Hypothetical: Chances we regret losing Daboll?

jletha

59 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Well hes not gonna go to the jets so there is that. Best spot is Houston. Time will tell. 

BD would severely tarnish his reputation of being a brilliant mind by signing with he jets, even for many millions guaranteed, the jets and the WFT are the black holes of disappointment for any HC, I suspect The Pegulas will give him a hefty bonus/raise and we will have two assistant head coaches. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

It’s still early in the year and a lot can happen but the signs of the Bills offensive production very positive.  If The Bills can win the AFC East, it’s all but certain that Daboll is gone.

I also think that Daboll will have a much better chance than Eric Bienemy or whatever upcoming offensive coordinator will emerge.

Over the span of 3 years (if all continues) Daboll will have developed a very raw traits-based QB into an up-and-coming NFL superstar. Bienemy who works alongside with a HOF playcaller, can’t take as much claim.  

QB is likely going to be the #1 priority of any team who fires their coach, and what Daboll did with Allen has to be a tremendous selling point 

11 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

BD would severely tarnish his reputation of being a brilliant mind by signing with he jets, even for many millions guaranteed, the jets and the WFT are the black holes of disappointment for any HC, I suspect The Pegulas will give him a hefty bonus/raise and we will have two assistant head coaches. 

Go Bills!!!

I think NYJ is definitely a possibility.  Daboll might be a shot to start from scratch with the top college QB prospect in football.  

Daboll’s not dumb like his buddy JMD who stayed in NE when they dangled the HC carrot in front of his face (it’s going to Belichick’s kid when the old man retires).  If he gets a HC shot, he’s taking it 

10 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

It’s still early in the year and a lot can happen but the signs of the Bills offensive production very positive.  If The Bills can win the AFC East, it’s all but certain that Daboll is gone.

I also think that Daboll will have a much better chance than Eric Bienemy or whatever upcoming offensive coordinator will emerge.

Over the span of 3 years (if all continues) Daboll will have developed a very raw traits-based QB into an up-and-coming NFL superstar. Bienemy who works alongside with a HOF playcaller, can’t take as much claim.  

QB is likely going to be the #1 priority of any team who fires their coach, and what Daboll did with Allen has to be a tremendous selling point 

I think NYJ is definitely a possibility.  Daboll might be a shot to start from scratch with the top college QB prospect in football.  

Daboll’s not dumb like his buddy JMD who stayed in NE when they dangled the HC carrot in front of his face (it’s going to Belichick’s kid when the old man retires).  If he gets a HC shot, he’s taking it 

Daboll will fail if he signs with the jets, like all HC who sign there do. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Daboll will fail if he signs with the jets, like all HC who sign there do. 

If the Bills and Josh stay on their projected trend, Daboll will be the hottest coaching candidate on the market.

I would be SHOCKED if given his choice, he picked the Jets, even with a #1 overall pick. Would be a majorly dumb move.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Bear and Dawkenstein nailed it. It's a good problem to have. If Josh is the guy, and not some system guy whose deficiencies have to be hidden by a genius OC, then it's going to work out. I desperately hope we go on a deep run and Daboll decides whatever is offered isn't quite what he's looking for. Some guys just want the chance, any chance, while other guys will wait for the right opportunity with the right owner, front office, and especially roster.

I've been really impressed with Daboll's play design and calls; what a difference a year makes. They're letting Josh drive (or cook) and it turns out our rebuilt former clunker of a car is now a luxury sports sedan, or luxury SUV, or luxury truck... whatever suits your fancy.

Only 4 games in, but this year has been about the synergy between a great coordinator, a talented offense loaded with playmakers, and a franchise QB who has taken an unprecedented leap in his third year. From Allen to Diggs, Brown/Beasley/Davis/Mackenzie, the entire rotating O-line, Daboll and the rest of the coaching staff, the Bills front office... they're making each other look better.

10 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Coaches still don't count towards the cap yeah? Make him an offer he can't refuse. The continuity for Josh and crew is worth big bucks IMO.

Yeah basically what NE has done with mcdaniels.. Just pay the guy like he's HC.

Dabs may not be so eager to run away from JA17 as well... I mean he has a career ahead of him there is no need to rush from this thing if it's working. He probably feels a sort of way about Josh, like he's his baby.. Just from a mentoring and tutorship perspective. He may want to just stick around with josh for a few more years to watch it all come to fruition. 

Of course he will still want to be paid but I'm sure the pegs can make it happen, LETS GO!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

That might be true...but I don’t think that stops him from taking the jobs 

Oh, he may very well take a HCing job, it just won’t be with the jets,

Oh, come on.  A year or two years ago, when the D was playing lights out, the concern was that Frazier was the coordinator we'd lose.  Suddenly that talk has gone away.  This year the offense is playing lights out.  Daboll is the same guy, creative and smart, but now he has the weapons to succeed.  A year or two years ago, most of the people here were trashing him and asking for him to be replaced.  Personally, I hope we keep both coordinators around for a few more years at least.  Frazier should be able to figure out how to fix the D -- he'll get a lot smarter when he gets Star back to clog the middle, and when the NFL goes back to enforcing holding penalties on the O line.

Daboll is a good guy and I hope he gets his chance to move up, in a few years.  Put him in as HC with a crummy team and he'll be lost in the churn, struggling to overcome the poor personnel at the new place, having a miserable time, getting fired after three years, and never getting another job as good as he has now.  There are too many examples of this to count.  It would be much better for him to replace a retiring, successful coach with a team with good offensive talent and a strong D coordinator already in place, even if that takes a couple of years to pan out.

Of course, I have my own perspective. I built my own career (now retired) by NEVER jumping at a promotion just because it was available.  I always asked myself, do I really want to do the duties of that other job?  Is the work interesting, rewarding, and important?  If not, screw the extra money.  The right job always came along.  I hope Daboll does it this way.

Losing daboll isn’t a big deal as long as the hire has a similar philosophy.  He’s done his job, and done it well. He coached up Allen and brought him to a nice level without a gimmick.  I’m not sure he’ll be up for the actual hires this season I think there might be a couple guys ahead of him in the pecking order. As a coach, leader of men I think he’s done a fantastic job with the talent given and maximizing their strengths which is what makes him a top head coach candidate. As a play caller though I think he leaves a lot to be desired. Could be a lot of job openings this year. Atlanta, Detroit, Jacksonville, Jets, denver, then some older coaches with possible retirement in Seattle, New England (unlikely but those two are pretty old) 

4 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I think we should be enjoying the moment and not mourning the loss of Daboll. My feeling is that he isn't going to jump at just any job, he's shown us over the last few years that he's very deliberate and pragmatic. 

Agreed. He's the OC of his hometown team, with a great young QB and a solid shot at a championship. He's not in a hurry to leave. Undoubtedly he'll interview with any team that asks, if for no other reason than getting HC interview experience, but he'll wait for the right opportunity before accepting an offer.

People often point out that there's only 32 HC positions in the NFL, so you have to take a shot when it opens, but every year opportunities open up. When that happens and Daboll eventually leaves, we'll already be in good shape to carry on without him.

• Like (+1) 1

No.  Daboll just hit the lottery.  Daboll is a pretty good coach.  Allen is throwing lasers in the redzone and is going to get Daboll paid.  I expect Dorsey gets the not.  Bring up another smart guy to Qb coach and keep it moving.

5 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

Bill obrien just got canned.  I’d take him as OC. 

Same offense.  Offensive coaches will line up around Bills stadium like a home playoff game to be the Bills Oc.