Anybody here like to fish?

Westside

I like to fish, but I haven't in a long time.

My last experience was in Alaska when Salmon were running. You had to watch your back because of the bears, and also Fish & Game.officers.

I missed out on a chance to fish for Halibut. :( My favorite to eat.

I may try a charter here in Buffalo: I've never fished fresh water and could use expert assistance.

2 hours ago, westside2 said:

Thank you for the advice. I want to get up to lake erie and do some walleye fishing. From what I heard Lake Erie is the best. I also want to fish Lake Champlain, I heard the water is really clean there.

There's nothing like catfish fishing at night. They put up a heckuva fight!

They definitely do.  Caught any steelhead in the rivers?  Different fight than cats, but very exhilarating also.  Fish them on the bottom mostly, one of the things I love the most is when they're in 1-3 foot of water and you set the hook they immediately roil the water because they're so pissed off at the indignity, then it's on!

https://www.tamarac.ca/

If anyone is interested in the fishing trip of a lifetime, check these guys out.  We’ve been up to Lac Hebert about a dozen times.  It’s a bit of a trip but well worth it.  The last time we went up was September 2018.  Caught around 1,500 walleye in the first 3 days.  Unfortunately, horrible weather rolled through and ruined the last couple days, but we still had a blast.  We had to hire another plane just to fly our beer in 😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, westside2 said:

Wow, that's a hog!!!

Must have been fun reeling it in!!

We went tarpon fishing in Boca Grande, FL one time. I was the only one to hook one and reeling it in was a ridiculous task! It seemed to take FOREVER and my biceps were seriously burning! BOTH our boys were there with their giant biceps from daily trips to the gym, and BOTH wanted to fight that thing. I wanted nothing more than for it to just be over, unfortunately that meant deciding who I gave it to. That was an impossible decision so I just kept fighting it. Once it got to the boat and I got a good look at it I was ready to just throw the rod and reel into the water. It was a MONSTER! I was very happy to see the guide release that giant ugly fish!

My biceps hurt for a week.......

I didn’t realize I had so many fishing memories. I took the older son (maybe 5 at the time?) to a lagoon up the road from our house in Hilton Head, SC to fish for the little guys in there. He slipped on the bank and slid down toward the water. I was actually laughing as he scrambled....then I remembered there were alligators in those lagoons. Laughter ceased immediately and I pulled him up ASAP! That memory never left either of us. It took a while until we could both laugh about it......

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Irv said:

The salmon are starting to come in the rivers.  They don't always bite when spawning.  Steelhead and browns will be in the rivers eating salmon eggs around November.  All those Lake Erie ribs produce.  The best day I've had in a long time catching smallmouth was off of Buffalo Harbor 10/20/19.   Shallow water.  Perch will start coming in closer too.  Best day I've had in a while was November 23rd in Irondequoit Bay.  We are very lucky to live in Western, NY.  Low water is a little problematic but if you fish where a dam is, they can usually control it a little so you have some water.   

Where at the buffalo harbour? A few years ago I would go to Buffalo Harbour state park, fish off the rocks. But haven't had any luck recently and only went once this summer. 

16 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

They definitely do.  Caught any steelhead in the rivers?  Different fight than cats, but very exhilarating also.  Fish them on the bottom mostly, one of the things I love the most is when they're in 1-3 foot of water and you set the hook they immediately roil the water because they're so pissed off at the indignity, then it's on!

I love fishing for steelhead, I mostly caught mine in creeks and streams during their run. That was over 20 years ago though. Looking forward to it this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i just tried fly fishing for the first time out west. It was really cool— but also a lot harder than I thought with the casting. 

I do a charter to the Gulfstream with my boys every other year or so. 

Yellowfin is the preferred target.

Would love to catch a wahoo, but it's a completely different tackle setup because of their teeth.

I do a fair amount of fly fishing in the Blue Ridge streams every year, and it is a lot of work.

Trees, wind....Just lots of things that make it challenging.

Sure enjoy bagging those trout though.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Leaving in about a half hour with my dad. We are hoping that the white bass are beginning the fall run. We've been only a couple of times in the past month and had no luck. Dad has hooked a small (~30 inches) alligator gar both times. As feeocious as they look, once you get them turned toward you, they put up very little fight. 

When the sandies (in Ok, white bass are known as sand bass, or sandies) are running they are a ton of fun. Sometimes you can literally fish with two or three jigs on the line and catch multiple fish on one cast! Wish us luck!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Leaving in about a half hour with my dad. We are hoping that the white bass are beginning the fall run. We've been only a couple of times in the past month and had no luck. Dad has hooked a small (~30 inches) alligator gar both times. As feeocious as they look, once you get them turned toward you, they put up very little fight. 

When the sandies (in Ok, white bass are known as sand bass, or sandies) are running they are a ton of fun. Sometimes you can literally fish with two or three jigs on the line and catch multiple fish on one cast! Wish us luck!

Good luck, have fun and enjoy time spent with your dad. Great memories!😊

38 minutes ago, westside2 said:

Good luck, have fun and enjoy time spent with your dad. Great memories!😊

Well, I am checking in here, so that ought tell you something. But, you are right, it is not always about catching.

EDIT: minutes after this post, the sun peaked out and Dad pulled in a 5 lb blue cat. Looking up.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Tight lines!

• Like (+1) 1

I have been fishing for over 70 years.  Currently, I'm hooked (no pun intended) on smallmouth bass fishing on upstate NY's Keuka lake.  I have a 19' Glastron Ski & Fish boat that gets a ton of work between late April and mid-October.  I'm strictly a catch and release fisherman.  I figure why kill something that gives me a great deal of pleasure.  Years ago I enjoyed ice fishing, but age has pointed out the foolishness of that for me.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Keukasmallies said:

I have been fishing for over 70 years.  Currently, I'm hooked (no pun intended) on smallmouth bass fishing on upstate NY's Keuka lake.  I have a 19' Glastron Ski & Fish boat that gets a ton of work between late April and mid-October.  I'm strictly a catch and release fisherman.  I figure why kill something that gives me a great deal of pleasure.  Years ago I enjoyed ice fishing, but age has pointed out the foolishness of that for me.

Fly fish 🎣

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.