Hypothetical: Chances we regret losing Daboll?

jletha

Was just over at the Jets message board for sheets and giggles...and on top of being absolutely depressed about how well the Bills  are, and how Josh Allen proved to be a better QB than Darnold, Jets fans seem to desperately want Brian Daboll...

I mean, the fact that Daboll coached under Belichick and Saban makes him attractive enough.. then you factor in that he turned Josh Allen into a top 5 QB who I think we can all widely agree was an extremely raw prospect coming out.. yeah his resume at this point is very impressive.. he is over qualified to be a HC at this point.. went from being on the hot seat to being a very attractive head coaching candidate.. I hope he gets a good job, I hope it’s out of the division and I hope he’s successful and I hope Beane/McD have somebody great lined up to take over.. if we get a crappy replacement it could really hurt Josh Allen and this Bills offense..

19 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I mean, the fact that Daboll coached under Belichick and Saban makes him attractive enough.. then you factor in that he turned Josh Allen into a top 5 QB who I think we can all widely agree was an extremely raw prospect coming out.. yeah his resume at this point is very impressive.. he is over qualified to be a HC at this point.. went from being on the hot seat to being a very attractive head coaching candidate.. I hope he gets a good job, I hope it’s out of the division and I hope he’s successful and I hope Beane/McD have somebody great lined up to take over.. if we get a crappy replacement it could really hurt Josh Allen and this Bills offense..

he doesn’t terribly scare me as a head coach. 

the interesting layer to his potential departure will be how deeply he raids our cupboard. Would a guy like Dorsey follow him? Or what other position coaches? Mongo or McKenzie? 

not the end of the world, just wondering out loud how much shuffling may come and if the next candidate is actually internal or not. 

6 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

Spoken like a true stoned coloradan! (not making fun, genuinely love Denver and CS)

You know it.  All the negative waves are harshin' my buzz.  They're a bunch of Moriarty's!

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 10/5/2020 at 7:19 PM, Victory Formation said:

All I saw out of Josh Allen from the moment he hit the football field was the best damn thing I'd seen in a bills uniform in 20+ years I dunno what the heck some of ya'll been smokin'. Daboll HAS DONE great work with Allen, but make no mistake, allen had the right stuff all along. 

Where I think Daboll is more impressive isn't his quaterback whispering. It's his play calling and formations and the way he spreads the ball around. Up until just last year our offense had been so predictable. Now quite frankly I never know what is coming and that's the way it should be! 

Edited by BillsFan692

Good coordinators do not always make good head coaches as we have seen time and time again. The skillsets are vastly different. When you find one you don't even think about things like this. McDermott is one of the best young coaches in the NFL you would have to be absolutely on drugs to replace him with an unknown.

2 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Allen has carried Dabol. Not concerned. 

This is not even close to being true. 

There's a reason Ken Dorsey has been on this staff for the last two years.  Daboll gets a HC gig, Dorsey has learned his system and gets promoted to OC while retaining QB duties. Its super easy to see whats going on. McDermott knew this day would come and had a plan in place for it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/5/2020 at 2:00 PM, Cheektowaga Chad said:

If the season continues as is, he should become a very popular candidate and he should become very picky on where he goes

If it continues as is he may not have opportunities since coordinators do not have a lot of time during playoffs to interview. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/5/2020 at 10:56 AM, jletha said:

I think its a universal feeling that Daboll has done a fantastic job building this offense and this year is his masterpiece with Josh's development and the added pieces in Diggs & Davis. Its also pretty likely that he will get attention for Head coaching after this season assuming this offense keeps playing well. With that, is there a world where we watch Daboll leave and become known as one of the offensive guru coaches a la McVay and Shanahan and we struggle to replace him? If you speak to Falcons fans Id bet they regret letting that guy leave and keeping Quinn. Obviously its an impossible situation for an organization. You cant fire your HC after making the SB just to promote your OC but you also cant keep your OC if there are HC aspirations.

Im just so satisfied with Daboll at this point, I heard this scenario mentioned on WGR briefly and have been fear stricken since.

Don’t look into the internet then because you will really be fear stricken. There are going to be at least 5 HC’s fired at the end of the year. I’ve already prepared myself for him being gone.

On 10/6/2020 at 3:46 PM, buffaloboyinATL said:

To me, the most logical choice for Texans head coach is Eric Bienemy, but would he leave right now with the Super Bowl in their sights again this year?  And of course, that makes me think, would Daboll turn down the job for the same reason?

It is Eric Bieniemy. Playoff coordinators who become head coaches have issues with finding staff since most of good ones are taken when they finish playoffs and have time to interview.

It would be good for NFL to restrict coach transitions in playoffs until after Superbowl.  It would give fans something to talk about.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

He's gonna see how content Leslie Frasier is after trying the HC gig and settling into a nicely paying coordinator job, and realize the grass isnt always greener.

Pegulas could make it impossible for him to leave if they were feeling $$$$

I wouldn't count on Terry and Kim throwing money around.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

On 10/6/2020 at 12:56 AM, jletha said:

I think its a universal feeling that Daboll has done a fantastic job building this offense and this year is his masterpiece with Josh's development and the added pieces in Diggs & Davis. Its also pretty likely that he will get attention for Head coaching after this season assuming this offense keeps playing well. With that, is there a world where we watch Daboll leave and become known as one of the offensive guru coaches a la McVay and Shanahan and we struggle to replace him? If you speak to Falcons fans Id bet they regret letting that guy leave and keeping Quinn. Obviously its an impossible situation for an organization. You cant fire your HC after making the SB just to promote your OC but you also cant keep your OC if there are HC aspirations.

Im just so satisfied with Daboll at this point, I heard this scenario mentioned on WGR briefly and have been fear stricken since.

Yes, Daboll has been terrific since he got here.

We're likely to miss him. Hopefully, though, with Allen here to dangle in front of possible OC candidates, we'll have an opening the best guys will be fighting over.

5 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Allen has carried Dabol. Not concerned. 

Disagree. There's a reason he was interviewed as a head coaching candidate last year. Daboll's been very good. And that was when Allen couldn't carry anyone.

Allen needed development. But not just any development. He needed smart, well-structured, thoughtfully systematized, well-scaffolded development. Plenty of guys who had the stuff to be real QBs have been ruined by crappy development and handling. The Bills did this really well. 

Yes, Allen gets a ton of credit too. But we'll miss him. But the mature Josh should be able to handle a different OC as long as he's good.

On 10/5/2020 at 11:56 AM, jletha said:

Isn’t there enough to be worried about in an actual day without taking on worries about what may or may not happen sometime down the road? Also, have some faith that our roster is talented enough to adjust for a new OC, whenever that may happen.