What Part of The SB Puzzle Does This Team Miss Compared to 90’s

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Marino’s Dolphins were nowhere near as good as the Mahomes Chiefs.  Nowhere near the weapons Mahomes has and their defense was bad.  Those Steeler and Broncos teams weren’t great either.  Elway had not yet hit his stride and had no one to throw to.  I wasn’t referring to the NFC; obviously, those NFCE teams we lost to were the real deal, especially the Cowboys.

and the Bills beat them each after Superbowls so competition level may be a factor that they were not prepared for NFC.

58 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

Bruce was part of the late 80s teams and no doubt he was a major contributor to the SB teams, but in the end the team didnt make the SB until it made substantial changes to the offense play. This was mostly Kelly, Thurman, and Reed. They changed the tempo of the game. 

We have that ability now with Josh and the receivers, but I am talking about a Thurman Thomas. Is Josh our Thurman Thomas? I would like to think so, but time will tell. 

The question was “What Part of The SB Puzzle Does This Team Miss Compared to 90’s”.  Yeah, Thurman would be nice...but a pass rusher the level of Bruce would be a MUUUUUUUUCH bigger addition.  So much bigger it’s not even worth debating 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

No they dealt with teams that were not necessarily statistically better than todays Chief, but that is largely due to rule changes. 1990 and 91 Bills were better than todays Chiefs and anyone that watched them knows this is true. 

Absolutely. Last year's Chiefs were one of the more mediocre teams to ever win a Super Bowl, 90 & 91 Bills would've trounced them (see: Dan Marino's Dolphins).

41 minutes ago, mannc said:

Marino’s Dolphins were nowhere near as good as the Mahomes Chiefs.  Nowhere near the weapons Mahomes has and their defense was bad.  Those Steeler and Broncos teams weren’t great either.  Elway had not yet hit his stride and had no one to throw to.  I wasn’t referring to the NFC; obviously, those NFCE teams we lost to were the real deal, especially the Cowboys.

And Ratface's Chiefs beat the Titans, Texans, and 49ers zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Bruce, certainly. He was the most dynamic pass rusher in the NFL.  And Thurman was a guy who could do it all.  Just an unbelievable receiver for a running back.  If Thurman had been blessed with breakaway speed, he may have been the GOAT.

Edited by TheBrownBear

That’s easy....zero Bruce Smith equivalent... teams always had to fear our edges. Bruce on one side, Bennett on the other..  This team has anemic edges in comparison. Unless Hughes is saving it for the playoffs we need something to change. 

Edited by Locomark

Experience? Kelly was 6 or 7 years out of college when he made it to his first super bowl? But it does seem these days younger less experienced QB's can and do take their teams to the Super Bowl. Or to 1st place in the conference. 

On offense it would be nice to have a Kamara type player in that Thurman roll out of the backfield as a threat to run or receive. Singletary is nice but not sure he will get to that sort of all-pro level.

On defense I feel our D-line is just average at best. Need a true playmaker on the line to emerge. 

That said, no reason why this team can't compete with the best of them right now.

It was easier to keep a team together back in the early 90s. Free agency is the biggest difference from the 90s.

Agree with other posters on DE, RB, LB, and just overall depth. Yes...these Bills are good, but it would take a hall of fame level DE, a solid right side of the OL, another solid linebacker, and a MVP-level running back before we can compare the two teams.

A top level DE and Singletary averaging 1200+ yards is the next step/level.

Let's keep building and win a playoff game first!

• Like (+1) 1

I think Josh can be as good if not better than Jim. Diggs can almost equal Andre. We just don't have a Bruce or Thurman. They way our defense is structured now they will have to play together as a unit. Devin will never be 34 but he will be serviceable. If we are to finally win a SB, it will likely rest on Josh's shoulders. 

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

Thurman would destroy this league.

Fred Jackson in his prime on this team would destroy this league. 

I'm most likely in the minority with this opinion, but I think Jackson was a better back and if he was surrounded with talent, the sky was the limit. 

Different era but Bruce and Thurman would be superstars still today.  Bruce would need to play a 4-3 DE.  He would be too light for today's 3-4 DE.  

Thurman was always my favorite player.  

This team lacks a pass rushing OLB.  They need a guy that can stand up as an OLB in the 4-3 and put his hand on the ground as a nickel DE.  

A true dominant pass rusher. Jerry, Mario and Trent have their merits. Ed's talent is obvious but still needs a little more consistency so while we have got decent pressure at times we don't have that guy who can take over a game. That is the one missing piece that takes this team from very good to dominant. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Bruce 

Yes this.  Hughes is good but does not have the effect that Bruce Smith had on a game.

I might argue a Cornelius Bennett as well for the same reasons.  Edmunds and Milano are good players but have yet to make the game-turning plays that Biscuit did for the Bills.