Reasons why I should vote for Biden.....

2 hours ago, Capco said:

This is a fantastic idea for a thread, westide2.  Thank you for putting yourself on the hot seat.  I'll try to take a stab at these questions of yours.

1. No.  Do you consider the KKK and neo-Nazis to be part of the Republicans?  Many of them certainly vote that way, just like many of the BLM/Antifa vote Democrat.  This question is honestly irrelevant.  
  2. Coal (now) and oil (eventually, but not anywhere close to soon) are dying forms of energy.  Solar energy, wind energy, tidal energy, and even nuclear energy are all effectively infinite for the current purposes of our species.  Recall that humans are only about 200,000 years old as a species.  Therefore, it would be ridiculous to apply the idea that these forms of energy are technically finite since "they will only last several billion years."  For our intents and purposes, they are effectively infinite.   The future rests in these forms of effectively infinite energy, and the sooner our economy retools to utilizing them the more likely we are to maintain our status as the preeminent economic power in the world.  I don't see the Republicans embracing such an approach.  We are still the most powerful economy in the world and have been for decades regardless of president.  Tax the rich -> invest in infinite energy -> reap the benefits.  That should be our goal looking forward.  
  3. With regards to China, I am overall unfamiliar with the Biden foreign policy approach outside of general assumptions regarding Democratic norms.  As a person with a chemical engineering background, I would tell you that I don't have the slightest faith in complex Chinese chemicals.  Can they make the basic feedstock stuff?  Yeah.  Can they make pharmaceuticals at the same level of precision that the West can?  For the most part, not yet (but that gap is closing faster than you think).  With regards to factories moving to China... that is simply an effect of globalization within the sphere of capitalism.  It is capitalism that brings factories to China since there is more money to be made that way.  
  4. What if Biden kept those tax cuts in place for the middle and lower classes, but revoked them for the upper class?  That is not far off from what the Obama administration did in 2012 with regards to the Bush tax cuts.  That would increase revenues for the federal government, which in turn would go mainly to the two biggest consumers of our budget:  the military, and entitlements.  The former helps everyone, but the latter especially helps the lower and middle classes.
  5. The Biden health care plan is to improve the current system by addressing these flaws you speak of.  I would add that these flaws of Obamacare were a combination of: outright Democratic contempt at the Republicans as a minority party in 2008; and the subsequent Republican response to strip the original formation of the bill at every turn thereafter.  

At the end of the day, I think whatever party you grew up with should have zero bearing on where you stand today.  People evolve.  

Gives substantive reasons why one would vote for Biden.

1 hour ago, Putin said:

There is no voting for Biden , there is only voting against Trump , 

Just like you I was a Democrat my whole life I voted for Obama ( his first term ) I realized it was a HUGE mistake!! 

Working in the oilfield to provide for my family I can’t even imagine voting for Biden , 

Ignores and repeats the talking point that there is only voting against Trump.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/6/2020 at 3:36 PM, KD in CA said:

As for COVID, 215,000 people would be dead regardless of who the POTUS was when it hit.  Blaming Trump for COVID deaths is as dishonest a take as blaming GWB for 9/11 or Obama for Deepwater Horizon.  The USA has a very wealthy, very self absorbed, and very mobile population.  And that's what spreads COVID.  To old people. Who are the ones who die from it.  The only DIRECT action an individual has taken that DIRECTLY caused additional COVID deaths is the great Andrew Cuomo thanks to his nursing home fiasco.  But I'm guessing you're not holding him to your Trump standard on COVID.

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Gives substantive reasons why one would vote for Biden.

Ignores and repeats the talking point that there is only voting against Trump.

Substantive reasons to vote for Biden?

Try reading that again.  Get someone to help you if you need it.

1 - nothing  at all to do with why someone would  vote for Biden.

2 - possibly the only reason in the post  you quoted to vote for Biden, although it does poor job of pointing out Biden’s position and contrasting it to Trump’s 

3 - a paragraph about China that draws no distinction between trump and Biden or even what Biden thinks about China.  In fact it’s stated that he knows nothing about Biden’s fourteen policy positions and that’s a paragraph of assumptions.

4 - a giant what if.  Nothing that Biden has started or suggested he would do.

5 - so I should vote for Biden to fix the healthcare plan he’s partially responsible for implementing?  Yeah.. great reason there.

1 possible reason to vote for Biden in that mess of rambling.  And even that reason was vague at best.

Seeing as how Biden barely has any stated  positions on anything, I can see why that may be the best support Democrats can come up with.

Liberals on this board want to cry about the discourse when crap like that is held up as substantive.  Maybe you get the level of discourse your posts earn?

18 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

As I said before, "he's not Trump" is pretty much all the reason many, MANY Americans need at this point.

He's an awful, AWFUL President.  Joe Biden was Vice President to probably the best President in a generation.  Biden's already emphasized much of what he'll be doing is restoring the portions of the Obama legacy that Trump has been seeking to tear down because of his Inferiority Complex.

Trump has done more damage to our country in one term than I admit even I thought after he was elected in 2016.  That's really the only reason I need.

And if your question is why I think Trump is an awful, AWFUL President, I'm still hunting down the detailed post I had in my interaction with @Buffalo_Gal

Okay, so it really is that he's just "not Trump".

What is the bolded?

Again, not trolling.

On 10/7/2020 at 9:27 AM, Backintheday544 said:

Per Moody's, economy looks better under Biden: https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2020/09/25/biden-democratic-sweep-would-be-best-outcome-for-the-economy-moodys-says/

A Democratic sweep that puts Joe Biden in the White House and the party back in the Senate majority would produce 7.4 million more jobs and a faster economic recovery than if President Trump retains power.

