McDermott: Cody Ford will remain at Guard

YoloinOhio

Thats his natural spot and a spot IMO he can excel at..you saw he simply does not have the FOOT SPEED to keep up with elite speed pass rushers..doesnt mean with a injury bug or in a pinch he cant fill in..it DOES mean he can be a VERY good G and he will never be a VG Tackle.

27 minutes ago, CBennett said:

Thats his natural spot and a spot IMO he can excel at..you saw he simply does not have the FOOT SPEED to keep up with elite speed pass rushers..doesnt mean with a injury bug or in a pinch he cant fill in..it DOES mean he can be a VERY good G and he will never be a VG Tackle.

Everybody says this but he had excellent quick feet at Oklahoma

Read any scouting report his feet are amazing for a big man

It takes time to develop. Its called thinking over playing and sloppy technique

But saying he has slow feet is not correct. He was a better tackle than guard at Oklahoma... It's hard to play tackle in the NFL

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

All those guys you listed were guard prospects tho. And had great film there

I don't think Ford is in that realm as a guard. His Oklahoma play at guard certainly doesn't say so. 

Hence why most scouts said Guard should be a fallback if he couldn't hang at tackle. Because he can bully defensive ends, and win as a traditional mauling right tackle

He doesn't have that ability against world class defensive tackles. He's been getting pushed back a bit in the pass game

His anchor needs to improve

That’s fair and I don’t know enough OLine technique to actually offer a deeper analysis, but in the Rams game he seemed  to have done as well as reasonably expected against Donald 

Just now, appoo said:

That’s fair and I don’t know enough OLine technique to actually offer a deeper analysis, but in the Rams game he seemed  to have done as well as reasonably expected against Donald 

Is Cody Ford a better guard than tackle today? Yes, but that's because Guard is vastly easier to play in the NFL

In the pass game and run game you get a lot of double teams and helping situations

Tackles are left one-on-one the majority of time. So there's a bigger steeper learning curve

If he could show the ability to pull like he did in college, and become a Mauler in the running game, that would be huge

But just getting a guy who is solid across the board at guard is pretty easy to find in the NFL

What this also means is that while I would have liked to see the Bills use their first rounder on an EDGE, OT might be a bigger need as I assume Daryl Williams will price himself out Buffalo’s pandemic salary cap. 

Bates is getting some PT I noticed and I’m wondering if that’s in prep for him competing for the RG spot next season so they won’t have to pay Brian winters, who’s also entering FA at 29, and should clear $3M he’s getting paid now as a starter on a good team.  

Just now, appoo said:

What this also means is that while I would have liked to see the Bills use their first rounder on an EDGE, OT might be a bigger need as I assume Daryl Williams will price himself out Buffalo’s pandemic salary cap. 

Bates is getting some PT I noticed and I’m wondering if that’s in prep for him competing for the RG spot next season so they won’t have to pay Brian winters, who’s also entering FA at 29, and should clear $3M he’s getting paid now as a starter on a good team.  

I think there's zero chance they re-sign Winters.  And Bates has gotten just 1 snap in 3 of the 4 games and 5 snaps in the Miami game.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think there's zero chance they re-sign Winters.  And Bates has gotten just 1 snap in 3 of the 4 games and 5 snaps in the Miami game.

Oops! I thought I saw him more against LV.

at least he got to spike the ball on a Josh Allen TD against the Jets. 

Edited by appoo

1 minute ago, appoo said:

Oops! I thought I saw him more against LV.

at least he got to spike the ball on a Josh Allen TD against the Jets. 

Yeah.  They've been bringing him in as an extra OL for goal-line plays.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/8/2020 at 4:15 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Everybody says this but he had excellent quick feet at Oklahoma

Read any scouting report his feet are amazing for a big man

It takes time to develop. Its called thinking over playing and sloppy technique

But saying he has slow feet is not correct. He was a better tackle than guard at Oklahoma... It's hard to play tackle in the NFL

He sucked Vs speed rushers at T HERE with the Bills....he simply couldnt get to them. Thats why he is at G. we can agree to disagree.

16 minutes ago, CBennett said:

He sucked Vs speed rushers at T HERE with the Bills....he simply couldnt get to them. Thats why he is at G. we can agree to disagree.

Most rookie tackles struggle not just ford. Dawkins struggled mightily with speed rushers as a rookie. You act like he's a 7 year vet

It's not a foot quickness thing. It's a technique thing which is coachable

He hasn't been that great at guard either. His power that he used versus defensive ends is completely negated versus stronger tackles

You can find good guard play anywhere. It takes years to develop offensive tackles

At least he was able to bully defensive ends

He's at guard because Darryl Williams is playing well. If he wasn't here ford would still be taking reps at tackle

It's not because he's been playing like an All-Pro at guard

Edited by Buffalo716

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2020 at 5:00 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Most rookie tackles struggle not just ford. Dawkins struggled mightily with speed rushers as a rookie. You act like he's a 7 year vet

It's not a foot quickness thing. It's a technique thing which is coachable

He hasn't been that great at guard either. His power that he used versus defensive ends is completely negated versus stronger tackles

You can find good guard play anywhere. It takes years to develop offensive tackles

At least he was able to bully defensive ends

He's at guard because Darryl Williams is playing well. If he wasn't here ford would still be taking reps at tackle

It's not because he's been playing like an All-Pro at guard

I know this isnt really a article about Ford specifically but it goes to the position he sucked at(RT) that they kept trying to put him in....since they got him out of there because of his slow feet and lack of being able to block speed rushers..and got this guy IN there this is what happens when Ford ISNT your RT and SOMEONE COMPETENT is...

PFF: RT - Daryl Williams, Buffalo Bills

… Buffalo's Daryl Williams is back to near his best play this season.

Williams has a PFF grade of at least 77.0 as both a pass blocker and a run blocker, and that elevates him over the other right tackles who are clustered around with similar overall grades.(

Bills Today | These two Bills received midseason All-Pro mentions

Nov 12, 2020)

1 hour ago, CBennett said:

I know this isnt really a article about Ford specifically but it goes to the position he sucked at(RT) that they kept trying to put him in....since they got him out of there because of his slow feet and lack of being able to block speed rushers..and got this guy IN there this is what happens when Ford ISNT your RT and SOMEONE COMPETENT is...

PFF: RT - Daryl Williams, Buffalo Bills

… Buffalo's Daryl Williams is back to near his best play this season.

Williams has a PFF grade of at least 77.0 as both a pass blocker and a run blocker, and that elevates him over the other right tackles who are clustered around with similar overall grades.(

Bills Today | These two Bills received midseason All-Pro mentions

Nov 12, 2020)

Daryl Williams is playing well

But he even took a few years to develop into  the player he is

And I think it's funny when people think Cody Ford has slow feet. He has amazingly quick feet, read any scouting report

And then watch his feet when he plays, he has very good feet 

What he does do like most young players, is think instead of play

Which slows you down, couple that with his not great technique, and he looks slower than he his

But he's an amazing athlete, who moves very well. He has a technique problem

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1