Hypothetical: Chances we regret losing Daboll?

jletha

On 10/5/2020 at 11:56 AM, jletha said:

I think its a universal feeling that Daboll has done a fantastic job building this offense and this year is his masterpiece with Josh's development and the added pieces in Diggs & Davis. Its also pretty likely that he will get attention for Head coaching after this season assuming this offense keeps playing well. With that, is there a world where we watch Daboll leave and become known as one of the offensive guru coaches a la McVay and Shanahan and we struggle to replace him? If you speak to Falcons fans Id bet they regret letting that guy leave and keeping Quinn. Obviously its an impossible situation for an organization. You cant fire your HC after making the SB just to promote your OC but you also cant keep your OC if there are HC aspirations.

Im just so satisfied with Daboll at this point, I heard this scenario mentioned on WGR briefly and have been fear stricken since.

There are many here who love to put all/most of the offense’s past problems on his shoulders.  But the truth is that while he hasn’t been perfect, he’s been pretty badly hamstrung up until this season.  First it was a trash OL and a rookie QB who was by no means ready for the NFL (and should not have been put behind that line).  My criticism of Daboll that season would be his part in jettisoning McCarron and allowing Peterman to take the field.

Last season the offensive line and skill positions took a big step forward, as did Allen.  Unsurprisingly Daboll looked better too.  This season the OL is solid, the skill positions are above average (led by a stellar WR corps) and he has a QB who is playing like he has arrived (knock on wood).  So yeah, Daboll is now showing what he can do with talent in place.

He’s a very good OC and he’s going to get looks as a HC if the Bills continue to be successful on offense.  That is a disadvantage when your HC is a defensive guy.  In today’s NFL offensive minds are in demand and OCs who run good offenses will get snatched up.  We will just have to find another good one if Daboll moves on up somewhere else.  At least that means we are having success. 

Diabolical is a good OC for scheming but his offenses are complex and he is not type who can create mismatches with poorer players like Chan Gailey. 

If Diabolical does not have right players I do not think he will be effective.

I think Diabolical has a higher ceiling than Chan due to the coaches he has played under and he has some experience coaching defense.

• 3 weeks later...

Daboll is the best OC we have here in a long time but that really isnt saying much considering the sea of excrement we have had to put up with. There are times when I think he is brilliant but today was another mediocre performance against a pretty poor defense. Some plays the players could have executed better but some of the calls were mystifying. The 3rd and 1/2 yard at the end was really dumb. So if he walks we could do worse or we also have a chance at maybe improving in the position as well.