In retrospect is the Diggs trade the new Bennett trade?

3 hours ago, wjag said:

I had this exact thought the other day.  I remember when we got Biscuit.  That was an insane get and solidified a stacked defense.  I equate this as the biggest acquisition since.  Mario and Terrell were in this category too, but they didn't work out.  I thought the Bills robbed Indy in the Biscuit three-way trade.  Of course Indy ultimately paid us back by stealing Howard Ballard away.

The price was much higher for Bennett, 2 firsts, a second and running back Greg Bell. But Bennett went in against Denver, his first two snaps were a pressure and a sack iirc, and by Bennett's 3rd snap the Broncos had to double-team him (was at the game). I couldn't remember one guy ever changing a game like that.

Edit: Found it, not sure how badly I'm misremembering, but here's Bennett's Bills debut after the long holdout and big trade.

1st snap: 16:05 pressure along w/Smith forces scramble

2nd snap: 27:30 pressure forces incompletion

3rd snap: 46:00 broncos run away from bennett

4th snap: 52:20 another pressure, holding penalty

5th snap: 53:30 bruce with pressure just before bennett, another incompletion

Man watching that wind just beat Elway down, makes Allen look that much more impressive for as many windy days in Orchard Park he's already dealt with.

Lol barefoot kicker.

Also, wasn't it Will Wolford that left for Indy as one of the first significant FA losses for Bills (him and Odomes)?

Edited by Ralonzo
Found the broadcast

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would personally like to see a new Bennett trade that's the new Bennett trade.

I think we need a defensive shot in the tuckus

Bennett was the missing link. This defense is missing several links. 

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

We know what Cornelius meant to those Bills teams and really was the final piece to the puzzle...but going through my brain I can’t remember a more meaningful player whose lived up to the hype that the Bills have traded for in 30 years...thank you Minnesota!  simply amazing 

No. Diggs may help facilitate something that eluded Bennett. 

8 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I might be inclined to trade away a low first round pick every year for an elite and cost-controlled player like Diggs.

Of course, saying that doesn't necessarily mean there's a ton of those guys out there to be had, but there's something to be said for knowing what you're getting, and getting it right away when you're ready to win.  Versus having to take the time and resources to hope that your rookie can develop and pan out

I've long thought that GMs overvalue draft picks. The bust rate is so high, that cap permitting, I would much rather have the sure thing than the prospect. Of course, in order to sustain success, you need some elite players on cheap deals too.

10 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Diggs makes all the other guys "fit" into their roles much better and honestly makes them much more open and improving their performance at the same time.  That's why he was the perfect guy for this team at the perfect time.

This is 100% correct. The TDs to Davis and Beasley were a direct result of Diggs drawing extra attention. I said before the season the trickle down effect of him being on the field is equally important to what he does as a WR.