In retrospect is the Diggs trade the new Bennett trade?

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s better than advertised.  At this point, I’d have given up 2 first rd picks for him

I think it was after the Miami game I said "I would be fine with sending the Vikes another 1st RIGHT NOW"

6 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

We know what Cornelius meant to those Bills teams and really was the final piece to the puzzle...but going through my brain I can’t remember a more meaningful player whose lived up to the hype that the Bills have traded for in 30 years...thank you Minnesota!  simply amazing 

Yep, this is definitely up there with the Bennett trade as far as adding one star player to push the unit over the top from "ok" to "elite and unstoppable".

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think it's certainly possible, but a little too early to be certain. Possibly the biggest/most impactful trade of my lifetime as a Bills fan. The last one I can remember that was so impactful was the Bledsoe trade... But I think this one will prove to be WAY more impactful.

6 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

We know what Cornelius meant to those Bills teams and really was the final piece to the puzzle...but going through my brain I can’t remember a more meaningful player whose lived up to the hype that the Bills have traded for in 30 years...thank you Minnesota!  simply amazing 

I had this exact thought the other day.  I remember when we got Biscuit.  That was an insane get and solidified a stacked defense.  I equate this as the biggest acquisition since.  Mario and Terrell were in this category too, but they didn't work out.  I thought the Bills robbed Indy in the Biscuit three-way trade.  Of course Indy ultimately paid us back by stealing Howard Ballard away.

The Hughes trade was pretty big too, especially considering it was getting "something for nothing".  Stealing a 1st round pick for Peerless Price was pretty awesome as well. That said, it looks like the Diggs trade will easily be our best since Biscuit.

• Like (+1) 3

I might be inclined to trade away a low first round pick every year for an elite and cost-controlled player like Diggs.

Of course, saying that doesn't necessarily mean there's a ton of those guys out there to be had, but there's something to be said for knowing what you're getting, and getting it right away when you're ready to win.  Versus having to take the time and resources to hope that your rookie can develop and pan out

• Like (+1) 4

Concur with Era. Just from his track record I knew we were getting a proven #1 WR who didn't get the press he might have deserved because... Cousins? Minnesota? I don't know.

I wasn't worried about him being a disruption because from what I could find, talking to Minnesota fans and doing my own limited research, was that he's vocal and he works at a high level and expects the same from those around him. People conflate "speaks up" with terrible teammate/horrible person. You need leaders who walk the walk and talk the talk.

But what we've gotten? Like Allen's year so far, this makes mockery of my wildest, "dream-on", drooling fan-boy hopes. I knew Diggs was good but they are literally making each other better. You can tell Diggs thrives on "go up and save our asses on a coinflip ball". He's unlocked Allen and made Brown, Beasley, Davis, and the rest of the offense better by association. That's not to take anything away from those named; they're studs and having a true #1 lets everyone reach their potential.

The way Diggs works, the energy he obviously brings to a sideline, how he was trying to help Barkley when we were worried the unthinkable had happened... I loved the trade at the time but without seeing how the rest of the season unfolds, this feels like a franchise-trajectory altering transaction. What I've seen out of Allen convinces me he was headed "there", but this trade maximized a window and accelerated the process.

For those in the know, I know there were studs taken at WR this year. Are we sure any of them become THIS?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Too early to say, but he's been a fantastic acquisition to date, no doubt.

He literally has made Josh Allen a better QB, and I didn't think that could happen.

You didn’t think Josh Allen could become a better QB or you didn’t think Diggs could make him a qb?

5 minutes ago, technobot said:

Concur with Era. Just from his track record I knew we were getting a proven #1 WR who didn't get the press he might have deserved because... Cousins? Minnesota? I don't know.

I wasn't worried about him being a disruption because from what I could find, talking to Minnesota fans and doing my own limited research, was that he's vocal and he works at a high level and expects the same from those around him. People conflate "speaks up" with terrible teammate/horrible person. You need leaders who walk the walk and talk the talk.

But what we've gotten? Like Allen's year so far, this makes mockery of my wildest, "dream-on", drooling fan-boy hopes. I knew Diggs was good but they are literally making each other better. You can tell Diggs thrives on "go up and save our asses on a coinflip ball". He's unlocked Allen and made Brown, Beasley, Davis, and the rest of the offense better by association. That's not to take anything away from those named; they're studs and having a true #1 lets everyone reach their potential.

The way Diggs works, the energy he obviously brings to a sideline, how he was trying to help Barkley when we were worried the unthinkable had happened... I loved the trade at the time but without seeing how the rest of the season unfolds, this feels like a franchise-trajectory altering transaction. What I've seen out of Allen convinces me he was headed "there", but this trade maximized a window and accelerated the process.

For those in the know, I know there were studs taken at WR this year. Are we sure any of them become THIS?

Great post

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

With COVID shortening the offseason, acquiring an experienced playmaker made alot of sense.

I think if we really wanted Jeudy or Lamb, we could have gone up and got them. They've looked the part so far, but there was so much more certainty around Diggs.

Diggs wanted to be the undisputed #1 , and the Bills gave him the chance to do so. He's proven them right so far.

11 minutes ago, wjag said:

I had this exact thought the other day.  I remember when we got Biscuit.  That was an insane get and solidified a stacked defense.  I equate this as the biggest acquisition since.  Mario and Terrell were in this category too, but they didn't work out.  I thought the Bills robbed Indy in the Biscuit three-way trade.  Of course Indy ultimately paid us back by stealing Howard Ballard away.

Mario Williams didn't work out? The guy was an All-Pro and a Pro-Bowler.

But, he was a free agency signing and not a trade.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I think it's certainly possible, but a little too early to be certain. Possibly the biggest/most impactful trade of my lifetime as a Bills fan. The last one I can remember that was so impactful was the Bledsoe trade... But I think this one will prove to be WAY more impactful.

Way WAY WAAAAAAY more.

Josh Allen was going to take a big step regardless of whether or not the Bills had traded for Diggs or not.   But the addition of Diggs not only accelerated that step but made it into one huge leap, the trade was the best move that Beane has made as a GM aside from the Josh Allen draft choice, and he's made lots of them.

Great comparison but I also think Diggs brings leadership and swagger that the offense didn't have. The entire unit is playing at a level it didn't have last year and he's the significant new face. That's not just talent--he brought something much bigger. When I saw him in those training camp clips, giving it to a few guys but also cheering other guys on, I was hoping this is what might happen. That crap is contagious. 

10 minutes ago, technobot said:

Lamb, Jeudy and Jefferson could all become as good as Diggs...but it's going to take some time.

The Bills didn't have time to wait, they needed to find out about Allen as soon as possible and that's what they did.

That was an incredible trade.

Edited by JustWinPlease