RIP Eddie Van Halen

DrDawkinstein

https://www.tmz.com/2020/10/06/eddie-van-halen-dead-dies-cancer-65/

Amazing self-taught guitarist who Gene Simmons stopped from joining KISS and told him to start his own band.

Laid down the classic riff and furious lick in Michael Jackson's Beat It.

Battled some bad substance abuse in the 2000s, but fought through and got cleaned up.

Van Halen >> Van Haggar

RIP Eddie

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Sad 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not my favorite player, but undeniably one of the most influential of modern times.  Every '80's guitarist did the fret-hammering thing (which he famously hid from the audience before the band got signed).

I still remember the exact time & place I was when I first heard "Eruption."  It was like, what the heck is this?  Mind-blowing at the time.

R.I.P.   

Eddie was one of the greatest ever. The variety of licks and riffs through the years were unreal. Women and Children First and Mean Street have some incredibly underrated tunes. Sad but he will not be forgotten any time soon.

I'm taking whiskey to the party tonight and I'm looking for somebody to squeezeeee. 

RIP Eddie Van Halen

10 minutes ago, Success said:

Not my favorite player, but undeniably one of the most influential of modern times.  Every '80's guitarist did the fret-hammering thing (which he famously hid from the audience before the band got signed).

I still remember the exact time & place I was when I first heard "Eruption."  It was like, what the heck is this?  Mind-blowing at the time.

R.I.P.  

I remember hearing a documentary on the radio about EVH (before I was really into them and heard Eruption), and the intro was the tapping section of Eruption.  I thought it sounded cool.  Then when I got Van Halen (I) and heard it after "Running with the Devil..."

2 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Van Miller >> Van Halen >> Van Haggar

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Van Cherone (I don't even know a single song from that album).

Edited by Doc

30 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Van Halen >> Van Haggar

I was a huge VH fan at the time of the breakup and subsequent release of 5150.  I was pissed.  I refused to listen to the album for about a year.

Long story, short - I caved.  I listened.  I loved it.  I loved OU812 and F.U.C.K. All great albums.

What I realized is that they were two completely different bands.  There wasn't any need to compare the two.  Both eras/lineups made fantastic music and their albums were completely different.  My VH II mood is far different than my 5150 mood.  But whichever one I'm in the mood for, when I listen, I'm in my glory.

The most important common denominator is the man we're remembering today.

• Awesome! (+1) 1