Anyone Else Having Trouble Dealing with this Success?

Shaw66

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I have had similar "aha" moments. Whenever a Bills QB would throw a ball into tight coverage i have been programmed to assuming an incompletion if not an interception, now it is really amazing how many times the Bills come up with the ball.

Allen's throw to Brown on the goal line?   My reaction was "nice catch."  I wasn't surprised he caught it, and it didn't even occur to me at first what an incredibly good throw it was.  

That was a completely different experience for me, to see a great play, to love it and be excited by it, but to not find it unusual or special.  It was "okay, good.  Now get the touchdown." 

It's all strange to me.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, H2o said:

I was a bit apprehensive watching how the 2nd half unfolded against the Rams. When Josh stepped out on the field for that last drive in the 4th quarter you were thinking that something Billsy would happen, kind of like the Texans game. It almost did early in the drive with the penalties and a sack, but Captain Clutch said this will be our normal no more. He made play after play and against one of the better teams in the NFL imo. We also finally got the benefit of a call for once that game which set up that throw to Kroft for the game winning TD. Allen had a similar opportunity last year, but missed Knox in the corner of the endzone. Not this time. Not this year. This is a different team, with a different vibe, and almost a completely different QB outside of the individual himself and the nameplate on the jersey.  

Once they gave the rams the ball on that bs interception, I knew something Billsy was about to happen, but I had a different feeling involved.  I didn’t care when the rams scored and took the lead.  I knew that we’d retake the lead.  We have Josh Allen.  I was just hoping that we didn’t score too fast and give the rams another shot at it.  

Thanks stallion.  You’ve given me hope I haven’t had in 25 years

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

I didn't mean you and in you personally my friend. I meant the proverbial "you" as in many of the Bills fans in general. :thumbsup: 

Yeah, I understood that.  I was just commenting that I seem at least to have gotten past the expectation that the Bills will find a way to screw this up.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I have to say I find myself not knowing how to deal with success.  

I can't remember what it was like 30 years ago when the Bills last were a good team.  I don't remember how I felt or I behaved.  

I've spent 30 years wanting the Bills to be good again, and the early indications are that it is happening.  They could collapse, of course, but I believe McDermott knows what he's doing, and he's building a serious winner.  But as the national media begin to notice the Bills, I don't know if I want or like the attention.  

On one of the games last night, one of the announcers said something like "Don't leave Buffalo out of the conversation.  Buffalo is for real."   Something.  I heard it and realized it was the first time I'd heard a genuinely positive comment about the Bills, a full-fledged statement that the Bills are among the best, since the early 90s.   It sounded so unusual, and I realized that I didn't know how to react to it.   A few years ago, I was thrilled just to hear an announcer say the Bills could be trouble for some teams.  But this was different.  This was a statement to the effect that the Bills could beat anybody.  I didn't know how to take it.  

Then I pick up my local paper, which covers the Jets, Giants and Pats, and there's an AP article about how there's an offensive explosion going on in the NFL, and the accompanying photo is an action shot of Josh Allen.   In the article, Jon Gruden says this:  "You watch Buffalo's offense, they can do a lot.  The quarterback can complete passes left-handed.  The guy's a beast standing back there.  They got a pretty good attack."

I find myself hoping friends won't ask me about the Bills, because I don't know what to say.  One thing I do say is, "I told you this was happening."   But then I quickly add, "they aren't good enough yet."  It's like I don't know how to deal with the success.  It was much easier when no one had any expectations for the Bills; losses weren't disappointing then.   But now if they lose, people will want to know what happened, or people will say, "see, same old Bills."  It all feels so strange. 

This is going to take some getting used to.  

Brother Shaw,

Enjoy it!!!!

Wake up everyday this season with a smile.

Admire Allen’s amazing passes.

Marvel at Diggs’ high pointing and route running and selfless congratulations to all his teammates.

Shake your head in disbelief as Beasely converts another 3 rd and long or goes arse over tea kettle in the EZ for a TD.

