When was the moment that it sank in for you, that this time it’s different, we have a real QB

Batman1876

I have been watching Diggs for years and always over draft him in FFL  because I knew that he was an elite WR. Having Diggs out there and watching the coverage shift to him and watching guys running wide open is fun to watch. That one elite WR can mean so much to opening up an offense, also add in Allen developing at an incredible rate and you have what we are enjoying right now. Watching Allen in his rookie season you knew he was going to be a good QB but I knew after the Texans game that he would take that next step into elite. Looking back at his career he has developed so fast that it feels like he skipped a year of really good football and went right to elite level play. 

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

To be completely honest, for me it will be to see how he does against the hoodie.  If he has a respectable game against the great, evil one, then I will be fully on board with the believe that he's a top QB in this league- that the biggest, most important moments won't be too big for him.  I suspect Josh will prove me right :)

With that said, I think his floor, right now, is higher than anybody else we've had since Kelly, so at worst, I think we have a better Andy Dalton on our hands.

Edited by saundena

Rookie year finale against Miami where he accounted for 5 tds. I thought we had something there were moments last year where i was not so sure. But this year in the Rams game cemeted it. He jas surpassed what i hoped for this season however the defensive letdown has me scared. If the Defense can get back and the offense keeps up I have no doubt we win a Super Bowl sooner than later. 

Last night.

Sure, I liked seeing his few flashes in 2018 (eg Vikes), and started really buying in last year (Cowboys), but he still wasnt there.

Now I see him this year, with the development steps he's taken, and... wow.

It really clicked for me last night while watching the Green Bay/Atlanta game. I watched a number of other games this weekend, and none of the other QBs impressed me. And I realized it was because I had this example of Josh in my brain and he is currently so far ahead of them. Then watching Aaron Rodgers last night, it felt like I finally saw another QB who compared to Josh, and then it clicked "Aaron Rodgers is the only QB that is similar to Josh. THE KID IS FOR REAL!"

Dont get me wrong, there are other good QBs, and some that might be even better (Russ & Patrick, maybe), but neither of them look/play like Josh. Especially when throwing the ball.

Feels good man.

• Like (+1) 4

This will be a strange one for people but it was the Jet game to open 2019. He came out really sharp I think we threw it 12 or 13 plays in a row and Josh was on point and deadly accurate. Then we had mistakes, turnovers, the bizarre pick 6 out of Mosely's hands and yet late on he still found a way to rally the team to a win. It was a day that started so well where everything went wrong and it would have been easy to accept a hard luck story. But he didn't. I said after that game it was the best I had felt about the Bills Quarterback situation in a long time and the best I had felt about the holy trinity if HC - GM - QB ever in my Bills fandom. I was on the bus after that and while I did push the pause button after Cleveland he kicked on again after that. His numbers after that Cleveland game are really good.

• Like (+1) 4

Dallas it really hit me that he's not afraid of the big stage, he loves to compete, and play. He's not a game manager he will make some mistakes at 22 and 23 but he will make a ton of great plays as he matures. Patriot game at the end of the year kinda knew he arrived but we needed a money wide out, playoffs we tried Duke he had chances dropped some tough catches. Was hoping we could draft a dynamic wide out that would let Brown and Beasley slide back to what roles they are comfortable in. Well we didn't draft one, we traded for one thats already proven and battle tested. Moving forward- if we added a giant Kelce Graham Gronk type of tight end who is open even when covered is an easy target when in trouble a red zone weapon and can run after catch this offense would be scary. I think Josh has a desire to be great, to recognize and work on his weaknesses. Very encouraged if he can be fairly consistent versus this schedule, then we're on our way. 

• Like (+1) 1

It still hasn't.  Let's see a full season of franchise quarterback play.  No, I'm not looking for him to throw for 400 yards a game, or scoring 35 points a game.  I want to see a QB that has control of the offense for a season.  How will he react following a game where he throws three picks and we get our butts handed to us?  How will he respond when we lose two or three in a row?  I also want to see how he handles a season with great success.

Don't get me wrong.  I love what I see, and I so want to believe it is sustainable.  However, I suffer from BBFS, and I know we can't have nice things...

There has been no single eureka moment. Its been a steady process of assessing his game and development.

Early in his career he looked like a typical rookie.  The game slowed down for him after injury and he made some nice throws, particularly deep down the field and with his legs.  Potential was sky high but floor was marginal starter, not long for the NFL.

Year two he added a wrinkle and was effective as an intermediate passer.  He played more tentative after throwing some INTs against the Pats but gradually showed a willingness to take more chances.  He was inconsistent in setting his feet,  prone to errant passes and poor location, and still suffered from critical lapses in judgement. Potential was sky high but floor was game manager who needs a strong defense and special teams to win.

This year he's consistently setting his feet, hes throwing with touch, hes manipulating safeties with his eyes, hes throwing his receivers open, going through his reads, taking command of the offense and putting up huge numbers.  Floor looks like a Matt Ryan/Matt Stafford top third tier QB who needs some play makers and a solid scheme to win, and his ceiling is Hall of Famer, generational player.  

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The rope of a throw to Beasley on the sidelines against the Rams.  That is one of the most impressive throws I’ve ever seen.  

Then the 3rd and 13 to McKenzie this last game.  They Raiders sent a blitz, Allen immediately recognized McKenzie open and hit him in stride.  It was about a 4-5 yard pass but it was placed perfectly, ball was out quickly which allowed McKenzie to get all that YAC.

Thats showed me his game mentally has caught up to his physical attributes.

I think last year, he runs away from the blitz to play backyard ball.

Ive been very luke warm on Allen.  Still thought he left too many plays on the field.  Now I think he’s there and only to get better. 

I definitely think he’s our guy and truly feel he will bring us a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Batman1876 said:

Josh Allen is different than all the others, for the first time it legitimately feels like we have a long term franchise QB. For me it sank in when Chad Kelly was released and I did not even think we should sign him.  We’ve spent 25 years hoping that with just might luck in to finding a gold brick in a junkyard that the next dude we bring in might just be the answer.  So every time some interesting guy became available I’d think maybe he could be that secret treasure, now I do t think that way, we already struck it rich. Go Bills

Honestly, it was the Rams game a few weeks ago. I had my doubts lurking before-- but that game showed a total command, pinpoint accuracy, soft touch, brilliant pocket presence, critical red zone play, clutch 4th quarter comeback.  In the first half of that game, I turned to my wife, and was just shaking my head in disbelief over his level of play.