McDermott COY prospects.....

I haven't seen much discussion on the job McDermott has done this year.  Typically the Coach of the Year (COY) goes to a very successful team.  At the quarter mark McDermott should be in the race.  He has changed the identity (or at least let it happen) of the team from a conservative defensive oriented club into a pass first offensive team.

Secondly, he has now gone toe to toe and IMO, outcoached both McVay and Gruden.  McVay's failed fourth down call, and McDermotts Raider call of fourth and one have all worked.

A long way to go but we need to give McDermott his due.  The main competition of Reid, LaFleur and Harbough, all seem to have just done continuations of last years clubs while McDermott is not only firing on all cylinders but has transformed the identity of the team.

Right now, my vote goes to McDermott!  Here's hoping he can hold on to it.

26 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Whoever wins Sunday (Vrabel/McD) is the front runner IMO

I forgot about Vrabel.  I think he is currently down the list because of unimpressive competition and just squeaking through it.  Plus he has a boring style that is a continuation of last years.  And I'm not a believer that style can win against the good teams.

But I do think if he can beat the Bills his stock moves up to the top tier.  I just don't think (or hope) that happens.

Matt LaFleur will get some consideration.  The Packers may be the best team in the NFC and the offense is doing it with receivers nobody knows.  Both starters, Lazard and Adams were out Sunday.  What hurts LaFleur is the fact Green Bay won 13 games last season.  There's not a lot of room for improvement, and year to year improvement is one thing people look at.

There is more than a few at the top right now. McDermott, Vrabel, Reid, Carroll, Tomlin, LaFleur, Arians, at this point it's too early to tell. Whichever coach ends up with the best record usually wins. I think McDermott could end up somewhere between 1-4 and still win with this brutal schedule we have. If Belicheat can somehow pull a rabbit out of the hat and they take the AFC East you can bet they will give it to him(God knows I cringe and grit my teeth even typing that). It's early, just like with every other award we want to talk about at the moment. 

58 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yes

So many times a player or a coach will get a big contract then fall off.......McD is very steady

I don't think it is accurate to say he received a big contract before doing well. McDermott has been doing well ever since he got to Buffalo. Also, most coaches don't get a 2nd contract or an extension unless they are doing well.