RIP Eddie Van Halen

DrDawkinstein

3 hours ago, Success said:

I still remember the exact time & place I was when I first heard "Eruption."  It was like, what the heck is this?  Mind-blowing at the time.

Ditto. I was a teenager at a party. They played the whole album, and I was blown away from start to finish.

Wow.  This is one of those celebrity death notices that hits really hard for me.

He had a scare with cancer several years ago and lost a piece of his tongue, etc., but I thought it was gone.

I didn't know it had been back.

His guitar playing is totally unique and a one-off.

He did *so much more* than hammer ons and pull offs.

I feel like we never got nearly as much music as we should have from him because of his alcoholism, which he never really beat.

Just really bad news all around for me.

35 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The Gene Simmons thing, was it a rub @ EVH @ the time OR: Was it that he was too good. ??

I never heard that story.

RIP

Too good.

Supposedly around 1982 when Ace left KISS.

There have been two versions I've heard. One went that Eddie was frustrated with VH and Gene told him to stick it out. Another goes that they took Eddie to lunch to ask him to join and he declined.

Unfortunately, some googling for interviews to link to the story show that Gene is the only one who tells it. Eddie doesnt remember ever having that conversation, but also admits he could have been effed up enough to not remember. So who knows. True or not, they were all very close friends and I like what it adds to LA Rock lore of that time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Man...this news absolutely sucks.....Van Halen represents the soundtrack of my High School years.....From the 1st album....Fair Warning....and on and on......even liked them with Sammy.......the VH logo with both my sons name ( like his, with Wolfgang ) is still my only tattoo...RIP King Edward !!

EVH has been a massively influential human. Even beyond his guitar playing, I would see how his DIY attitude and experimental approach to his equipment inspired people around me in areas beyond music. Even the paint job on his guitar seeped it's way into graphic/Pop art. 

An incredible person.

Edited by Prickly Pete