Feel SO confident in having Smoke, Davis, Kroft, Knox and more at WR.

Watch an O line repeatedly give JA ALL DAY to find the open guy.

Know that our Defense finally showed signs of life against a very good Raiders offense when we needed them to.

ENJOY! ENJOY! ENJOY!

It’s been a serious chunk of lifetime since we’ve had a SB caliber team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I have to say I find myself not knowing how to deal with success.  

I can't remember what it was like 30 years ago when the Bills last were a good team.  I don't remember how I felt or I behaved.  

I've spent 30 years wanting the Bills to be good again, and the early indications are that it is happening.  They could collapse, of course, but I believe McDermott knows what he's doing, and he's building a serious winner.  But as the national media begin to notice the Bills, I don't know if I want or like the attention.  

On one of the games last night, one of the announcers said something like "Don't leave Buffalo out of the conversation.  Buffalo is for real."   Something.  I heard it and realized it was the first time I'd heard a genuinely positive comment about the Bills, a full-fledged statement that the Bills are among the best, since the early 90s.   It sounded so unusual, and I realized that I didn't know how to react to it.   A few years ago, I was thrilled just to hear an announcer say the Bills could be trouble for some teams.  But this was different.  This was a statement to the effect that the Bills could beat anybody.  I didn't know how to take it.  

Then I pick up my local paper, which covers the Jets, Giants and Pats, and there's an AP article about how there's an offensive explosion going on in the NFL, and the accompanying photo is an action shot of Josh Allen.   In the article, Jon Gruden says this:  "You watch Buffalo's offense, they can do a lot.  The quarterback can complete passes left-handed.  The guy's a beast standing back there.  They got a pretty good attack."

I find myself hoping friends won't ask me about the Bills, because I don't know what to say.  One thing I do say is, "I told you this was happening."   But then I quickly add, "they aren't good enough yet."  It's like I don't know how to deal with the success.  It was much easier when no one had any expectations for the Bills; losses weren't disappointing then.   But now if they lose, people will want to know what happened, or people will say, "see, same old Bills."  It all feels so strange. 

This is going to take some getting used to.  

Success--- No Not really.

Watching an top end young QB in the Bills uniform?  -----  Absolutely.  If what we are seeing with Josh so far is not a mirage, and I dont think it is, knowing we have a top end QB in a Bills uniform for the next Decade Plus is yeah something I am not ready for, seasons past I would already be looking at QBs.  

• Like (+1) 1

I am fully in positive mode, but that’s my default position. 

In Wegmans in Pittsford this past weekend prior to the game another guy was wearing Bills gear and I said ‘4-0’ and then did the ‘eh eh eh ay!’ He brought it right back at me. 

Another guy, when I said ‘4-0’ said, “We’ll see”. It all boils down to how we look at it individually. 

For me? As I said, I’m positive. Beyond that, however, the games are now just fun again. We always have a chance. Any time the ball is in Josh’s hands, something incredible happening is a very really possibility. 

As far as losing games, it will happen I suspect. But I believe in this team and McD’s ability to right the ship and am just going to smile through the entire season. 

In the Super Bowl years, penalties on our offense used to make me happy because it gave Kelly and Thurm the chance to rack up more yards. I was that confident and relaxed.

I am not currently there yet. In fact, these first four weeks have had me a nervous, shaking, sweaty wreck. Without my bourbon, I wouldn't survive. Seriously, I do believe in Josh, the team and especially McDermott. I think McDermott is special.

Awesome times! 

I haven't live in Buffalo in 20 years and work for a large global company with everyone working virtually.  I opened a meeting yesterday by showing a box of Josh's Jaqs and recommended that they are a nutritious part of a healthy breakfast!

We do have a Wegman's here and my wife bought me a case.  Will likely be used as Christmas presents....

Josh-Allen-cereal-box3.jpg.b4304fd6463fd7e01e6c01057f0e198f.jpg

Edited by cage