Should the Bills play the Broncos?

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please narrowly restrict discussion in this thread to the NFL and NFL policies about covid-19

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

23 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

The Infield fly rule would come into play ;) 

Beat me to it

I don't think they have one otherwise they would have shortened the season to 14 games giving them 3 weeks of room to maneuver.

14 games means players forfeit two game checks each... was never going to happen. 

40 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I don't think they have one otherwise they would have shortened the season to 14 games giving them 3 weeks of room to maneuver.

I would hope at least privately they discussed parameters around extending/shortening the season and forfeits based on how bad things get. 

My vote is to extend the season unless the postponements become untenable. More weeks of football == more fun. I know some folks will complain about competitive advantages but that just doesn't bother me that much this year.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Maybe the Bills should play the Broncos since they are both in the same situation.  They are talking about it on WGR and Jeremy White brings up a good point.

The league doesn't want to move the Chiefs/Bills TNF game.  

Baseball did this when the Marlins had their outbreak.  They flipped games here and there to make it work.

In theory, it's a possibility.

In practice, it's a huge competitive disadvantage for both teams since they've already watched a ***** ton of film to prepare for their scheduled opponents.

Baseball has a lot less gameplanning and strategy.

It does seem worth considering as it could probably be done if they pull the trigger today, and would probably be better than some of the alternatives.

40 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

14 games means players forfeit two game checks each... was never going to happen. 

I admittedly don't know the hairy details of the CBA, but in extraordinary circumstances, theoretically, the NFL and clubs could agree to pay them for those games?

A lot of other employers around the world have "given Blood" by paying employees all or part of their salaries while they were shut down.  Why shouldn't the NFL "give Blood" and adapt to extraordinary circumstances by making this right?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Maybe the Bills should play the Broncos since they are both in the same situation.  They are talking about it on WGR and Jeremy White brings up a good point.

The league doesn't want to move the Chiefs/Bills TNF game.  

Baseball did this when the Marlins had their outbreak.  They flipped games here and there to make it work.

Not sure how this helps a lot.  

The Bills would get a game in - although with limited prep time and no advanced film for either team.  The bigger issue is NE and Tennessee don’t play so moving that game just means they would have to figure out how to move 5 or 6 other games to accommodate this move.  

I don’t have a simple answer, but at this point I see no reason why NE/Denver would not be played.  The only major issue flows around the Titans and they no longer have a bye - so they either need to forfeit a game, cancel a game, or utilize the SuperBowl bye week and have an extra game at the end of the season.

Baseball got away with it by switching games on teams that were going to play and then not having the same number of games at the end of the season and accepting that meant some teams with fewer games played made the playoffs because of games they missed.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think the Bills should play the Broncos.

The Titans play the Patriots Monday Night.  

This way the Bills/Chiefs game doesn't have to be moved.

Except the Titan/Pats do not play this year - so are you now adding games?

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

McDermott and Vrabel should cage fight in an Octagon to determine the winner of this game.

Vrabel has the size but I think McDermott has the fight of a pitbull in him.  I take McDermott, 2’d round TKO via ground and pound.

I take McDermott 100% in a fair fight but given his Cheatriots background I say Vrabel would fight dirty and cheat.  McNasty might still come out and prevail.

44 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Well, if the Titans keep this up, they won't be able to reschedule another game, so they will still be missing those game checks. 

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Does anyone know what the NFL's contingency plan was for postponed games?

Having the Bills play the Broncos this week just ensures that one more game gets played. The opening a slot in the schedule on December 20 doesn't necessarily help the rescheduling issues.

Prior to the season - I believe it was Jerry Jones that talked on Sirius NFL Radio that the NFL had several contingency plans and would address them as needed.  One included the fact that the NFL had the ability to in theory to push back the SuperBowl by a couple of weeks as the area did not have any additional large events - allowing them the ability to add weeks - even using the week before the Super Bowl if they don’t move it.

They also acknowledged their may have to be forfeits or cancelled games and the season may not be fair for every team.  They were going to cross each bridge as they came up.

My guess is they are looking at every possibility and want to keep things as even as possible, but may face a reality that they cannot continue and need to address things immediately.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I admittedly don't know the hairy details of the CBA, but in extraordinary circumstances, theoretically, the NFL and clubs could agree to pay them for those games?

A lot of other employers around the world have "given Blood" by paying employees all or part of their salaries while they were shut down.  Why shouldn't the NFL "give Blood" and adapt to extraordinary circumstances by making this right?

Well, this is what held baseball up for months. It had nothing to do with safety or protocols... it was strictly because they had to shorten the season and players wanted their full wages and the owners only wanted to pay for roughly 60 games no matter how many games they played. 

The NFL was the only sport out of season when everything got shut down... so they were able to plan ahead. They were negotiating these things far in advance, but at one point there were significant issues over money. The players are never going to budge and the owners are never going to pay more for less games. 

Less games means less TV revenue, coupled with no ticket sales and you have some cash flow issues on the owners end. They typically just reinvest all money made from the NFL back into their team. Most people don’t recognize that sports owners aren’t necessarily cash liquid where they can just throw money at their team. 

If I’m not mistaken, Pegula had to sell significant investments in order to obtain the capital to purchase the Bills, because their net worth isn’t liquid. At least not the point where they can just casually write a check for a team or 53 players + coaches and staff. 

EDIT: 

The Buffalo Sabres owner closed on a $1.75 billion deal to sell the drilling rights on about 75,000 acres of land in Ohio and West Virginia to American Energy on Tuesday. The sale was announced by American Energy and in a release issued by PR Newswire.

The agreement between Pegula's East Resources Inc. and Oklahoma-based American Energy was first reached in June.

The sale comes at a time when Pegula and wife Kim are considered the front-runners to buy the Bills, who are for sale after Hall of Fame owner Ralph Wilson died in March.

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

Well, if the Titans keep this up, they won't be able to reschedule another game, so they will still be missing those game checks. 

Yeah that’s on them 100%. NFLPA agreed to following protocols in order to get their full 16 game salary. 

That’s a group of 53 that were selfish, but they still wouldn’t have willingly dropped from 16 to 14. The other 31 rosters on guys wouldn’t have let them. 

Edited by JGMcD2

2 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Just have the protocol-breaking teams forfeit already.  It's too late in the week to suddenly be game planning for a different opponent.

I was with you on this until I read the OPs suggestion. That is a great solution, it's simple and makes perfect sense. Lets go beat down the Broncos.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In practice, it's a huge competitive disadvantage for both teams since they've already watched a ***** ton of film to prepare for their scheduled opponents.

But it both teams have the same competitive disadvantage there is no a competitive disadvantage

there is no spoon - Google Search | Keanu reeves, The matrix movie, Glitch  in the matrix

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Estro said:

I suppose its an idea that's possible, but I'm sure the Bills would want no part of it.  

Denver is a further road trip than Nashville and with a quick turnaround to face the Chiefs this Thursday thats somethng the Bills would surely not appreaciate.

If we were playing a game next Sunday vs. the Chiefs I'd think a move like that would be more of a possibility, but with a game Thursday I just dont see it happening

play Denver on Sunday, put someone else on Thursday, and move the game to Sunday night?  (game should be high ratings.  Two of the top 4  AFC teams according to many people) 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

play Denver on Sunday, put someone else on Thursday, and move the game to Sunday night?  (game should be high ratings.  Two of the top 4  AFC teams according to many people) 

Ok. Something strange is going on here. There's a lot of sensible talk happening on this board today!! 

It's like we are in the 4th quarter of 2020 and we're finding out that we're been playing against the Atlanta Falcons 😂