When was the moment that it sank in for you, that this time it’s different, we have a real QB

Batman1876

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I realized this when the rams scored to take the lead and I was excited.  I was excited to watch stallion put another check in his bedpost of comebacks.  I wasn’t worried.  I just knew that JA would lead us to victory like he has on so many occasions during his short career. 

I was bored the other day and read the archive post of his selection.  Lots of people making some outlandish statements.  I was a Rosen guy, but soon after the selection, I was on board with drafting the kid that may have been the most physically gifted QB I had ever seen.  He just seemed like such a naive baby boy.

I was a Josh Rosen guy too, however I did not dislike Josh Allen.

Allen was my second choice at QB for the Bills.

I was his fan from the draft. I watched highlights of all QB prospects in that class. And Allen was my favorite by far. He passed in college highlights for 50-60 yards, 40 on the run. It was obvious for me the kid's special. I got tired of noodle arm of Fitz, of medioctiry of Edwards, Tyrod, Manuel, Orton etc. I watned a star QB for Buffalo with cannon arm whose offence is show to watch. 

I overslept draft activities (it was deep night - early morning in Russia). When I woke up and opened nfl website and found out Buffalo had drafted Allen (prospect #1 on  my personal board. And Bills had pick 12 before trade to 7 if I'm coorrect) I was very happy. It was like Christmas gift. I couldn't understand all "wrong Josh" talks here. For me he was the Guy from day 1.

Some doubts began last season when he struggled with long pass completions. But this season he looks like fixed it and now Bills QB is  top 3 QB of NFL in all basic stats. Yes, only 4 weeks, but it was unbelievable several years ago! 

Edited by Artem Lipatov
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yep, pocket presence and arm strength. Watching Aaron stand in the pocket AND chuck the ball downfield with a simple flick of the wrist. Looked very familiar.

I know Jarvis Landry is not a quarterback, but if you watched his pass to OBJ this weekend from the 42, you get a sense of what a normal athlete has to do to throw a ball 42 yards. A full wind-up to let it go. Then you watch people like Rodgers and Allen snap their wrists for 60 yards and love what you're seeing.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, bdutton said:

36 games into his career, he already has a five minute highlight reel.  

This is one of a dozen or more plays that has people saying that he does things on a football field that no other quarterback does. 

2 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I know Jarvis Landry is not a quarterback, but if you watched his pass to OBJ this weekend from the 42, you get a sense of what a normal athlete has to do to throw a ball 42 yards. A full wind-up to let it go. Then you watch people like Rodgers and Allen snap their wrists for 60 yards and love what you're seeing.

Right.  On the replay, I was thinking he almost waited too long, because he couldn't throw it any farther.  For Allen, that's throwing darts. 

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

no you havnt. he's literally doing historicaly good things. not just in buffalo, but on a league wide scale. so stop it... and you definitely havnt seen it a FEW times.

there's always a handful of you.

Bledsoe and Fitzpatrick won AFC players of the month to start the season. Allen is young and talented which makes this different but we've seen QB's start hot and fade away. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I was sold after his rookie year, and posted as much. After the initial "wtf" at the beginning when it looked like all of his worst critics were correct, he flipped the script (for me), quickly. Hurdling Barr, some sweet throws to Foster, his scrambles... his strength and that God-given arm.

In the first MIA game, I remember a pass he threw to Foster that Foster simply did not catch. My wife asked, "shouldn't he have caught that?" and I started the usual "Allen is far too inaccurate" mutterings and suddenly stopped and got mad at myself.  I corrected the take and agreed, "you're right... it wasn't a perfect pass, but forgot being in the same area code, he delivered it to the correct address, in the front yard". The Clay drop to seal the loss at the end of the game solidified my faith, how Allen extended indefinitely, Big Ben style, to make something happen. It should have been an entry in his career highlight reel.

The takeaway from the first year was Allen had much further to go, but so did the team around him, specifically the receivers. Foster, Zay, Ray-Ray... come on man. And that O-line, oh mama. By default they were better in 2019 just by trying to get better. Everyone remembers the bad in the Houston game, especially OT, but he made some great plays and like the regular season/2018, was victimized by some drops, plain and simple.

The jump he's taken this year has exceeded my wildest expectations. Credit the Bills for continuing to add around him and getting him a monster #1 WR, can't say enough about Diggs. Kudos to the front office and coaching staff ensuring he has the proper mentors training and grooming him, I'm looking at (not just) you, Dabes. And wild applause for Allen proving and exceeding what we knew about him from (almost) the beginning: that he drives himself, and works relentlessly to improve.

He's going to try some hero ball, but truth be told, everyone does, especially the greats.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

I'm excited, but not yet 100% sold for some reason...the next 3-4 games will be key for me.

I think when I see he can do this consistently, then I'll be ready to let my guard down.

(If he outplays and beats Mahomes, that will do it immediately.)

So the 1st 4 games mean nothing to you😳

🤦‍♂️

His first start v. The Chargers.  Could not complete a pass or make a first down or do anything the first half but he never got rattled. He just stayed calm and kept processing and thinking. The chargers found themselves in a ballgame by the late third.  Later his rookie year he threw a pick six versus the dolphins at home. The dolphins scored but not before Josh tracked down the DB and made a massive tomahawk chop at the ball.  That showed me how much he hates to lose. As another poster said the loss on the road v the dolphins his rookie year. Still learning how to play the position but that did not stop him from putting the whole franchise on his back to try to win that game. 

11 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

So the 1st 4 games mean nothing to you😳

🤦‍♂️

Not sure how you came to that conclusion, that's quite a massive stretch just to stir up some sh*t.

The first four games got me excited, now I want to see him continue to do it against a little more difficult competition.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

Not sure how you came to that conclusion, that's quite a massive stretch just to stir up some sh*t.

The first four games got me excited, now I want to see him continue to do it against a little more difficult competition.

So, to be fair to you, you don't think he's a "real QB" yet, because that's what the OP is asking in this thread.

There's a difference between beating the best while still being a legit QB.  Plenty of Legit QB's out there in the universe who never won a Super Bowl for example.

I think you have misunderstood the question.  Or otherwise you're saying "He's not a real QB yet".  Which you might understand why everyone would scoff at that.

Edited by {::'KayCeeS::}

58 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bledsoe and Fitzpatrick won AFC players of the month to start the season. Allen is young and talented which makes this different but we've seen QB's start hot and fade away. 

Are you in elementary school, if so Great to see young kids here, You have good points which a lot of Bill fans will jump on.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Last night.

Sure, I liked seeing his few flashes in 2018 (eg Vikes), and started really buying in last year (Cowboys), but he still wasnt there.

Now I see him this year, with the development steps he's taken, and... wow.

It really clicked for me last night while watching the Green Bay/Atlanta game. I watched a number of other games this weekend, and none of the other QBs impressed me. And I realized it was because I had this example of Josh in my brain and he is currently so far ahead of them. Then watching Aaron Rodgers last night, it felt like I finally saw another QB who compared to Josh, and then it clicked "Aaron Rodgers is the only QB that is similar to Josh. THE KID IS FOR REAL!"

Dont get me wrong, there are other good QBs, and some that might be even better (Russ & Patrick, maybe), but neither of them look/play like Josh. Especially when throwing the ball.

Feels good man.

When Matt Ryan noodle-armed a critical throw into the end zone in the 4th qtr last night I thought "Josh would have made that throw with ease".

• Like (+1) 1