Another reason 2020 is so much fun - Watching other elite QB's

2018 & 2019 I saw things in Allen & continually said he needed more opportunity, to set him free & the need for better receivers.  Week after week I'd see other receivers & QB's make plays & catches and I would post here "Why do we seldom see even a somewhat difficult catch made or win a 50/50 battle, forget just the simple catch (i.e. drops)".  

Now we see them, but also what I see again & agaqin, but often drowned out here are bad passes other elite QB's make, but are non-chalantly written off or excused because of the QB.  Yesterday I saw Mahomes throw some bad balls & we see the same from Rodgers, Wilson, Brees, Brady (2 pick sixes already).....  But they have cache so seldom is it brought up.

Prior to 2020, every bad or so-so throw by Josh was deemed uncatchable or further evidence of his inaccuracy (again I note the NYJ pic-6 off Beasley week 1 2019 as a case in point).

Nice this year that a different narrative is being written.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

3 of the 4 QB's you mention have won the SB

2 of the 4 are season MVP's

2 of the 4 are SB MVP's

3 of the 4 are going to be first ballot HOF

I think 3 of the 4 have earned the right to few bad throws because of past performance.

Don't get so butt hurt about it as soon as Josh wins an MVP or SB or both he will join the 3 QB's you mentioned in not being questioned about his ability and will assure himself future Gold Jacket consideration.

But until then he is still a project QB to a lot of talking heads.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

3 of the 4 QB's you mention have won the SB

2 of the 4 are season MVP's

2 of the 4 are SB MVP's

3 of the 4 are going to be first ballot HOF

I think 3 of the 4 have earned the right to few bad throws because of past performance.

Don't get so butt hurt about it as soon as Josh wins an MVP or SB or both he will join the 3 QB's you mentioned in not being questioned about his ability and will assure himself future Gold Jacket consideration.

But until then he is still a project QB to a lot of talking heads.

I'm not bothered, more so an observation in how the narrative has changed this year.  Last year at TBD, I'd say maybe 30-40% would talk about Allen's "flaws" and yes I'd point out other Top-tier QB's & their bad passes and get the same response. 

Heck before this season most had him ranked 18-20 amongst NFL QB (nfl.com, sporting news, NBC & PFF #27)....

Fun being on the other side for once.   

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

2018 & 2019 I saw things in Allen & continually said he needed more opportunity, to set him free & the need for better receivers.  Week after week I'd see other receivers & QB's make plays & catches and I would post here "Why do we seldom see even a somewhat difficult catch made or win a 50/50 battle, forget just the simple catch (i.e. drops)".  

Now we see them, but also what I see again & agaqin, but often drowned out here are bad passes other elite QB's make, but are non-chalantly written off or excused because of the QB.  Yesterday I saw Mahomes throw some bad balls & we see the same from Rodgers, Wilson, Brees, Brady (2 pick sixes already).....  But they have cache so seldom is it brought up.

Prior to 2020, every bad or so-so throw by Josh was deemed uncatchable or further evidence of his inaccuracy (again I note the NYJ pic-6 off Beasley week 1 2019 as a case in point).

Nice this year that a different narrative is being written.

It’s about resume. You mentioned 5 other QBs who are all WALKING into the HOF the first day that they are eligible. Josh isn’t that. He is a young, improving and dynamic QB. We shouldn’t be complaining that Josh doesn’t get the same leash as Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Brady or Brees!! They’ve earned it.

Now, if Josh isn’t getting the same leash as Darnold or Baker or Goff or (gasp) Wentz you’d have a point. All of those guys have been skewered at different points of their careers (none more so than Wentz currently). 

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s about resume. You mentioned 5 other QBs who are all WALKING into the HOF the first day that they are eligible. Josh isn’t that. He is a young, improving and dynamic QB. We shouldn’t be complaining that Josh doesn’t get the same leash as Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Brady or Brees!! They’ve earned it.

Now, if Josh isn’t getting the same leash as Darnold or Baker or Goff or (gasp) Wentz you’d have a point. All of those guys have been skewered at different points of their careers (none more so than Wentz currently). 

Actually I think the others you mention have more rope too.

Yesterday Mahomes through a few terrible passes & I do find myself thinking TBD and imagining the responses here on the gameday thread about how bad Allen is.......🤣

Nice to be on the other side (for now).

A few things:  A) Those other QB’s have earned the right to have the reputation that they do. B) Josh Allen has been unfairly ridiculed by his diminishing chorus of detractors C) Josh is quickly shedding off the “inaccurate” label and is moving into consideration as one of the better QB’s in the league.

Josh has been graded and judged on unfair expectations like no other, thankfully Josh believes in himself so much that he hasn’t let it outwardly bother him and that he’s put in the work to continuously get better.    I think where Allen has improved the most aside from his deep pass touch is that the game is slowing down for him and he’s seeing the field much better.  At the trajectory he is on it is not unreasonable to believe he could end up being one of the top 3 QB’s in the league on a consistent basis.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Actually I think the others you mention have more rope too.

Yesterday Mahomes through a few terrible passes & I do find myself thinking TBD and imagining the responses here on the gameday thread about how bad Allen is.......🤣

Nice to be on the other side (for now).

Josh does not belong in the conversation with Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson, Brady and Brees. He will receive less rope because he hasn’t earned what they have. That may change in a couple of years but you have to build the resume before you get that respect. Those guys had to accomplish things (records, MVPs, Super Bowls, etc). They have all solidified themselves as HOFers. You lost me when you wanted those guys to be looked at through the same lens as Josh. 

If you think that Josh is currently facing more heat than Wentz you aren’t paying attention. Wentz has been getting CRUSHED by the media. All of those young guys face lots of criticism but no one is even close to Wentz at the moment. They are all young QBs with some flaws and a lot of talent. That’s the group that he belongs in at this point. He’s the best of that group at the moment IMO (depending on where you put Lamar). Josh and Lamar are kind of a tick ahead of those others because they are more dynamic. Josh is still ascending and Lamar is a little more established. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Josh does not belong in the conversation with Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson, Brady and Brees. He will receive less rope because he hasn’t earned what they have. That may change in a couple of years but you have to build the resume before you get that respect. Those guys had to accomplish things (records, MVPs, Super Bowls, etc). They have all solidified themselves as HOFers. You lost me when you wanted those guys to be looked at through the same lens as Josh. 

If you think that Josh is currently facing more heat than Wentz you aren’t paying attention. Wentz has been getting CRUSHED by the media. All of those young guys face lots of criticism but no one is even close to Wentz at the moment. They are all young QBs with some flaws and a lot of talent. That’s the group that he belongs in at this point. He’s the best of that group at the moment IMO (depending on where you put Lamar). Josh and Lamar are kind of a tick ahead of those others because they are more dynamic. Josh is still ascending and Lamar is a little more established. 

Very good take!  

• Thank you (+1) 1