Are More Teams Tanking Than Ever in 2020?

So.

Few if any fans are allowed at games this year.  The teams that can have fans won't have a problem selling a meager allotment of tickets. Trevor Lawrence has been / will be hyped as "Andrew Luck 2.0".  Does this set up for more outright tanking than we've ever seen at the NFL level?  We have Darnold saying he can go and the Jets saying "that's fine, we are playing Flacco".  The Redskins just tossed Haskins out of the rotation completely (saying Alex Smith is the backup) after a 300 yard day vs the Ravens.  Seems like the perfect year for a race to the bottom.

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

So.

Few if any fans are allowed at games this year.  The teams that can have fans won't have a problem selling a meager allotment of tickets. Trevor Lawrence has been / will be hyped as "Andrew Luck 2.0".  Does this set up for more outright tanking than we've ever seen at the NFL level?  We have Darnold saying he can go and the Jets saying "that's fine, we are playing Flacco".  The Redskins just tossed Haskins out of the rotation completely (saying Alex Smith is the backup) after a 300 yard day vs the Ravens.  Seems like the perfect year for a race to the bottom.

Did he throw for 250 in the second half? ;) 

I expect Trevor to either not come out or refuse to go to some of those tanking teams... Who wants to play for the Jets or WFT when they have some of the worst ownership int he league? Either don't come out or pull an Eli.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1

The Jets, Giants, Jags, FT, Lions, and possibly even the Falcons may have that #1 in their sights at the moment. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Pats will obviously win too many games to get the #1 overall pick. 

I was afraid the Pats might get Trevor and do the Favre/Rogers thing - glad to see that they're more middlin' than bad.

Their fans still think the dynasty is alive.  I don't see it. BB out-coaches everyone as he usually does, but they don't have the talent to really contend.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

I expect Trevor to either not come out or refuse to go to some of those tanking teams... Who wants to play for the Jets or WFT when they have some of the worst ownership int he league? Either don't come out or pull an Eli.

Last week there was a video on ESPN from Mike Greenburg  commenting if he were Lawrence and the Jet's had the #1 overall pick, he'd return to school.  And Greenburg is a Jet's fan too.  It is rather embarrassing for a team to have someone who is in that high of a profile and fan to make statements like that.

• Like (+1) 1

Only team that actively seems like it’s tanking are the Jets.   

That could also just be the remnants of the worst GM ever, mixed with poor moves made by the new GM...  

I know they have high hopes for Douglas, but the Robbie Anderson departure, mixed in with only taking one WR in a loaded WR draft, look pretty bad right now.  

Becton looks good, but that’s the only guy he’s brought in who can even seem to get on the field.....and now he’s hurt. 

With Covid and the weird college football "season", Lawrence kind of also has the perfect excuse not to come out this year.  Easy for us to sit here and say "yeah i wouldn't come out" but to be in his shoes?  That's another story.  Still, I wouldn't want to go to the Jets.  Then again, Burrow is at least playing well in Cincy, so... 

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Only team that actively seems like it’s tanking are the Jets.   

That could also just be the remnants of the worst GM ever, mixed with poor moves made by the new GM...  

I know they have high hopes for Douglas, but the Robbie Anderson departure, mixed in with only taking one WR in a loaded WR draft, look pretty bad right now.  

Becton looks good, but that’s the only guy he’s brought in who can even seem to get on the field.....and now he’s hurt. 

I think the Steers are too.....they are just to stupid to realize that BOB traded that pick away ;) 

8 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

With Covid and the weird college football "season", Lawrence kind of also has the perfect excuse not to come out this year.  Easy for us to sit here and say "yeah i wouldn't come out" but to be in his shoes?  That's another story.  Still, I wouldn't want to go to the Jets.  Then again, Burrow is at least playing well in Cincy, so... 

Great point.  If I'm Lawrence, and I see the Jets with the #1 pick, no way I come out.  At least Cincy had a solid RB and WR, and then drafted another WR.  The Jets would likely do something like draft Lawrence, and then proceed to draft LBs.  

7 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

That kids(Burrow) exciting to watch so is Herbert.

It seems everyone is getting a young exciting QB all of a sudden....there seemed to be a big void for a while.

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

So.

yeah, I'd agree with @Kirby Jackson that there are a lot of bad coaches/GMS, but the moves you cite really seem to be showing tanking.  Haskins was a project when drafted, IMO, and he is showing improvement, he has chemistry with their #1 WR, and now they bench him?  I don't get that.  Same with Darnold.  Those 2 seem to be tanking, but other teams (Texas) appear to just be bad.  

Zero teams tanking, ever, in the NFL. Tanking is for leagues with fully guaranteed contracts.

What you have in football is front offices who rebuild, controlling coaches and players who do their absolute best for the most obvious, self-serving reason, that it is directly against their self-interest to ever NOT give their best.

As for how many teams are rebuilding, IMO it's about the same as ever. It's generally a few terrible teams and a team or two who have been consistently below average for a while. That's generally, within a margin of error, around the same number of teams at any given time. Just more interest in it now that there's a QB who appears to be about as much of as sure thing as you get out of college.

Edited by Thurman#1