Anyone working polls this year

shoshin

Some calls went out for volunteers this year because the usual workers are older and more at risk people so I volunteered. I’m the Republican clerk in a precinct adjacent mine (that shares my voting location conveniently). Clerk is the second lowest job but that’s fine by me. I have some training to do and I’ll report my experience after the third. 

Anyone else done this or doing it?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

As a worker inside ???

Or as Poll Watcher? 

Other than harass people entering and leaving.......  WTF is a Poll Watcher supposed to verify if they have to stay 100 feet away from a Voting Place? 

call the authorities if they see Hilldog and Putin together ? 

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

As a worker inside ???

Or as Poll Watcher? 

Other than harass people entering and leaving.......  WTF is a Poll Watcher supposed to verify if they have to stay 100 feet away from a Voting Place? 

Not a watcher. I don’t know what that is other than a party “witness” sort of thing. 

Yes inside. Verifying sign ins. Dealing with something we have in PA called provisional ballots. Handling surrendered mail in ballots. Maintaining machines. Etc. Each major party has a few positions allotted to them in every precinct and those people run the show inside.

I assume some people in here do this given how invested they are in politics. Wondering what their experiences are. 

Edited by shoshin

10 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Not a watcher. I don’t know what that is other than a party “witness” sort of thing. 

Yes inside. Verifying sign ins. Dealing with something we have in PA called provisional ballots. Handling surrendered mail in ballots. Maintaining machines. Etc. Each major party has a few positions allotted to them in every precinct and those people run the show inside.

I assume some people in here do this given how invested they are in politics. Wondering what their experiences are. 

Don has asked his subjects to gather outside Voting 

President Trump and other GOP officials have encouraged “poll watchers” to monitor voting, and the president told his constituents during last week’s debate to “go into the polls and watch very carefully.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/colorado-ag-says-voter-intimidation-will-be-prosecuted

That is voter intimidation.  It is a crime

In PA

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-campaign-court-action-philadelphia-poll-watchers

A potential lawsuit would be filed against the Office of the Philadelphia City Commissioners over their alleged refusal to admit poll watchers into satellite offices to observe the voting process.

36 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

As a worker inside ???

Or as Poll Watcher? 

Poll watchers can go into the voting area.  It's an important job, particularly in a close city race.  Poll watchers ensure that there is no politicking inside the polling location, that the poll workers aren't encouraging people to vote for a certain candidate (e.g., saying "write in this name here"), make sure voting machines work, watch for election law violations (e.g., bags of groceries with a candidate's name sitting inside the polling location), and pull turnout counts, among other things.  They also pick up cross out lists from friendly poll workers and run those outside to campaign workers.  It's a very important job.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Thanks for volunteering. Not enough people do.

9 minutes ago, westside2 said:

Thanks for volunteering. Not enough people do.

I wouldn’t have if not for the call and especially the Covid circumstances. I don’t think anyone is being disenfranchised of their vote this year more than any other (especially pre 1950!) but with all the inflamed rhetoric, it’s important that things get done right this year and it’s not fair to have seniors doing it in Covid. Whoever wins, wins and hopefully there’s no reason for debate and the loser concedes with dignity. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Poll watchers can go into the voting area.  It's an important job, particularly in a close city race.  Poll watchers ensure that there is no politicking inside the polling location, that the poll workers aren't encouraging people to vote for a certain candidate (e.g., saying "write in this name here"), make sure voting machines work, watch for election law violations (e.g., bags of groceries with a candidate's name sitting inside the polling location), and pull turnout counts, among other things.  They also pick up cross out lists from friendly poll workers and run those outside to campaign workers.  It's a very important job.  

no, no. Sorry.  

you are misinterpreting Don’s intentions 

Don wants his Fans to rally outside of voting locations to make sure people aka filthy liberals are not trying to steal the election 

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

no, no. Sorry.  

you are misinterpreting Don’s intentions 

Don wants his Fans to rally outside of voting locations to make sure people aka filthy liberals are not trying to steal the election 

Yeah that’s a little different from poll watching. 

On 10/7/2020 at 6:06 AM, shoshin said:

Some calls went out for volunteers this year because the usual workers are older and more at risk people so I volunteered. I’m the Republican clerk in a precinct adjacent mine (that shares my voting location conveniently). Clerk is the second lowest job but that’s fine by me. I have some training to do and I’ll report my experience after the third. 

Anyone else done this or doing it?

Republican... that's funny

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

I'm surprised that nobody thought of Kamala here yet. I understand she works the polls (sp) pretty well. She dropped out of her POTUS race quite early after her support dropped to 1%. I wonder what she did to get the VP nod? 

Well known to Biden and his family. A good counterbalance to his age, sex, and race--and politics. Shows you can disagree and still work together.