In retrospect is the Diggs trade the new Bennett trade?

8 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I might be inclined to trade away a low first round pick every year for an elite and cost-controlled player like Diggs.

Of course, saying that doesn't necessarily mean there's a ton of those guys out there to be had, but there's something to be said for knowing what you're getting, and getting it right away when you're ready to win.  Versus having to take the time and resources to hope that your rookie can develop and pan out

Agree 110%.  Not always are you going to land this spectacular of a get but like you say - proven over hoping.  Now he won't be cost controlled for long but he will be worth every penny if he continues on this tsunami of receiving greatness.

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Great comparison but I also think Diggs brings leadership and swagger that the offense didn't have. The entire unit is playing at a level it didn't have last year and he's the significant new face. That's not just talent--he brought something much bigger. When I saw him in those training camp clips, giving it to a few guys but also cheering other guys on, I was hoping this is what might happen. That crap is contagious. 

Agreed.  SOmeone pointed it out in another thread, but when it looked like Allen was injured, there was Diggs, coaching up Barkley.  That dude just wants to win, and absolutely elevates the level of play for everyone around him

2 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

Mario Williams didn't work out? The guy was an All-Pro and a Pro-Bowler.

But, he was a free agency signing and not a trade.

Sure I get that.  That was why I used 'acquisition'.  And sure he was good, but he also moved on.  His presence didn't really change anything for the Bills win-loss wise.  Biscuit was huge.  Diggs is huge.   

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Too early to say, but he's been a fantastic acquisition to date, no doubt.

He literally has made Josh Allen a better QB, and I didn't think that could happen.

Diggs us a huge help to the improved performance of Allen.  But the incredible work ethic and all the time Allen put in during thr off season on self improvement is showing amazing results.

It's just like hockey - when you get a #1 Center, then your #2-4 guys have easier jobs and can look better facing lower quality lines

Diggs makes all the other guys "fit" into their roles much better and honestly makes them much more open and improving their performance at the same time.  That's why he was the perfect guy for this team at the perfect time.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, wjag said:

Sure I get that.  That was why I used 'acquisition'.  And sure he was good, but he also moved on.  His presence didn't really change anything for the Bills win-loss wise.  Biscuit was huge.  Diggs is huge.   

But Biscuit and Diggs were/are on good teams, with good QB's, good coaches and a good GM.

Mario didn't have those luxuries...put Mario on this team and I think he would be a top-3 edge rusher in the NFL.

26 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m surprised people are surprised how good Diggs is. I had WR envy every time I watched Minnesota in a prime time or late game. 

He does everything extremely well and has for some time. 

Thats what I was thinking. He has been a top 10 WR for the last 3 years. 

eh, not so much, imo. Bennett was a much sought after college Draft choice and selected 2nd overall by the Colts. Bills would have loved to sign him but had to ‘settle’ for ‘local boy done good’ Shane Conlan, who was an instant starter and great addition. This was Kelly’s 2nd season. Bills were playing markedly better but still losing games they could have won. But once we came back and beat Miami in OT, Polian knew he had to do something to make it harder for teams to score on us.

Then came a Halloween for the ages! Bennett & Colts we’re miles apart in contract talks and a 3 team, ‘trade your best players & 1st Round picks for an earth shaking, team changing trade’. Eric Dickerson? Not too shabby. Greg Bell? Not too shabby. Multiple 1st Rounders going everywhere? Sure! Why not? So Biscuit showed up and that 1st Sunday we beat the defending AFC Champion Broncos with him terrorizing Elway. He won Co-ROY with only a half season played! 

But I digress. No, not similar to Diggs. But both are turning out to be great moves by the team.

• Thank you (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think it was after the Miami game I said "I would be fine with sending the Vikes another 1st RIGHT NOW"

Yep, this is definitely up there with the Bennett trade as far as adding one star player to push the unit over the top from "ok" to "elite and unstoppable".

