When was the moment that it sank in for you, that this time it’s different, we have a real QB

Batman1876

I've thought that we had our 'franchise' for some time now, probably from a fair way through last year, and especially after the Dallas game. There were too many throws, runs, and just plain will to win, to ignore.

Having said that, it was mostly my heart speaking then. Head was saying, there's still much more progression to make.

The jump in progression this year, now has my head believing my heart.

The real beauty of all of this, is that he can still improve!

• Like (+1) 1

For me, it's probably going to take the season to believe that I want him to be the QB long term, because my issue with him has always been about consistency. He's made heroic plays goign back to college (And I'm sure he had some in high school) He flashed big potential as early as the Vikes game, and took it a step further owning the Cowboys, but it wasn't until this season that he's put it all together.

It's easy to say this is who you always thought he'd be, but if he sustains his current level of performance, the growth he will have achieved over one season  and from college to pro will have been unprecedented save for perhaps Montana and Brees (though it took him even longer). For me the mark of a long term solution at QB is, If your QB gets the ball with a minute or so left  in their own end, do you expect them to win? I now do with Allen, and that's the first time that's been true since Kelly, as much as I loved Bledsoe or was optimistic about Edwards. As long as he can prove this isn't a fluke, I'm all in.

If this works out, I'll have never been happier to be wrong.

Edited by BullBuchanan

Honestly, it was his first preseason game as a rookie.  He made a throw that I still remember, maybe 30 yards downfield, up the right sideline, maybe inside the 5.  I don't remember, but I think he'd scrambled out to the left.  He turned and fired the ball beyond the corner back who was trailing the receiver by half a step but had inside position, and the ball arrived just before the safety closed from midfield.  There was a window between the two defenders, the window was closing, and as the ball went through the window, each defender was within 3-4 feet of the ball.   Receiver slid to a knee and caught it.  

One of the best thrown balls I've ever seen.   

I thought right then, "Oh, we've got something here."

14 minutes ago, junior12thman92 said:

It hasn't yet. All I know in my Bills-watching days (started in 2000 or so) is mediocre-at-best QB play, so I'm just waiting to be let down. It's a hard habit to break.

You’re already let down from the sound of it, so this is all upside for you. 

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Honestly, it was his first preseason game as a rookie.  He made a throw that I still remember, maybe 30 yards downfield, up the right sideline, maybe inside the 5.  I don't remember, but I think he'd scrambled out to the left.  He turned and fired the ball beyond the corner back who was trailing the receiver by half a step but had inside position, and the ball arrived just before the safety closed from midfield.  There was a window between the two defenders, the window was closing, and as the ball went through the window, each defender was within 3-4 feet of the ball.   Receiver slid to a knee and caught it.  

One of the best thrown balls I've ever seen.   

I thought right then, "Oh, we've got something here."

6 minutes ago, Buddo said:

I've thought that we had our 'franchise' for some time now, probably from a fair way through last year, and especially after the Dallas game. There were too many throws, runs, and just plain will to win, to ignore.

Having said that, it was mostly my heart speaking then. Head was saying, there's still much more progression to make.

The jump in progression this year, now has my head believing my heart.

The real beauty of all of this, is that he can still improve!

Oh, he definitely needs to get better.  He isn't there yet. 

But you're right about last season.  I thought it was pretty obvious, based on his progress over his rookie year, that Allen was a keeper.   As you say, there were just too many plays that were hard to ignore.   Different skill set, but I think the same thing was true about Mike Vick.  Came in as a rookie, and I thought "this guy shouldn't succeed in the NFL."  Then I watched him, and after a year of unbelievable plays, I had to conclude that the guy play.  Had a lot to learn, but he obviously brought skills to the game that made him a weapon. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

How'd you do that?   Yup, there it is, 18 seconds into the video and broken down.   I watched that play and said "he's a keeper."   I mean, who do you know who throws that pass?   Rodgers.   Not sure Brees or Brady has the arm strength.   Mahomes.   Some guys can see it, but very few can see it AND throw it.  

"We've got something here" is a tad different than "it sank in that we have our franchise QB."

For the former, I agree with @Shaw66, the rifled pass in a ridiculously small window down the right sideline near the goal line. 

For the latter, it's generally the "habit" he's fallen into this year. He hasn't regressed and I am convinced. 

3 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Josh was amazing in that game. Same for me brother. Watching them beat Dallas easily in their house with the whole world watching was it for me. 

Well, I remember at the time thinking the Cowboys seemed to be playing a pretty vanilla defense, and not particularly well, either.   Look at the defense this season, and it makes me think even more that the Cowboys just weren't very good.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I remember at the time thinking the Cowboys seemed to be playing a pretty vanilla defense, and not particularly well, either.   Look at the defense this season, and it makes me think even more that the Cowboys just weren't very good.  

They have lost a lot of that defense (think it is 7 or 8 new starters on that side of the ball) and hired a throwback coordinator from the most prehistoric defensive lineage in the league. They were a top 10 defense last year. Yes they were a bit vanilla, they were a bit bend but don't break but the numbers didn't lie they were a decent defense.