Anybody here like to fish?

Westside

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Here are a few shots from around work @ the lock & dam:

Screenshot_20201006-220247_Gallery.thumb.jpg.57ee4b464ed02f195660bd4b7b699800.jpg

A co-worker's friend in the barge fleeting area. Last November...

Screenshot_20201006-220216_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6a56e6d9fbc297a03a5b5768c2d35d8f.jpg

The Lock Mechanic fishing right off lock gates.

Screenshot_20201006-215201_Gallery.thumb.jpg.58460afe641ef178dc7d7ee82e29944e.jpg

From GoogleMaps...The pond right behind lock.  Access road in background.

Is the top picture a musky? Those are some nice looking fish!

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Now, the ultimate in "Urban Fishing!" From a year back... Bet @BringBackFergyhas never seen this from his tree stand!  All you need is a jetski to bag this whitetail doe!!!

_IMG_000000_000000.thumb.jpg.21a12f4a6b31823c885cb041d5e02c9e.jpg

Look closely in what swam in for a northbound lockage....

Is that a shark fin????

6 hours ago, flaz said:

I live in Florida and fish as often as I can in fresh and salt water (not often enough). I stopped reaching down to lip my largemouth bass three years ago. I was fishing the canal adjacent to my mom's house, in Estero, when I caught a nice little two pound bass.

Because I fish very light tackle when bass fishing ( 4 or 6 lb. line) it makes the fight much more entertaining. Anyhow, the fish was able to make a run under under the Cyprus stump on which I was standing. I was able to free the little sucker from the roots and as I lipped the fish and pulled it from the water, an 8 foot gator, with mouth agape, rocketed out of the water after my fish AND MY HAND. 

As I turned to run, my foot slipped on a root and down I went, with an 8 footer clamping down on my bass only inches from my foot. I scrambled to my feet and ran up the bank, then realized I had the rod in my hand and it was still attached to the fish. As the gator flipped the fish (to swallow it head first) I yanked it out of its mouth SMDH. The fish was smashed but that damn gator wasn't going to eat my fish!

I don't lip bass anymore 

Holy cow!!!!

That is scary as hell. I often wonder about fishing on shore in Florida. Did that scare you away from fishing on land?

Thanks for sharing that, good for you for not letting the gator get your bass! Lol

6 minutes ago, westside2 said:

Do you like to fish TBBills?

Yea when I lived in Jersey used to fish all the time. I remember being a kid fishing with my dad, people were running out of the water b.c the minnow were running and had thousands of Blue fish going after them. I had never seen something like it before, every time we casted we hooked a Blue. They were beaching themselves chasing the minnow that were running from them. People couldn't go into he water b.c ur fish are nasty when they are feeding.

I also have been on party boats for Fluke, Flounder, went Tuna fishing over night once but didn't catch anything, it was fun watching buddy bring in a 300lb Tuna fighting for what felt like an hour. 

Odd thing is since I came to Florida I stopped fishing... I would love to get back into it but never have the time.

I guess my best time would be with my dad when he would wake me up at 3am to go out, I do miss all of that stuff. Maybe I will ask for a pole for Christmas.

Edited by TBBills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

Yea when I lived in Jersey used to fish all the time. I remember being a kid fishing with my dad, people were running out of the water b.c the minnow were running and had thousands of Blue fish going after them. I had never seen something like it before, every time we casted we hooked a Blue. They were beaching themselves chasing the minnow that were running from them. People couldn't go into he water b.c ur fish are nasty when they are feeding.

I also have been on party boats for Fluke, Flounder, went Tuna fishing over night once but didn't catch anything, it was fun watching buddy bring in a 300lb Tuna fighting for what felt like an hour. 

Odd thing is since I came to Florida I stopped fishing... I would love to get back into it but never have the time.

I guess my best time would be with my dad when he would wake me up at 3am to go out, I do miss all of that stuff. Maybe I will ask for a pole for Christmas.

Sounds like you have some great memories with your dad. I think that's pretty awesome!

Thank you for sharing your story. I really enjoyed it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Here are a few shots from around work @ the lock & dam:

Screenshot_20201006-220247_Gallery.thumb.jpg.57ee4b464ed02f195660bd4b7b699800.jpg

A co-worker's friend in the barge fleeting area. Last November...

Screenshot_20201006-220216_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6a56e6d9fbc297a03a5b5768c2d35d8f.jpg

The Lock Mechanic fishing right off lock gates.

Screenshot_20201006-215201_Gallery.thumb.jpg.58460afe641ef178dc7d7ee82e29944e.jpg

From GoogleMaps...The pond right behind lock.  Access road in background.