Sure for Thielen and Harrison Smith and Rudolph

43 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

We know what Cornelius meant to those Bills teams and really was the final piece to the puzzle...but going through my brain I can’t remember a more meaningful player whose lived up to the hype that the Bills have traded for in 30 years...thank you Minnesota!  simply amazing 

No...totally fifferent

buffalo has traded a 1st for a player before.

bennett trade was something different and a much higher price of Bell, a mid first, late 1st, and a late 2nd

The Bennett trade was such a bigger trade.

20 minutes ago, H2o said:

The moment Diggs said, "I wish I had a QB like that" and 2 years later here we are

Josh Allen - The Herdler

I thought of this when I saw that TD in the SF-Phil game last night.

I remember Biscuit's first play. Elway comes up to the line, looks up, and sees Biscuit ready to charge.  He immediately calls time out. The stadium went crazy,

• Like (+1) 2

He's been everything so far.  I love everthing about him. His energy is infectious, he's happy for his guys when they make plays and really helps the chemistry. I just hope it doesn't work the other way as well, meaning if he has a bad day will he drag the teams attitude down with him? Mood vampires suck! 

The trade is looking great, for both teams actually, since the Vikes drafted their replacement for Diggs too.  But things are different now than 30 years ago.  Players don't settle for mere millions of dollars when they can get tens of millions of dollars somewhere else.  We kept Bennett around for several years, until his age started affecting his play.  That's what used to happen all the time.  Now players have the right to leave more easily, and they do that when they have a chance to cash in.  It will be tough to keep the skill positions on this offense together, once Allen goes onto his second contract.  Diggs is the best of that crew and will probably get an offer we can't match, once his current contract is up.

51 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

No...totally fifferent

buffalo has traded a 1st for a player before.

bennett trade was something different and a much higher price of Bell, a mid first, late 1st, and a late 2nd

The Bennett trade was such a bigger trade.

Like I said find a more meaningful player whose lived up to the hype they traded for since Bennett they have acquired I can’t think of one 

It's only a few games, but I don't think I've seen a WR play at this high of a level since Randy Moss in his prime.

It's not just the ability to get open at will AND the draw-jopping catches.  It's also the way he's raised the level of WR play all around him.

We have a way to go before Diggs = Biscuit on the trade block.  It may never measure up just due to the fact that HOFer Eric Dickerson was involved in the trade.  But as far as immediate impact to the team?  Absolutely.  This is arguably the most immediate impact trade in the history of the Bills.

9 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

It's only a few games, but I don't think I've seen a WR play at this high of a level since Randy Moss in his prime.

It's not just the ability to get open at will AND the draw-jopping catches.  It's also the way he's raised the level of WR play all around him.

Let's not go crazy here.  Calvin Johnson had 1,964 yards one year.

23 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The trade is looking great, for both teams actually, since the Vikes drafted their replacement for Diggs too.  But things are different now than 30 years ago.  Players don't settle for mere millions of dollars when they can get tens of millions of dollars somewhere else.  We kept Bennett around for several years, until his age started affecting his play.  That's what used to happen all the time.  Now players have the right to leave more easily, and they do that when they have a chance to cash in.  It will be tough to keep the skill positions on this offense together, once Allen goes onto his second contract.  Diggs is the best of that crew and will probably get an offer we can't match, once his current contract is up.

Not true. He was due a new contract and had a personal desire to play in Atlanta. We couldn’t match their offer. He helped the Falcons go to the Super Bowl and played couple more seasons with Polian in Indy. His play wasn't diminishing when he left Buffalo. National coverage wasn’t the same in Atl & Indy. He was nearing HOF consideration when he left Buffalo. 

1 hour ago, 947 said:

The Hughes trade was pretty big too, especially considering it was getting "something for nothing".  Stealing a 1st round pick for Peerless Price was pretty awesome as well. That said, it looks like the Diggs trade will easily be our best since Biscuit.

Hughes trade was clearly an epic success, but not in the same category as this or Bennett.  This was a bold move for an impact player to bring an ascending team to the next level.  That's what both the Diggs and Bennett trades were.  Good topic by OP, Diggs trade has been huge.  The whole team has a different feel to it now.  Its elevated Diggs as well.  He was probably a top 10-15 WR before, now maybe top 3?!?