When was the moment that it sank in for you, that this time it’s different, we have a real QB

Batman1876

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

3) this year against Dolphins because he won the game when things around him we're not as good. 

If Josh Allen wasn't playing at an MVP level the Bills would be 2-2 at best, conceivably 1-3. Even if he just made the same step that he made from year 1 to year 2 it wouldn't have been enough. That's how you know he's a franchise QB. He's carrying the team to 4-0 despite a below average defense.

• Like (+1) 3

Week 1 this year.  All offseason there was positive buzz about his progress.  I know the Jets are joke.  But the last time we saw him on the field it looked like the game was still too fast in the playoffs.  To come out and shred the Jets for 300+ yards on over 70% completion, feasting on inferior competition is a hallmark of a franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/6/2020 at 12:03 PM, Magox said:

For me it was his rookie year at the Dolphins.  We lost that game but I don't remember ever feeling so optimistic about the Bills outlook as after that game.  The game was wild, Josh was running all over the field, making defenders look stupid, making great passes on the run and leading the team back to an almost victory.  My heart was racing a million miles per hour, I happened to be at that game with my brother and father.  It was truly a great game to watch and we almost pulled out a victory, with that great scramble play with Josh throwing it just a wee bit short and Clay dropping a very catchable pass.

My brother, father and I all pretty much all concluded that we had found our raw, exciting future franchise QB.  

I have to agree I remember walking out of the stadium hearing all the trash talking and I was responding at least we found our QB you don’t have anything (tanny) 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/6/2020 at 12:56 PM, Batman1876 said:

Josh Allen is different than all the others, for the first time it legitimately feels like we have a long term franchise QB. For me it sank in when Chad Kelly was released and I did not even think we should sign him.  We’ve spent 25 years hoping that with just might luck in to finding a gold brick in a junkyard that the next dude we bring in might just be the answer.  So every time some interesting guy became available I’d think maybe he could be that secret treasure, now I do t think that way, we already struck it rich. Go Bills

It was actually after they drafted him and they had minicamp Shady McCoy never a guy to be shy to give his opinion said with a smile you can tell he’s special ... after that I thought let’s see then the leap against the Vikings and I said that’s it this kid is for real 

On 10/6/2020 at 10:58 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Honestly, it was the Rams game a few weeks ago. I had my doubts lurking before-- but that game showed a total command, pinpoint accuracy, soft touch, brilliant pocket presence, critical red zone play, clutch 4th quarter comeback.  In the first half of that game, I turned to my wife, and was just shaking my head in disbelief over his level of play. 

Yes, the same for me.   His inconsistent accuracy in his first 2 seasons was a big concern.  With analysts claiming they don’t remember a QB with accuracy issues improving on that once they get to the NFL, there was doubt he could.

We’ve seen too many young QBs recently, like Mayfield and Trubisky, that start off well in their NFL career and then regress for various reasons.  You can probably throw guys like Wentz and Goff into that group as they had career years early and have yet to repeat them.

Then Allen starts this season with his first 300 yard game and follows it up with a 400+ yard game.  Those games, though, were against the Jets and Dolphins, who he has always played well against.  

To come out VS another 3-0 team whose defense has Arnold and Ramsey and get a 28-3 lead was a big Wow moment for me.  The defense let the Rams back into the game but the offense also stopped producing.  Then, after falling behind, Allen leads the Bills to a last minute come from behind victory.  That was the moment for me.

Sure, he had several late comebacks to his credit, but this was the defining one to me, against a solid playoff contender.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/6/2020 at 1:13 PM, SectionC3 said:

Throwing down Matt Judon in the Baltimore opener made me love the kid.  Climbing the pocket on the throw to Bob Foster showed me he could do “it.”  The Dallas game showed me he could win in big moments in hostile environments.  And the Rams comeback was the game where I knew he had put it all together.  The kid is everything we have waited for since Kelly retired.  

This.

That throw convinced me he could be a classic pocket QB if he had to.  It still ranks as one of the best deep throws I have ever seen at any level of football.  Completing a 75 yard TD pass as three D-linemen are engulfing him and the ball just shoots out like it was launched from a howitzer hitting Foster in stride.  Every time I watch that throw it's amazing.

I remember where I was when we drafted Josh. Still in college at my college house in Massachusetts, surrounded by Patriots fans. A few of we’re about to leave to visit our roommate in the hospital be we stuck around to watch the pick. I wanted Josh Rosen, I wasn’t upset we took Josh Allen to the point I threw a tantrum, but I thought it was a mistake based on everything the analysts were telling me. 

Then I really dug in and did some research on him... and my perception started to change. Then he walked on the field during that horrible game against Baltimore his rookie year... and you could tell the atmosphere changed on the Bills sideline. Guys looked like they hated football with Peterman out there, and then Josh comes out and the energy is SO much different. That’s when I knew, seriously, I said “this is the guy.” Zo Alexander even talked about it. Shady talked about it. Kyle Williams talked about it. 

That’s special. It doesn’t just happen, you don’t just earn that. You’re born with that. He’s not Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker or Jamarcus Russell... he has all of the physical tools required to be a stud AND the leadership traits as well.

We all identify with Buffalo, it’s home. It means something to us. People make fun of us for it, but we defend our home so passionately. He’s the same way. He loves where he is, he gets what it means to be a Bills fan. Being a Bills fan is kind of like being Josh Allen growing up. Nobody believes in you, you’re not quite good enough, you fail more often than not and he’s taken it upon himself to not only rewrite the narrative on Josh Allen, but the narrative on Western, NY and the Buffalo Bills. 

It’s been a privilege to watch him grow up and it’s going to be a privilege to watch him for the next 15 years. Try not to complain too much about him... because when he’s gone, you’re damn sure gonna miss him. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2