Latest Buff News Fan column - In praise of Beane

The recent installment. A look back and what Brandon Beane has done as we bask in the 4-0 start. Please read. Reflect. Sip tea. Look longingly out the window at the birds. Comment. Argue. Pick nits. Assert otherwise. Rinse. Repeat.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/voice-of-the-fan-brandon-beane-and-the-beane-counters-deserve-our-praise/article_cdb26384-082a-11eb-97ea-1f4170eaee36.html

An excerpt...

"The total revamping of the wide receiver corps from the absolute worst in the league to inarguably the top five  and arguably the very best from top to bottom – is emblematic of the entire team, and the job that Beane has done. Especially when considering the combination and complementary nature of various skills of the pass-catchers.

In this light, the difference between the Sammy Watkins trade and the Stefon Diggs trade may be the distinction between previous Bills General Manager Doug Whaley and Beane, and I was a huge supporter of the Watkins trade at the time. The difference between gamble and genius.

Devin Singletary was a surprise third-rounder last year to many fans. Then, apparently, Motor had it put into his rookie contract that the first guy he encounters in a game on any play cannot tackle him. Draft picks such as Dawson Knox and Daryl Johnson flash mad skills and equal potential.

Like the receiving corps, the offensive line was rebuilt last year with big and small names such as Mitch Morse, who solidified the middle and line calls, plus massive Jon Feliciano, Quinton Spain, Ty Nsekhe and Cody Ford. En masse, they instantly and drastically upgraded the pass and run blocking. This year, the line has provided Allen with time to order and eat a double order of wings in the pocket while he canvasses the entire field and then dissects the opposing defense.

Here and there, with little fanfare, Beane harmonized name acquisitions with smart, shrewd, free-agent signings such as Andre Roberts – after a Pro Bowl season with the Jets – and swifty, shifty mini-menace Isaiah McKenzie  on waivers after he was released in the 2018 midseason by the Broncos.

And along the way, Brandon periodically massaged his roster by getting rid of Bill-killers such as Zay Jones..."

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

One of the things I think is interesting about Beane is that he doesn't seem to have a preferred method of talent acquisition.

For example, the backfield was rebuilt through the draft.  But the WR corps was rebuilt through free agency and an expensive trade.  

At first, I thought Beane was drafting for difference makers and signing solid, affordable - if unspectacular - players in free agency.   But our starting wideouts disprove that theory.

• Like (+1) 2

My personal fav excerpt—well done OP!

“Human helicopter Cole Beasley caught a spectacular TD while landing on his head. Rookie revelation Gabe Davis was such an unknown that fellow rookie cornerback Amik Robertson forgot to cover him for an easy lob and catch for Davis’ second TD. John Brown had a TD catch on a fantastic pass and equally far-fetched catch  the referees just didn’t give it to him.”

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Nice job, Kelly.  Could not agree more. We are very fortunate to have him.  Beane has done a masterful job.  (I hope Pegs locks him up real soon). 

2 hours ago, Magox said:

I was a believer after the Sammy Watkins trade.

I loved this trade at the time as it showed Beane was willing to move on from mistakes and plan for the future.  It worked out great.

(for Watkins, too.  He finally discovered some maturity and game in Kansas City)  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

One of the things I think is interesting about Beane is that he doesn't seem to have a preferred method of talent acquisition.

For example, the backfield was rebuilt through the draft.  But the WR corps was rebuilt through free agency and an expensive trade.  

At first, I thought Beane was drafting for difference makers and signing solid, affordable - if unspectacular - players in free agency.   But our starting wideouts disprove that theory.

Yeah, that is really true, and another good part of his plan. He uses all available options equally, not afraid to make the big move, but also doesn't gamble with the cap. He's been terrific. 

22 hours ago, eball said:

Gotta think that five-year extension is coming any day now...

Yeah, it has to be soon. The longer they wait the higher it will be, although I imagine they have approached him already. He is likely holding out for a little more.

25 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah, that is really true, and another good part of his plan. He uses all available options equally, not afraid to make the big move, but also doesn't gamble with the cap. He's been terrific. 

Yeah, it has to be soon. The longer they wait the higher it will be, although I imagine they have approached him already. He is likely holding out for a little more.

Whatever he's asking, he's worth more

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

Whatever he's asking, he's worth more

No doubt. Thankfully, I think he really likes it in Buffalo, gets along great with his head coach, loves the guys and team he has acquired, his his franchise QB, and the team is on the way up quickly. There is no reason at all for him to want to leave this situation. He's in a good spot and it seems like his family already found out the charm of the city and its people.

Some team may offer him two boatloads of money when his five-year contract is up, which is why the Pegulas would be wise to get close to his asking price now if they are indeed talking.

• Like (+1) 1