That's a nice pike at the top.

We quite often go pike fishing in the river which runs through our city.

Keep it simple. 12lb line to a wire trace which links to a spinner or lure. Just walk the river bank for hours. We very rarely catch much of note but my brother has had a 20lb catch.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BritBill said:

That's a nice pike at the top.

We quite often go pike fishing in the river which runs through our city.

Keep it simple. 12lb line to a wire trace which links to a spinner or lure. Just walk the river bank for hours. We very rarely catch much of note but my brother has had a 20lb catch.

Yeah, that northern was just over 40" (100cm)...

• Like (+1) 1

I've really been drawn to fly fishing the past few years, especially at the high lakes across CO. Yes, we have some world class trout rivers (Frying Pan, Arkansas, etc), but I'm drawn to the more remote areas.

A fly rod kit is very light and a great reason to hike/backpack to remote waters. The trout aren't huge (18" cutthroat is good size), but I love the slow pace and being away from everything.

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I've really been drawn to fly fishing the past few years, especially at the high lakes across CO. Yes, we have some world class trout rivers (Frying Pan, Arkansas, etc), but I'm drawn to the more remote areas.

A fly rod kit is very light and is a great reason to go hike/backpack into obscure areas. The trout aren't huge (18" cutthroat is good size), but I love the slow pace and being away from everything.

My dream is to go to Colorado and do some fly fishing. Between the fishing and the fantastic views, it would be like heaven to me.

16 minutes ago, westside2 said:

My dream is to go to Colorado and do some fly fishing. Between the fishing and the fantastic views, it would be like heaven to me.

Hey, we have ugly places too. Go fish next to the interstate and outlet mall in Dillon...it's gold medal waters, but not exactly tranquil.

There is great variety across the West...there are the Wilderness waters for native trout, the famous rivers loaded with fat browns, countless small streams teeming with brookies and plenty of reservoirs with walleye and salmon.

Fly fishing can have a high PITA factor, especially if there's wind. Practice is not optional.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Hey, we have ugly places too. Go fish next to the interstate and outlet mall in Dillon...it's gold medal waters, but not exactly tranquil.

There is great variety across the West...there are the Wilderness waters for native trout, the famous rivers loaded with fat browns, countless small streams teeming with brookies and plenty of reservoirs with walleye and salmon.

Fly fishing can have a high PITA factor, especially if there's wind. Practice is not optional.

We stopped in Dillon on our way to Steamboat a few years back.  Looked like a Mecca for flying fishing. NOT ugly at all by my standards.  😆 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I was killing the Brook Trout all spring until the weather warmed up.  Once the water temp got above 60-65 the bite just stopped.  Did some bass/pike fishing on Champlain last weekend and we did well.  4 of us in the boat and we caught 20-25 decent sized small mouth.  The last cast of the day I caught a 16 pound northern.  It took me about 15 minutes to get it in the boat.  A lot of fun.  Looking to get a charter for my son and I if my guy can squeeze us in.

I’ve only been ice fishing once in my life.  Looking to get into that this winter.

Some of my fondest memories as a kid was going to fish northerns with my Dad at the old spots he used to fish as a kid around Attica where he grew up.

My Dad is 86 now and still regularly fly-fishes - walks his creeks around WNY.  He looooves WNY and the fishing.  When we visit my son and I go out with him, then come back home and there's no fishing like that around here.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We stopped in Dillon on our way to Steamboat a few years back.  Looked like a Mecca for flying fishing. NOT ugly at all by my standards.  😆 

Steamboat is great for all activities, including fishing! Yampa and Elk Rivers if you want to wade/float for trout, Mt Zirkel and Flat Tops Wilderness if you want to walk for trout. I'd move there tomorrow if I could!

Technically...the outlet mall and interstate runs through Silverthorne, not Dillon (I still screw them up). If you get a few miles north of town, THAT'S where you can scratch the "A River Runs Through It" itch.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Steamboat is great for all seasons, including fishing! Yampa and Elk Rivers if you want to wade, Mt Zirkel and Flat Tops Wilderness if you want to walk.

Technically...the outlet mall and interstate runs through Silverthorne, not Dillon. If you get a few miles north of town, THAT'S where you can scratch the "A River Runs Through It" itch.

