Hypothetical: Chances we regret losing Daboll?

jletha

I think its a universal feeling that Daboll has done a fantastic job building this offense and this year is his masterpiece with Josh's development and the added pieces in Diggs & Davis. Its also pretty likely that he will get attention for Head coaching after this season assuming this offense keeps playing well. With that, is there a world where we watch Daboll leave and become known as one of the offensive guru coaches a la McVay and Shanahan and we struggle to replace him? If you speak to Falcons fans Id bet they regret letting that guy leave and keeping Quinn. Obviously its an impossible situation for an organization. You cant fire your HC after making the SB just to promote your OC but you also cant keep your OC if there are HC aspirations.

Im just so satisfied with Daboll at this point, I heard this scenario mentioned on WGR briefly and have been fear stricken since.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

No.  Look at all the HOF franchise quarterbacks.  They all had multiple offensive coordinators.  This team was on an upward trend carried by the leadership and the defense of McDermott.  Daboll is doing a great job and I'd hate to lose him, but I don't think it's the death of the Josh Allen Buffalo Bills.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 8

A good point Sal made this morning, assuming Daboll does leave after this year: the top Coordinator candidates to replace him will all WANT to come to Buffalo.

So if we don't simply promote from within with Dorsey, we'll be in a good position to go get whoever we want for OC. That is a big change from as recent as 2017, when McD had to hire his 3rd choice for OC and waste a year with Dennison.

I'm hoping Daboll sees staying with the Bills another year and making a real Super Bowl run, and the clout that would give him, as an opportunity to land a HC job with a good franchise and not just run off to the Jets since they are the first to offer.

I could see him land in Atlanta as well. I wouldnt feel as bad if he left next year for the Falcons. At least he's out of the Division and Conference.

• Like (+1) 11

We have a choice of two problems:

1.  Our OC leads an explosive offense, earns a promotion to head coach somewhere else and leaves us in need of a replacement.

2.  Our OC leads an ineffective offense and stays too long before getting fired.

Sign me up for problem #1.

Edited by Forward Progress
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

A good point Sal made this morning, assuming Daboll does leave after this year: the top Coordinator candidates to replace him will all WANT to come to Buffalo.

So if we don't simply promote from within with Dorsey, we'll be in a good position to go get whoever we want for OC. That is a big change from as recent as 2017, when McD had to hire his 3rd choice for OC and waste a year with Dennison.

I'm hoping Daboll sees staying with the Bills another year and making a real Super Bowl run, and the clout that would give him, as an opportunity to land a HC job with a good franchise and not just run off to the Jets since they are the first to offer.

I could see him land in Atlanta as well. I wouldnt feel as bad if he left next year for the Falcons. At least he's out of the Division and Conference.

I’m just going to say it....Freddie Kitchens.

• Haha (+1) 1

Dawkins, I listened to the point after as well for part when not in meetings, and he’s right.  It says Buffalo is a desirable place to go, and if we really have good Coordinators, they eventually will be poached.  I’ve lost a couple of my best reps when managing them medical device sales, but I loved it as they were filling my role in other cities.  Part of being a good leader, ie. McBeane is developing the talent under you and enjoying their success.  If you have confidence in what you’ve built, and you’re ability to hire well, it’s expected you will lose you’re best players.  I know my small example is just sales, but it’s perpetual competition and coaching to you’re people.  I am 100% confident in the leadership of this organization and now ownership as they had their one mulligan with Wrex, to bring in other top talent.  

Since the defense has regressed a little this small part of the season, there may be questions, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Frazier gets interviews.  He should get them based on merit, but the Rooney rule of which I agree 100% does help open some doors.  Not getting a job, but getting a chance to compete.  I hope they both do someday, and want the best for our guys.  I also know guys who want to be Coordinators are going to be chomping at the bit trying to get an interview here on either side.  On one side, they have a ton of control on the offense with McD’s blessing, and on the other side the6 get mentored by a Jimmy Johnson disciple who has surrounded himself under Ron Rivera, Andy Reid, and on and on.  That is not to mention one of the most talented squads in the league.  Not perfect, but pretty darn excellent.  

Now it’s onto TN.   Don’t underestimate these guys as they have a stingy defense in the past, and Henry is a world beater.  I hope Edmunds, amd Milano are healthy as well as the whole defensive line squad.  One thing to bring some confidence is if this is a preview for the season with Norman, our secondary just improved massively.  Now the dam* trigger and get Lorax BACK!  Edmunds could use his leadership and haven’t been impressed with Klein.  I’m not saying he sucks, but Lorax brings more.  He wouldn’t cost a lot, and he pretty much knows barring injuries we have  after a 4-0 record an 84% chance of making the playoffs, 32% chance of the second round, 18% chance of making the SB, amd 10% chance of winning the SB.  I think that says it all. Get Lorax on this team TODAY, and get him ready to play on a pitch count the KC game if possible.  You know the guy is in football shape.  You know he wants a shot at the ring, and you know after 16 years, even if role player contracts has made more than enough $, it’s about glory.  Oh yeah, and his legs are fresh.  Heck if McD thinks he’s not ready, be a player coach for the Chiefs, and give him a tune up against Our favorite dumpster fire preparing for the Cheats.

Make it rain Beane!  Whoo!

25 minutes ago, MJS said:

All these speculative threads are kind of annoying.

It's really not all that hypothetical.  He had a shot at a head coaching position last season, if he was chosen he wouldn't be here right now. 

IMO he's gone next year and will probably land with the Jets. 

50 minutes ago, jletha said:

I think its a universal feeling that Daboll has done a fantastic job building this offense and this year is his masterpiece with Josh's development and the added pieces in Diggs & Davis. Its also pretty likely that he will get attention for Head coaching after this season assuming this offense keeps playing well. With that, is there a world where we watch Daboll leave and become known as one of the offensive guru coaches a la McVay and Shanahan and we struggle to replace him? If you speak to Falcons fans Id bet they regret letting that guy leave and keeping Quinn. Obviously its an impossible situation for an organization. You cant fire your HC after making the SB just to promote your OC but you also cant keep your OC if there are HC aspirations.

Im just so satisfied with Daboll at this point, I heard this scenario mentioned on WGR briefly and have been fear stricken since.

It’s been discussed here in several different threads over the last few weeks too

I think there is an outside chance he would stay should Beane make him the highest paid OC. I am not saying he is the best OC (Although right now he is firing on all cylinders) but Beane and McD have been creating an atmosphere that is based around continuity. They clearly believe in their guys and in return guys often might take a little less or maybe stay with a role they know they are good at. 

If he moves on I see Dorsey taking over. Again, the culture that has been built. It would show a lot promoting a guy like Dorsey. Players and coaching staff members would really appreciate that. 

But lets worry about this come Feb when we are enjoying a super bowl victory. Won't be the worst problem to have. LOL! 

I think they would be best keeping Dabol but it is not necesarily the end of the world if your QB is great.  Another OC can get plugged in, in some ways it would have hurt more after last season, before Allen had made a major leap.  Ideally maybe Dabol does not want everything that comes with an HC position and we can pay him more to stay OC.

Dabol will get a lot of credit for "developing" Allen.  A lot of people seem shocked how far Allen has come.  So I would think there is a good chance someone will give him a shot.

58 minutes ago, jletha said:

I said this in the other Daboll thread (yes there are a few threads on the topic😀)