Anybody here like to fish?

Westside

I retook up fishing this year after a 20+ year hiatus. Life gets in the way and you have to sacrafice something. Well, now that my children are all grown and I have plenty of freetime on my hands, I decided to start fishing again this year. The spring started out strong, caught a few bass, perch, catfish. But the last two months have been pretty brutal. Low water levels and the fish just not biting has made me more determined. LOL

I would love to hear some of your stories, maybe I can learn a thing or two. Lord knows I need all the help I can get. lol

The salmon are starting to come in the rivers.  They don't always bite when spawning.  Steelhead and browns will be in the rivers eating salmon eggs around November.  All those Lake Erie ribs produce.  The best day I've had in a long time catching smallmouth was off of Buffalo Harbor 10/20/19.   Shallow water.  Perch will start coming in closer too.  Best day I've had in a while was November 23rd in Irondequoit Bay.  We are very lucky to live in Western, NY.  Low water is a little problematic but if you fish where a dam is, they can usually control it a little so you have some water.   

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Irv said:

The salmon are starting to come in the rivers.  They don't always bite when spawning.  Steelhead and browns will be in the rivers eating salmon eggs around November.  All those Lake Erie ribs produce.  The best day I've had in a long time catching smallmouth was off of Buffalo Harbor 10/20/19.   Shallow water.  Perch will start coming in closer too.  Best day I've had in a while was November 23rd in Irondequoit Bay.  We are very lucky to live in Western, NY.  Low water is a little problematic but if you fish where a dam is, they can usually control it a little so you have some water.   

I usually fish Lake Ontario and the finger lakes this year. I heard watertown near oakfield the salmon were starting to run there. I'm thinking of going on a charter next spring or summer for walleye. All the creeks near me are very low, but if you have a pair of boots you can find some deeper pockets were bass are hiding out in. 

I was killing the Brook Trout all spring until the weather warmed up.  Once the water temp got above 60-65 the bite just stopped.  Did some bass/pike fishing on Champlain last weekend and we did well.  4 of us in the boat and we caught 20-25 decent sized small mouth.  The last cast of the day I caught a 16 pound northern.  It took me about 15 minutes to get it in the boat.  A lot of fun.  Looking to get a charter for my son and I if my guy can squeeze us in.

I’ve only been ice fishing once in my life.  Looking to get into that this winter.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I caught a couple tilapia fillets at Publix earlier. Blackened, flour, egg wash and panko. YUM! 

We took the kids fishing at a trout farm in NC years ago. Three lakes - small, medium and large. Who wants to catch small fish? The ponds were so packed you didn’t need bait! (This may be how walking on water was pulled off, just a guess.) Hook goes in, they bite. Our youngest would pull the fish out all flopping around, then run away from it, but still holding the pole so it chased after him. A family CLASSIC!

Signs everywhere say “You Caught It, You Bought It”. I think we caught enough trout to rival the GDP of Guatemala. They will smoke it for you for free. Smoked trout would make me gag if I smelled it today.

So, the answer is apparently NO, I do not really fish.  

• Haha (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

I caught a couple tilapia fillets at Publix earlier. Blackened, flour, egg wash and panko. YUM! 

We took the kids fishing at a trout farm in NC years ago. Three lakes - small, medium and large. Who wants to catch small fish? The ponds were so packed you didn’t need bait! (This may be how walking on water was pulled off, just a guess.) Hook goes in, they bite. Our youngest would pull the fish out all flopping around, then run away from it, but still holding the pole so it chased after him. A family CLASSIC!

Signs everywhere say “You Caught It, You Bought It”. I think we caught enough trout to rival the GDP of Guatemala. They will smoke it for you for free. Smoked trout would make me gag if I smelled it today.

So, the answer is apparently NO, I do not really fish.  

That sounds awesome!!!

Sounds like great memories Augie!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I was killing the Brook Trout all spring until the weather warmed up.  Once the water temp got above 60-65 the bite just stopped.  Did some bass/pike fishing on Champlain last weekend and we did well.  4 of us in the boat and we caught 20-25 decent sized small mouth.  The last cast of the day I caught a 16 pound northern.  It took me about 15 minutes to get it in the boat.  A lot of fun.  Looking to get a charter for my son and I if my guy can squeeze us in.

I’ve only been ice fishing once in my life.  Looking to get into that this winter.

You caught more fish in one day than I did all year. LOL

Never been ice fishing, I hope to try it this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Friends don't let friends eat tilapia😁🍺

I don't fish inland anymore since the ocean is where the fish see food and eat it.
Not many trips this year with Covid and all, but I have a few halibut and silver salmon on my tag and in the freezer. No albacore tuna trips this year. Just got some ocean crab last weekend.

Boat is put away now as I am now a fair weather fisherman anymore.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Friends don't let friends eat tilapia😁🍺

I don't fish inland anymore since the ocean is where the fish see food and eat it.
Not many trips this year with Covid and all, but I have a few halibut and silver salmon on my tag and in the freezer. No albacore tuna trips this year. Just got some ocean crab last weekend.

Boat is put away now as I am now a fair weather fisherman anymore.

I plan on fishing on the ocean when we get the all clear sign to actually travel. Until then, I've been sticking to creeks and lakes in the finger lakes. You can have a whole lot of fun fishing for bass in creeks in new york. Lake Ontario has been hit and miss so, mostly miss. I want to head up to the Adirondacks next spring and see if I can land some nice size trout and walleye.

Is it crab season yet? I can't remember when that starts.I have a lot of good memories of clam and crab banks on the coast in maine. 

There is a small creek along the back of my yard near the city.

Can watch trout, beaver, birds, deer, heron, turtles, mink and more in or near it.

Never thought about trying to catch or do anything to any of them......except deer and geese.

.....but, I don't have a gun.

I live in Florida and fish as often as I can in fresh and salt water (not often enough). I stopped reaching down to lip my largemouth bass three years ago. I was fishing the canal adjacent to my mom's house, in Estero, when I caught a nice little two pound bass.

Because I fish very light tackle when bass fishing ( 4 or 6 lb. line) it makes the fight much more entertaining. Anyhow, the fish was able to make a run under under the Cyprus stump on which I was standing. I was able to free the little sucker from the roots and as I lipped the fish and pulled it from the water, an 8 foot gator, with mouth agape, rocketed out of the water after my fish AND MY HAND. 

As I turned to run, my foot slipped on a root and down I went, with an 8 footer clamping down on my bass only inches from my foot. I scrambled to my feet and ran up the bank, then realized I had the rod in my hand and it was still attached to the fish. As the gator flipped the fish (to swallow it head first) I yanked it out of its mouth SMDH. The fish was smashed but that damn gator wasn't going to eat my fish!

I don't lip bass anymore 

Edited by flaz
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.