and the players would stay within the hotel similar to the NBA in Disney.  The NFL plan was to allow immediate family to be in the bubble (wife, kids), but they would of needed to tested and stay within the bubble.  

Basically the hotel becomes the de facto compound for the team and staff - probably 600 - 1000 people - with strict guidelines for hotel staff and food service.  The players would shuttle to the stadium, airport, and other stadium - staying strictly in their pods to minimize contact.

They had no logistical plans to be able to have hub cities with multiple teams because the size of each group was to big.  

Some teams - like the Cowboys did this during training camp.  I believe the Bills met with the players and immediate family to talk about the protocol and how important safety was.  

The problem always was the size of the bubble and who to include as several players take care of not only their family, but elderly parents and others and being locked in a bubble that was logistically impossible.  It also meant kids could attend school - had to be remote or out of the bubble - so you might not see you family for months.  Therefore - the NFLPA rejected it and it was always a non starter in negotiations or the year.

That's pretty interesting information and certainly illustrates quite clearly why a bubble would not work.  No wonder the NFLPA rejected that.  NHL and NBA have WAY less logistics so it was doable for them.

I find it sad that some teams just don't seem to get the message.....it seems like the majority of the teams do.  But like life in general it is the actions of a few that ruin it for the many.

Go BILLS!!

2 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

That's pretty interesting information and certainly illustrates quite clearly why a bubble would not work.  No wonder the NFLPA rejected that.  NHL and NBA have WAY less logistics so it was doable for them.

I find it sad that some teams just don't seem to get the message.....it seems like the majority of the teams do.  But like life in general it is the actions of a few that ruin it for the many.

Go BILLS!!

The NBA and NHL also only had to do it for essentially the playoffs.  The players in both sports said they would not have agreed for a longer period.

It was also noted that some players/teams just wanted out and they purposely “tanked” to get away from the bubble.

I can’t imagine trying to do an NFL season (and say you are the Jets) and your season is over after week 3 or 4, but you still have 14 more bubble weeks - it would have been a nightmare.

I think the NFL recognized this, but there are so few other options to try and bubble.  Division bubbles in an area where you could play 2 games - the logistics of even just players, staff, trainers - would have been over 1000 people and you get no contact with family.  Even if you then break things up to give people time to see family and then re-quarantine you are either extending the season by several weeks or cutting the schedule both of which impact TV deals and players pay.

10 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Thoughts? 

You dont need to do this like nhl and nba

its a team driven thing. Support staff protect the players and coaches in limiting their outside contacts with the world.  

The singke pkayers all live in the same building like a hotel.  Those married  with family have support network to create a bubble among thrm like a social group.

I think if what is happening now happened a month from now, there would be more discussion of a bubble for the home stretch of the season.   But IMO it's too long for players to agree to it, plus you're throwing the holidays in the middle of it.  The NBA has already stated, there will be no bubble next year.  It worked in the NBA and NHL because they were shortened periods of time  The NBA was down to 4 teams in about 3 weeks more time than it took the NFL just to get through training camp.  They also had weeks maybe more like months to prep for the bubble.

If the NFL announced a bubble tomorrow I'd be surprised if they could get them up and running much before Nov 1st.  By then either things will have settled out, or the season will likely be on hold.

It's way too late for any bubbles now.

Test everyone (players, coaches and staff), every day. Isolate those who test positive for 3 weeks. Let those who don't do their jobs. Stop closing down facilities.

Some positive tests are going to happen. Roll with it! It's the only way to have a completed season, which we desperately need!