Titans player test positive today 10/7

BillsMafi$
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please narrowly restrict discussion in this thread to the NFL and NFL-related covid policy and issue.  It is acceptable to provide links to NFL policies and explanations of NFL policies provided they come from high-factual sources.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Lol one team (or a significant number of members of it) broke a clear order from the league and the other didn’t and “it’s not fair” to punish the one who broke the rule? Okay buddy

You are assuming that teams are only getting infections because they broke the rules.  Maybe that's true for the Titans, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the Patriots.  Moreover, the Raiders, a team that definitely broke the rules, has had like 1 positive test so far.    Covid is extremely easy to spread because people are infectious anywhere from 2-4 days before they show any symptoms (apparently, including testing positive).   Whether the virus gets into a team seems to me to be much more about luck than anything else.  All it takes is one contact with the wrong person at the wrong time.

6 minutes ago, SoTier said:

You are assuming that teams are only getting infections because they broke the rules.  Maybe that's true for the Titans, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the Patriots.  Moreover, the Raiders, a team that definitely broke the rules, has had like 1 positive test so far.    Covid is extremely easy to spread because people are infectious anywhere from 2-4 days before they show any symptoms (apparently, including testing positive).   Whether the virus gets into a team seems to me to be much more about luck than anything else.  All it takes is one contact with the wrong person at the wrong time.

It should be assumed at all times that if there's a rule, the Patriots broke it.

I didn't take @JoPoy88's point to be a general assumption about infections, but a point that if you treat the Titans Steelers and Bills the same yet it can be shown the Titans broke clear directives from the league to stay apart and not practice, that ain't right.

I tend to believe that a lot of teams have been pretty lax about infection control procedures the league actually may have mandated from the start, such as mask wearing whenever possible within the facility, and on the practice field.   But I'm a bit vague on what the actual approved protocols for the facilities were.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, SoTier said:

who are we talking about in this thread again? Right the titans. I am not assuming anything and I am not advocating for a team to be punished to the extent of a forfeit just simply for having positive cases. The team broke a mandate not to gather and practice. It appears several players said “eh” to that and went to a high school and did it anyways. Maybe you missed that but that’s where I was coming from.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Greg S said:

Then maybe the league needs to keep January open for make up games. Why do the playoffs have to start in January? No reason the Super Bowl can't be played in early March. The Stanley Cup was won in October as will the NBA Finals.

Superbowl needs to be played in sweeps month which occurs in February for it helps set the high advertising rate NFL and NFLPA want.  I know ratings are outdated but they are still used.

https://www.newscaststudio.com/resources/sweeps-dates/#:~:text=Four times every year are,often extend into neighboring months.

Four times every year are ratings periods commonly known as “sweeps.” These periods are typically held in February, May, July and November, though the actual dates often extend into neighboring months.

Although larger markets are now metered electronically year round, smaller and midsize markets still use paper diaries that are mailed to millions of homes across the country during these select periods.

Households are asked to track the programs watched by each household member for seven days (or eight days if the home has a DVR). The diaries are then returned to the Nielsen Company, which then tabulates and provides the data to television stations, advertisers and other interested parties.

8 hours ago, scribo said:

There is a requirement in the CBL that a team must have two days of practice between games. It is in there in case, such as this, a facility is closed or weather keeps players from being able to get to the facility. I am not sure if a team's players are able to waive that, but I don't think so. Not sure if practicing on Saturday is an option for a Sunday game.

They could practice elsewhere like they do during training camp and if they were smart all teams would be looking at alternate practice sites especially with colleges and (in Texas) high schools closed down.  Issue is where they play the game but with no fans less of an issue.

8 hours ago, Mickey said:

Nonfact factoid. The only possible outcomes are play as scheduled, postpone, cancel or forfeit. None of these has been eliminated so it is true that the game "could" be canceled. They are not saying it will be or even that it will likely be forfeited, just saying it is within the realm of possibility. Very informative, no?

Yes it is speculative talk.  The world could rebel and an asteroid could hit Titans facility.  

Better talk would be as you wrote - state the possibilities according to new rules and which ones have been used in past.

Not exactly sure difference between cancel (other than season) and forfeit is.

8 hours ago, Yobogoya! said:

Then they go ahead and schedule Thursday games as well, just being greedy and stupid. Talk about having no plan. 

They had contract issues with Thursday night games.  Some including players not like them but NFL and NFLPA like the revenue.

Just now, Virgil said:

Is it weird that there hasn't been a response from the NFL on this yet?

I'd at least like them to figure out if we're playing them this week or not. Whatever they decide forfeit/reschedule they can decide that later but I'd just like us to know if we're still on the Titans or KC.

6 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Add in a missed game check for the players and compliance will shoot up.

They are already doing that per last memo.  Needs to apply to coaches too,

Also some players have so much salary changed into signing bonus that it is not as much impact on them as you think.

22 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Is it weird that there hasn't been a response from the NFL on this yet?

I think the NFL is waiting for the next round of testing. 

If it's positive, and the Titans need 2 days of negatives before getting into the facility and 2 days of practice before the game (CBA mandate), the Sunday game is toast and they don't have to navigate any issues about whether the Titans have really contained their outbreak or are placing Bills players at risk.  They can then investigate and sort out discipline to the Titans (if any) for violating protocol at their leisure.

53 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

They could practice elsewhere like they do during training camp and if they were smart all teams would be looking at alternate practice sites especially with colleges and (in Texas) high schools closed down.  Issue is where they play the game but with no fans less of an issue.

I think this is missing the point.  The team is locked out of the facility because if infections are still cropping up, they don't want the players and coaches to get together and continue the spread.  It doesn't really matter if it's the Titans facility or the facility at St Frances Miracle of East Beelzebub High School for that. 

See: Green Eggs and Ham, Dr Seuss.

• Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes it is speculative talk.  The world could rebel and an asteroid could hit Titans facility.  

Better talk would be as you wrote - state the possibilities according to new rules and which ones have been used in past.

I think cancel would be that the game simply isn't counted.  A forfeit would give the team that caused the forfeit to have an additional loss while the team that they were supposed to play gets an extra win.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

The bills players were exposed to the virus against the Raiders. Gilmore testing positive exposes the talking point of a single positive test today meaning only one player has it so the game should be played.

Pause the season for a week across the entire league and shift week 5 back a week. Why go through the headache of juggling a schedule, just lift and shift. It's not like the venues have to deal with scheduling around concerts and other events right now.

I can't even imagine being Morse and trying to prepare for an NFL game right now.

The Raiders players were POTENTIALLY exposed but the Raider who players played were tested prior to game on their usual schedule.

The Bills players were not necessarily exposed because they played again those players.

NFL should consider making Titans travel rather than Bills go to Titans' facility

Edited by Limeaid
reworded

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Cancel the game: those two teams play one less game, post season based on winning percentage. Awful but I guess it would be possible.

• Like (+1) 1