Don't look now but the Bills defense is 20th in the NFL in yards!

FireChans

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah the problem is they actually let the other team come back. Dolphins, Rams, even the Raiders for a little while there, all got back into the game after trailing by 2 scores. The defense was saved by Josh Allen doing Josh Allen things. You should be worried about the defense. They're playing at a below average level. This defense with last year's offense doesn't reach the playoffs.

It's not much of a problem if you win all your games.

Let's just see how things go.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah the problem is they actually let the other team come back. Dolphins, Rams, even the Raiders for a little while there, all got back into the game after trailing by 2 scores. The defense was saved by Josh Allen doing Josh Allen things. You should be worried about the defense. They're playing at a below average level. This defense with last year's offense doesn't reach the playoffs.

They are playing inconsistent. They are playing below what I expect of even an average defense. They might be a problem but it's too early. A lot of good offenses on the schedule coming up though so it probably wont get much better. Josh has to keep doing those things. Hopefully the veteran defensive players get the Bills back to playing top 5 defense. 2nd half of the Raiders game was solid.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This defense isn't playing like this on last year's schedule. Brandon Allen and Dwayne Haskins and a washed out Eli Manning are not coming over the hill to give them some easy games. 

That isn't to say there are not issues or that the defense isn't playing worse than last year - it clearly is. But I don't think the difference is as big as it maybe appears on the bald numbers. 

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It's all three levels. No pass rush.  Edmunds again taking bad angles.  Run Dis interesting and has been all year. They are stout one play and then get gashed for 10+ on another.  That seems to fit the narrative of not getting to their run fits and playing bad angles.  Even White has given up some yards and a score or two but the opposition has mostly targeted Levi and Taron. Milano when healthy has been great. Hyde and Hughes have been as well.  

That said, the pass rush got better in the second half last week.  The run D got better.  And they forced two fumbles - one a strip sack.  

Thanks Ethan

7 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

I think that second half in Vegas is going to be the defense we get going forward.   

Please God 🙏 let this be the case !!!!

Because a top 5 defense and this offense who is going to stop us ??? 
GO BILLS BABY !!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I went into last game saying if Jacobs runs for a hundred or more they’re in trouble.  Same this week and next.  The passing yards are harder to assess as teams are being forced to throw more to keep pace.  I surely didn’t like seeing them getting burned in that deep ball TD (that was called back). There were hopeful signs last week.  Stuffing Jacobs on 4th and 1 was huge.  Let see if it carries over into the next game. Hopefully against Henry. 

7 hours ago, Dub said:

I haven't seen a snap all season 😕 I've been following on the board here during games. Is it all three lvls of the D or where are the problems coming from ? The last few yrs the D bailed them out quite a bit. How is there such a big swing ?

*cough (at a socially acceptable distance and behind my mask)https://timekills.info/buffalo-bills-video/ *cough*

Edited by timekills17
FLBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Careful! Any criticism of the Bills will not go over well here.

We are 4-0 and our QB is in the MVP conversation but please continue with criticism !! 

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2020.htm

A quarter of the way through the season and the Bills D is 20th in yards allowed, 17th in points allowed, all while being 6th in starting field position.

Thank god the Bills offense is 5th in points and 4th in yards, despite being 28th in rushing yards. McD's masterplan to get Josh Allen his first MVP is succeeding so far.

20th is about where I thought they were.  Not great, but our opponents have put up a ton of yards and points in garbage time.  And there appear to be no great defenses this year...

Edited by mannc

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Yea I hope. They also had a phenomenal 1st half vs Rams . They just need to put together 4 quarters. And 

I thought they'd be dominant with the continuity. Milano being injured is going to hurt.

I was in the Gameday thread for the 1st half vs LV and Edmunds was getting ripped apart. Many saying he regressed big time. Anyone care to expand on that? I know he was out of position a couple of times in the pass game but I thought it was more on the DL giving Carr all day , in the 1st half. Curious why ppl specifically thought Edmunds was an issue

His major problem is block shedding. He needs to improve on that. He gets blocked too easily.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Putin said:

Please God 🙏 let this be the case !!!!

Because a top 5 defense and this offense who is going to stop us ??? 
GO BILLS BABY !!!!!

Exactly Putin.  There are players who when interviewed said it’s foolish to think defensive who have no preseason, limited practices in pads, ie. little to any talking and hitting, and we are wondering why defenses across the NFL are having to catch up after four games.  I choose to think the second half of the Vegas Raiders game, they started to get their lineups right in the center of the line.  Edmunds is playing out of position, limited even more because of the injury, he just needs to get in a rhythm.  No one is being harder on himself than him and my god he’s only 22.  The good news is Norman looks more like the Carolina Norman, than the last year of the Redskins, sorry Washington Football Team (don’t get me started as I’m fine with dropping the Redskins logo, but Football Team is stupid), and Milano before reinjuring himself, was looking good out there.  He was flying to the ball, and the Milano a bunch of us loved last year.

I am not worried McD can’t get this figured out, and mark the tape defenses across the league are going to tighten up and offenses are going to come back to earth.  The Bills offense is for real, but they will face tough contests with teams like the 49ers.  I don’t see us avg. by the end of the year 31 pts./game.  I am hopeful we can maintain say 27 pts a game, but I also expect this defense getting better with each week.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This defense isn't playing like this on last year's schedule. Brandon Allen and Dwayne Haskins and a washed out Eli Manning are not coming over the hill to give them some easy games. 

That isn't to say there are not issues or that the defense isn't playing worse than last year - it clearly is. But I don't think the difference is as big as it maybe appears on the bald numbers. 

We played Fitz and the worst team in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We played Fitz and the worst team in the NFL.

Yea we played good Fitz. Last year we got 1 good Fitz and one bad Fitz. If he is starting still in week 17 the bad Fitz week is still to come. As for the Jets.... the D played well that game. The Jets did absolutely nothing in the first half, had one play with a big missed tackle in the 3rd quarter and then a garbage time drive against a prevent defense which is a direct result of where having a good O hurts the D in pure number terms. If the Bills were up by 3 when Darnold gets that ball there is no way that the Jets score a touchdown. None at all. The Bills were in prevent and not pressing receivers at the line because the only way the Jets could even have a shot to win that game (down 17, 3:10 to play, 2 timeouts) is to score before the 2 minute warning. Conceding a touchdown with 53 second left on the clock was a win for the Bills.

One thing to factor in is since we score early and often on offense, other teams are forced to throw the ball more which will impact yards. Im not saying were the same secondary, we absolutely need to force more 3-and-outs going forward. But with a high-scoring offense, inevitably our defensive yards are going to tick up.