LoL... Yup Silverthorne.   The wife had to get "provisions" /smh... It was winter.  Never misses a beat stopping at the outlets.  😕 😞 

• Haha (+1) 1

Yep! Try to go at least once a week

All saltwater, shoreline at night for small game (technique called whipping) or slide bait big rigs for ulua (GTs)

Sometimes my buddy needs a partner on his boat and troll open ocean for yellowfin tuna or drag some lures at the 40fathom for ono (wahoo) and mahimahi

Or take the kayak out and do similar trolling

17 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I was killing the Brook Trout all spring until the weather warmed up.  Once the water temp got above 60-65 the bite just stopped.  Did some bass/pike fishing on Champlain last weekend and we did well.  4 of us in the boat and we caught 20-25 decent sized small mouth.  The last cast of the day I caught a 16 pound northern.  It took me about 15 minutes to get it in the boat.  A lot of fun.  Looking to get a charter for my son and I if my guy can squeeze us in.

I’ve only been ice fishing once in my life.  Looking to get into that this winter.

yeh i want to go ice fishing real bad

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, westside2 said:

I retook up fishing this year after a 20+ year hiatus. Life gets in the way and you have to sacrafice something. Well, now that my children are all grown and I have plenty of freetime on my hands, I decided to start fishing again this year. The spring started out strong, caught a few bass, perch, catfish. But the last two months have been pretty brutal. Low water levels and the fish just not biting has made me more determined. LOL

I would love to hear some of your stories, maybe I can learn a thing or two. Lord knows I need all the help I can get. lol

I enjoy fishing as the time allows, learned from my dad but about 10 years ago my brothers and I realized he really did not teach us much in terms of understanding how to fish effectively.

The best thing you can do for yourself is find a good bait/tackle shop around the area you're going to fish, frequent it and talk to them about what's the hot catch and how to get in on it.  I'm learning a lot when I follow all their advice and give it a go.   I'll come in thinking to fish a lower river with spoons and they'll say best bet is leaches on a harbor breakwall.  They'll answer all my questions as they love talking anything fishing, especially knowing I'm spending my money there.  I typically fly fish but broke out the spinning gear on their advice and it's well worth the effort in terms of education and success.  

Tune in to your area.  I'm in Cleveland and the river fishing on the east side of town is a sublime amazing.  Steelhead, smallmouth to be sure but musky and Northerns in certain rivers which I had no idea about until I tuned in.  Always Lake Erie also, but tuning in to the people who know is a must, especially when conditions are difficult.

43 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

I enjoy fishing as the time allows, learned from my dad but about 10 years ago my brothers and I realized he really did not teach us much in terms of understanding how to fish effectively.

The best thing you can do for yourself is find a good bait/tackle shop around the area you're going to fish, frequent it and talk to them about what's the hot catch and how to get in on it.  I'm learning a lot when I follow all their advice and give it a go.   I'll come in thinking to fish a lower river with spoons and they'll say best bet is leaches on a harbor breakwall.  They'll answer all my questions as they love talking anything fishing, especially knowing I'm spending my money there.  I typically fly fish but broke out the spinning gear on their advice and it's well worth the effort in terms of education and success.  

Tune in to your area.  I'm in Cleveland and the river fishing on the east side of town is a sublime amazing.  Steelhead, smallmouth to be sure but musky and Northerns in certain rivers which I had no idea about until I tuned in.  Always Lake Erie also, but tuning in to the people who know is a must, especially when conditions are difficult.

Thank you for the advice. I want to get up to lake erie and do some walleye fishing. From what I heard Lake Erie is the best. I also want to fish Lake Champlain, I heard the water is really clean there.

There's nothing like catfish fishing at night. They put up a heckuva fight!

Used to fish quite a bit when my dad's parents had island/cottage on Lake Nippissing.  We would fish for walleye, pike, muskie.  Grandfather caught a 53in muskie back in 1959 (I have the mount).  I caught a 46in muskie in 1974 (wish I had that mounted).

Would like to get back into it (cast, fly, salt water), but too many other things to do / hobbies.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, flaz said:

As the gator flipped the fish (to swallow it head first) I yanked it out of its mouth SMDH. The fish was smashed but that damn gator wasn't going to eat my fish!

Way to keep your rod tip up! :lol:

For our younger son’s birthday one year (he was about 7 at the time) we took him deep sea fishing about 40 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico. We caught so many grouper we felt guilty at the first hole, so we moved to another spot where we seemed to catch even more. It was about 4 hours of catching grouper, all to the lovely sound of my wife (who tends to occasionally have a touch of motion sickness) puking into a bucket for the last 3.5 hours. It was an amazing display of endurance! 🤢     :sick:     🤮 

Ahhh, good times with the family! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.