Titans player test positive today 10/7

BillsMafi$
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please narrowly restrict discussion in this thread to the NFL and NFL-related covid policy and issue.  It is acceptable to provide links to NFL policies and explanations of NFL policies provided they come from high-factual sources.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

8 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Ugh...this season is going to be a challenge. Not sure how it will shape out, but we should enjoy each week we get to play.

Im not a supporter of forfeits. I want real wins. This wheel could land on us someday, and we need to be flexible, even if a violation occured, Id punish the team another way.

RichRider... truer words could not be spoken. YE OLE tends to agree vis-à-vis forfeiture. Even if the league dropped the hammer on the Titans now and called a forfeit, what would happen if a Bills player tested positive later this week? Then one could claim the game would’ve had to be rescheduled anyway.

The league built in a ton of flexibility roster wise in terms of IR flexibility, extended practice squads, and so on. However, it seems they are short on solutions to get the games played. It doesn’t matter that you can call up a small army from the practice squad, because in the event you need to, the circumstances dictate that the game is canceled anyway.

Edited by Cotton Fitzsimmons

33 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

The league completely shot themselves in the foot by not scheduling extra bye weeks throughout the year as a buffer. Honestly I think they should have at least 2 every year anyway, but this year more than ever it was a no brainer. 

Then they go ahead and schedule Thursday games as well, just being greedy and stupid. Talk about having no plan. 

I agree with your first point. It creates mayhem with the pandemic. I don't agree with your second point. Getting the Bills to play the Titans Sunday/Monday/Tuesday is just shoehorning a game for the sake of it. It is prioritizing a single game but risking the entire season. Why risk actually derailing the season.

Right now there is a week 18 option to make this game up. If it works out great, if it doesn't then the Titans take the L. If I am the league, I wouldn't call this a forfeit up front. Just a delay with the option of forfeit in the future. 

What the league needs to do is shut down and get their shirts together for a week or two, and regroup with a shortened schedule and built in league wide bye weeks. Probably includes canceling all out of conference games moving forward. 

42 minutes ago, teef said:

when would it be announced that the game if off?  friday?

That is what I want to know! When will it be announced!

10 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

So would you prefer the Bills to lose home field advantage if they go by win % and they did not get a chance for a win?

That would happen?!!?!?! 😧 Well, they don't need to forfeit!  Just reschedule the game!

Edited by sonyab1974

24 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

The Titans are supposed to play the Ravens Week 11. It’s a difficult puzzle, gents!

yeah it’s like one of those little slider puzzles that they sell in the Oriental Trading catalog, except instead of 9 squares, it’s like 200.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Hapless, you are the authority on this one, but I think this player has to be negative a couple of times along with anyone contact traced near him, and then they could play on Monday.  That means the Chiefs game would most likely be moved to Sunday and probably swapped with a game that would have been on Unday moved up.  For ratings I’m sure they would want the Bucs, Packs, or the Browns Steelers moved up if they can even do that. 

This is the new normal and expect a ton of movement the rest of the season.  They are going to do everything possible to keep the season going, amd are going be a juggling act all season.  It’s just not worth being upset as it is going to be the 2020 normal.

In the patriots game cam could not play. The players who did test positive earlier..the 8.. can’t play in the game. This person can’t play in the game.  

They mived the game only to Clear other players.

8 minutes ago, Process said:

If they start making teams forfeit this whole season becomes a joke. The SB winner will already have an asterisk, start forfeiting games and you can throw on a few more *****

If the league finds the Titans broke mandated protocols and procedures a more equitable thing might be to give the Titans a loss but not award the Bills a win.  And then account for this in determining tie breakers and other impacts to playoff seeding and the standings.  That might be fairer to the rest of the league than gifting the Bills a win. 

But if I'm the Bills I'd be more than cautious here.  I wouldn't want to expose my team to the Titans at this point under any circumstances.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Ya but do we really want to have a free win on our record? I have mixed feelings about that. 

Same here.  On one hand, I definitely don't want the Bills to be penalized for some other team's problem.  Making this game up in Week 18 while everybody else gets a bye would tick me off.  On the other hand, I want the Bills to knock off another undefeated team and not have any asterisks attached to this season's record.

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

Same here.  On one hand, I definitely don't want the Bills to be penalized for some other team's problem.  Making this game up in Week 18 while everybody else gets a bye would tick me off.  On the other hand, I want the Bills to knock off another undefeated team and not have any asterisks attached to this season's record.

No one asterisks the 1987 season or Washington's Super Bowl. No one will asterisk this season. It will have some unique stories, but it will still count like all the others.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What I read was it will be a forfeit  IF

It's deemed Tenn or its players violated NFL protocol which sounds like might be the case, but not yet established.

People keep suggesting making the game up in January, not just for Buffalo but any others that get canceled.  Both these teams likely could be in the playoffs.  Who's in favor of playing a makeup game week 18 while potentially the rest of the playoff teams have a bye?  The only way I see it would be close to being fair would be to have the make ups 2 weeks prior to the end  so everyone plays games the last two weeks.  And there's a plan ZZ for any required make ups the last two weeks.  Maybe as simple as go to winning percentage instead of record.

Just now, RichRiderBills said:

The league can shift everything back. Theres no games with 65k fans going to happen, and even the Super Bowl will be movable as it will be a TV event. 

The NFL likely has secret plans to shift games and push the whole season back. 

If they were thinking about doing that, they should have made that call immediately after the MNF games this week. It would have given the entire league a 13 day break to separate and quarantine. Too late to do now for any meaningful affect.

If the game somehow gets moved to Monday/Tuesday, it will be interesting to see who else is on the COVID list for them.  They are already down some big names.  They are thin at WR.

53 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

The league completely shot themselves in the foot by not scheduling extra bye weeks throughout the year as a buffer. Honestly I think they should have at least 2 every year anyway, but this year more than ever it was a no brainer. 

Then they go ahead and schedule Thursday games as well, just being greedy and stupid. Talk about having no plan. 

Likely half the schedule was completed before anyone even heard of Covid.  By the time it was released things were known, but many things done last spring particularly in sports but  even in other areas were based on things being better in the fall.  If they knew things were going to be the way they are now, why not have played the Master in April, was better than it is now for example.

As has been stated it is easy to just stop this week and do a reset, though that could be a bad idea if things become even worse.  Right now the issue is only one team, though the Bills have to worry some now that one of the Raiders tested positive.  I'm sure they will be getting extra tests this week themselves.

16 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

What I read was it will be a forfeit  IF

It's deemed Tenn or its players violated NFL protocol which sounds like might be the case, but not yet established.

People keep suggesting making the game up in January, not just for Buffalo but any others that get canceled.  Both these teams likely could be in the playoffs.  Who's in favor of playing a makeup game week 18 while potentially the rest of the playoff teams have a bye?  The only way I see it would be close to being fair would be to have the make ups 2 weeks prior to the end  so everyone plays games the last two weeks.  And there's a plan ZZ for any required make ups the last two weeks.  Maybe as simple as go to winning percentage instead of record.

Obviously if a game does not impact playoff seeding it probably wouldn't be made up. It makes more sense to pause the season a few weeks to get this outbreak under control. Maybe even lob off a few games, from 16 to 14 or 12.