Titans player test positive today 10/7

BillsMafi$
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please narrowly restrict discussion in this thread to the NFL and NFL-related covid policy and issue.  It is acceptable to provide links to NFL policies and explanations of NFL policies provided they come from high-factual sources.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

34 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Hapless, you are the authority on this one, but I think this player has to be negative a couple of times along with anyone contact traced near him, and then they could play on Monday.  That means the Chiefs game would most likely be moved to Sunday and probably swapped with a game that would have been on Unday moved up.  For ratings I’m sure they would want the Bucs, Packs, or the Browns Steelers moved up if they can even do that. 

This is the new normal and expect a ton of movement the rest of the season.  They are going to do everything possible to keep the season going, amd are going be a juggling act all season.  It’s just not worth being upset as it is going to be the 2020 normal.

As I understand it, the problem isn't the player who just tested positive.  He has to go through the NFL's flowcharted procedure that's been posted and the Titans just have to plan to play without him, unless it's shown to be a false positive by two negative tests 24 hrs apart.  (He's likely been given a confirmatory POC test already pre-announcement) [Edit: yes he has]

The problem on a team having an outbreak, they want to be sure they caught and isolated all the infected players to avoid further spread.  Thus NFL requires two consecutive days without further positive tests.  So at this point, the Titans can't get back in their facility until Friday at earliest (need Weds tests reported Thurs am, and Thurs tests reported Fri am to be clear).  

The Titans closed their facility Tuesday week in response to Monday's test results.  At this point it's been closed for 9 days.  The curated covid-19 links in the header Message give info about the normal incubation window for covid-19.

I am unclear on why it was said they had to get back in Weds. to play Sunday - Anyone?

14 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Then maybe the league needs to keep January open for make up games. Why do the playoffs have to start in January? No reason the Super Bowl can't be played in early March. The Stanley Cup was won in October as will the NBA Finals.

I think that that will have to happen. Adding additional weeks to the season to get games in. Unless those games are moot to the playoffs seedings.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As I understand it, the problem isn't the player who just tested positive.  He has to go through the NFL's flowcharted procedure that's been posted and the Titans just have to plan to play without him, unless it's shown to be a false positive by two negative tests 24 hrs apart.  (He's likely been given a confirmatory POC test already pre-announcement)

The problem on a team having an outbreak, they want to be sure they caught and isolated all the infected players to avoid further spread.  Thus NFL requires two consecutive days without further positive tests.  So at this point, the Titans can't get back in their facility until Friday at earliest (need Weds tests reported Thurs am, and Thurs tests reported Fri am to be clear).  

The Titans closed their facility Tuesday week in response to Monday's test results.  At this point it's been closed for 9 days.  The curated covid-19 links in the header Message give info about the normal incubation window for covid-19.

I am unclear on why it was said they had to get back in Weds. to play Sunday - Anyone?

There is a requirement in the CBL that a team must have two days of practice between games. It is in there in case, such as this, a facility is closed or weather keeps players from being able to get to the facility. I am not sure if a team's players are able to waive that, but I don't think so. Not sure if practicing on Saturday is an option for a Sunday game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, scribo said:

There is a requirement in the CBL that a team must have two days of practice between games. It is in there in case, such as this, a facility is closed or weather keeps players from being able to get to the facility. I am not sure if a team's players are able to waive that, but I don't think so. Not sure if practicing on Saturday is an option for a Sunday game.

Thank you very much for the explanation! 

So in theory, if they were clear Weds. and got in Thurs or Friday, they could have met the requirements?

But a positive test today means they can't get into the facility until ....Friday at the earliest.  They can get 2 days Fri and Sat if that's allowed.

I guess a key question is whether no practice 24 hrs before game is also collectively bargained?   Likewise, a rest day after a game?

If we have to play Monday,  and if there has to be a rest day before and after, that would mean the league can't try to get us to play Thurs, which would relieve my troubled mind.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

So they should forfeit week 4 and 5. Flip the bye to 6 that’s plenty of time to isolate play Texas week 7.

We get ready for KC Thursday.

BING-O

Ya but do we really want to have a free win on our record? I have mixed feelings about that. 

3 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Ya but do we really want to have a free win on our record? I have mixed feelings about that. 

I agree but I think we have to accept that this season will be filled with less than perfect solutions and a fair amount of unfairness. We gotta do what we gotta do.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Just have the Titans forfeit the next two weeks so they can quarantine the entire organization.  You have to draw the line somewhere.  I absolutely don't want my team anywhere near them at this point.

I’d agree with this. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1