...and I know people who had THREE of the jobs Obama "created" and STILL couldn't make ends meet......something about "quality over quantity"...false braggart rights I suppose....

4 hours ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Okay, so it really is that he's just "not Trump".

What is the bolded?

Again, not trolling.

What is the bolded?

I sure do think you're trolling.

For starters, Paris Climate Accord, Iran Nuclear Deal, Affordable Care Act... those are for starters... it's all Trump has been trying to do during his Presidency. He has a massive inferiority complex and knows Obama was and remains one of the most popular Presidents in history.

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What is the bolded?

I sure do think you're trolling.

For starters, Paris Climate Accord, Iran Nuclear Deal, Affordable Care Act... those are for starters... it's all Trump has been trying to do during his Presidency. He has a massive inferiority complex and knows Obama was and remains one of the most popular Presidents in history.

See this is interesting.

Just because Obama did these things doesn’t make them good things to have done.

Every President does good things and bad things.  You chose three of the worst.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Joe Miner said:

Substantive reasons to vote for Biden?

Try reading that again.  Get someone to help you if you need it.

1 - nothing  at all to do with why someone would  vote for Biden.

2 - possibly the only reason in the post  you quoted to vote for Biden, although it does poor job of pointing out Biden’s position and contrasting it to Trump’s 

3 - a paragraph about China that draws no distinction between trump and Biden or even what Biden thinks about China.  In fact it’s stated that he knows nothing about Biden’s fourteen policy positions and that’s a paragraph of assumptions.

4 - a giant what if.  Nothing that Biden has started or suggested he would do.

5 - so I should vote for Biden to fix the healthcare plan he’s partially responsible for implementing?  Yeah.. great reason there.

1 possible reason to vote for Biden in that mess of rambling.  And even that reason was vague at best.

Seeing as how Biden barely has any stated  positions on anything, I can see why that may be the best support Democrats can come up with.

Liberals on this board want to cry about the discourse when crap like that is held up as substantive.  Maybe you get the level of discourse your posts earn?

Shoot and I thought we had your vote.

Fine.  Here's more that you'll disagree with since you are not satisfied...

-Increase the federal minimum wage.  Pretty popular position.

-Universal pre-k.  Also happens to be a pretty popular position.

-Lower medicare eligibility from 65 to 60.  Believe it or not this also happens to be a pretty popular position.

-Proposes increase the corporate tax rate from 21% to 28% (was 35% under Obama), increase the top individual tax rate back to 39.5% from 37%, and won't increase military spending to help pay for above.

-Redirect federal funding to public schools from for profit charter schools.  Plus more accountability for charter schools that receive federal money.  I'd personally like them to abolish all funding to charter schools but I'll take what I can get.

-No new fracking on federal land to appease the hippies.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That same NE Journal of Medicine back in May...everyone has been a MMQB on this

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372?query=TOC

"We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic."

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Paris Climate Accord: giving away money we have to borrow from China

Iran Nuclear Deal: giving away more money we have to borrow from China 

Affordable Care Act: giving away even more money we have to borrow from China

Biden Policies: getting money directly from China to give to his family

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Whatnot78 said:

That same NE Journal of Medicine back in May...everyone has been a MMQB on this

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372?query=TOC

"We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic."

A few weeks later the authors of this article published a comment saying their data was misconstrued and in fact  they felt their results supported mask use.

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

A few weeks later the authors of this article published a comment saying their data was misconstrued and in fact  they felt their results supported mask use.

So they didn't know how to interpret their own data?  I don't know if that's any better.  

It shouldn't be this hard to distinguish fact from fiction in regards to COVID...and I think it is the worst with social media.  Someone posts crap (from both sides) and it's taken for gospel and watch it grow into an albatross. 

1 minute ago, Whatnot78 said:

So they didn't know how to interpret their own data?  I don't know if that's any better.  

It shouldn't be this hard to distinguish fact from fiction in regards to COVID...and I think it is the worst with social media.  Someone posts crap (from both sides) and it's taken for gospel and watch it grow into an albatross. 

They were saying readers misconstrued it.  Masks should not be a political issue.  The bulk of data shows they help mitigate spread.  It is a public health concern.

10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They were saying readers misconstrued it.  Masks should not be a political issue.  The bulk of data shows they help mitigate spread.  It is a public health concern.

I grew a beard, don't have to shave as much, can wear a Bills' theme mask and folks can't see my growly old man you're an idiot scowl. What's not to like?

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I grew a beard, don't have to shave as much, can wear a Bills' theme mask and folks can't see my growly old man you're an idiot scowl. What's not to like?

i  was thinking about the beard myself but I know it would come in all white and I'd be depressed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Seems pretty clear what they wrote.  Sounds more like "we messed up" than the readers misconstruing what was written.

7 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Paris Climate Accord: giving away money we have to borrow from China

Iran Nuclear Deal: giving away more money we have to borrow from China 

Affordable Care Act: giving away even more money we have to borrow from China

Biden Policies: getting money directly from China to give to his family

Such hypocrisy.

Trump’s tax cuts. Giving away more money (centered on Trump’s super rich buddies) we have to borrow from China.

Trump’s been running the Federal deficit bigger and bigger each year, despite campaign promises to rein in the National debt. His entire term has run deficits that have been increasing each year and each of his first 3 years in office had deficits larger than each of Obama's last 3 years in office.

This year will obviously be ginormous.

We're on track to have a national debt equal to our economy.

As much crap as Republicans and conservatives talk about reining in our debt, they're the ones who tend to build it more than Democrats. And that includes Donald Trump even before the Pandemic.