Haskins benched in Washington

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The last thing you would want is a young and inexperienced player like Haskins as your backup. Barkley isn't as physically talented as Haskins is but he is knowledgeable about the offense and is a good mentor and sounding board for Allen. That's not a role that Haskins could serve right now. 

Haskins is learning the game and essentially is a developmental player who is going to have tough spells. I don't think that Washington is giving up on Haskins but simply wants to jolt him and give him a pause so he can become more focused on what he needs to do to become a NFL qb. For him the problem isn't the physical aspects of the game as much as the mental side of the game. He needs more time. 

I have a different mindset. Barkley has no upside. He’s not a good backup. His purpose is on the film room etc with Allen but at this point i. His third year i feel like that’s not worth what we are paying him. With what Brian Daboll and Ken Dorsey have done with Josh Allen... I’ll take a flyer on Haskins as a developmental back-up for a late round pick, and future upgrade as back up. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have a different mindset. Barkley has no upside. He’s not a good backup. His purpose is on the film room etc with Allen but at this point i. His third year i feel like that’s not worth what we are paying him. With what Brian Daboll and Ken Dorsey have done with Josh Allen... I’ll take a flyer on Haskins as a developmental back-up for a late round pick, and future upgrade as back up. 

I wouldn't . Haskins sucks.  Kelly has said Reich was very helpful and saw things he didn't see on the field during games and in the film room at times.  This was many years into his career. I think you are vastly underestimating the importance of a guy like that in the film room and on the sideline during a game for Josh's continued development.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

WFT officially in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes 

Threw for 314 vs Ravens with a trash offense. He’s played 10 games. Better go to Kyle Allen. 

would rather Wash get Lawrence than MIA (via Houston pick) or Jets! 

my question is: I have McLauren (WR) on fantasy.  Will this hurt him?  He's been a beast.  

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Haskins may not be the second coming of joe Montana but he was not in a good situation. I wonder what he would cost in a trade. Better backup than barkley 

True.  I live my Buckeyes, but I never saw Haskins as NFL starter material. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Haskins may not be the second coming of joe Montana but he was not in a good situation. I wonder what he would cost in a trade. Better backup than barkley 

Maybe slot him into the Fromm role if he's not ready to supplant Barkley yet. The kid has upside if developed right.

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

The Bills stuck with their guy because he showed real leadership and promise. Allen at the very least provided an impact on the ground and after the first few games and looking a little lost he came back from injury and looked different at the end of his rookie year. We even went .500 down the stretch with him so we were winning games. In his second year we go 10-6 and make the playoffs. Haskins has not made any progress from his rookie year and his poor play is causing them to lose games in a winnable division. They have a nice defensive line and between Gibson and McClaurin (who is a star playing with an erratic qb) there are some things to work with. Kyle Allen will get them some wins. He is a nice backup or low end starter but even that is an improvement over Haskins. 

Not saying he will ever get close to Allen but they have had similar passing numbers through this part of their career.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HaskDw00.htm
Kyle Allen has very similar numbers too and got worse the more he played.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleKy00.htm

also, now there is a chance Alex Smith might play and that seems like the worst idea ever.  Again, I have no idea how good Haskins will be.  I just know he got thrown into a dumpster fire of a franchise and wasn’t given a chance to grow into a role.  I hate what bad teams do to young QBs.

Lot of people clutching their pearls on behalf of Haskins, but why not see what they have in Allen?  Perhaps they think he can be developed better than Haskins.  The decision making should not be driven by the players' respective draft position.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I get this, but most teams are screwed if they lose their starter anyway. Why not do everything you can to prop up your starter? Its one thing if you have doubts about your guy, but if you know hes the guy just support him best you can

Read a quote once when a reporter asked a Colts coach why Jim Sorgi never got any reps. "If 18 (Manning) goes down were F*****. We don't practice F*****"

This is why I think if Barkley isnt back next year, its more likely that Davis Webb is the backup than some developmental guy

59 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Still can’t help but think about the tragedy that was Alex Smith.

what were they, 8-3 on the day of the game he got injured? 

would love it if he could make it back and do something.  Nothing against the other two guys. 

Donuts, the only thing I can think is the unproven reports Alex still has a drag in his ankle or foot might be real with that level of nerve damage.  I wanted to see him play all along given he was medically cleared, but maybe it’s worse than we thought.  Bones usually heal stronger, but maybe that nerve damage he can only come back so much.  What’s between his ears and arm is. More than enough to put him back as the starter.  Allen is a nice backup and Rivera trusts him as he developed him in Carolina, but Alex has learned so many systems with what 114 offensive coordinators in his career (Exaggerating for a point he can pick up about anything), he would be the best shot at winning if really healthy.  Those doctors have their licenses on the line, so he must be good enough to practice.  I’d love to see him out there.  That would be awesome.  I always liked that guys decision making and fortitude.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Still can’t help but think about the tragedy that was Alex Smith.

what were they, 8-3 on the day of the game he got injured? 

would love it if he could make it back and do something.  Nothing against the other two guys. 

Absolutely agree. It'd be a great story if he could make it back on the field.

Still think one of the oddest things was that his gruesome injury occurred on the anniversary of Theismann's gruesome injury. 

• Like (+1) 2