Are More Teams Tanking Than Ever in 2020?

1 hour ago, Success said:

I was afraid the Pats might get Trevor and do the Favre/Rogers thing - glad to see that they're more middlin' than bad.

Their fans still think the dynasty is alive.  I don't see it. BB out-coaches everyone as he usually does, but they don't have the talent to really contend.

With a healthy Cam they're considerably better than middlin'. They beat the Chiefs last week with Cam there. Without him, though, over time they'll be middling or below. Still have a fine defense.

52 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Great point.  If I'm Lawrence, and I see the Jets with the #1 pick, no way I come out.  At least Cincy had a solid RB and WR, and then drafted another WR.  The Jets would likely do something like draft Lawrence, and then proceed to draft LBs.  

yeah, this is a good point i neglected to mention.  At least had some weapons for Burrow.  The Jets?  Like you said, would probably draft LB's lol.

28 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

With a healthy Cam they're considerably better than middlin'. They beat the Chiefs last week with Cam there. Without him, though, over time they'll be middling or below. Still have a fine defense.

I suppose - I shouldn't be too dismissive of them, especially after the last 20 years.

But I disagree on the bolded. I have heard a lot of Pats fans saying that confidently online - but the entire dynamic changes w/ Cam in there.  The assumption is always that everything will play out exactly as it did, and Cam wouldn't have fumbled or taken sacks like Hoyer, or thrown a pick 6.

Their offense would have moved the ball better & probably scored more - but that would have cause KC to adjust and probably elevated their game.  It might have been a real shootout, which I'd take KC in any day.

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

yeah, I'd agree with @Kirby Jackson that there are a lot of bad coaches/GMS, but the moves you cite really seem to be showing tanking.  Haskins was a project when drafted, IMO, and he is showing improvement, he has chemistry with their #1 WR, and now they bench him?  I don't get that.  Same with Darnold.  Those 2 seem to be tanking, but other teams (Texas) appear to just be bad.  

I think its not uncommon when a team benches their starter to drop him to QB3 for the next few games.  Especially a young player who may have his confidence shaken from the benching.