Josh's Amazing Array of Throws From Yesterday

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

I commented to my wife “it’s nice to see 3rd and 13 and not feel like we should just send the punter out now”, of course they pick up 17 yards irrc and keep the drive alive.  It’s amazing to know what other teams have felt like all these years lol.

If you're thinking of the play I'm thinking of that was Daboll's baby. Set up a screen look on the left side, but throw it to McKenzie on a short crosser from the right and he's got speed heading right into the blockers who plow a path to the first down. Can't remember seeing something like that run before, ever, by anyone. The McKenzie jet 4th-and-1 was a helluva call too. It's nice to have your gadget guys be capable of more than eye candy.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, PirateHookerMD said:

I still am not sure why the play he got hurt on was not a first down?

Diggs clearly does not step out and lunges beyond the marker?

it looks to me like the ball goes OOB short of the 1st down marker.  Kind of hard to tell from that angle, though 

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

They need to fix what ails the defense.

What's happened is McVay figured out the pre-snap gap assignments for the front-6 in the McD nickel, and what motion will do to the pre-snap gap reads (esp the backers), and he found that it opened up the Bills' defense off-tackle on the side where the motion originates. The result is there's absolutely nobody there for a counter run. The Rams killed the Bills with that, and all of Jacobs damage came on it in the first 2 1/2 quarters.

Most of the time the Rams and Raiders ran the motion from their right to left on the formation. It looked to me (I haven't rewatched to verify) like the adjustment the Bills made late was that the end on that side (Murphy or Epenesa) would play contain rather than rush, but the 3-technique (Oliver or Jefferson) would immediately penetrate instead of engage. As a result the play would either get a chunk as it has been doing, but now there's a chance it gets blown up for a loss by the penetrating 3T who's getting to the back before he can get to the hole. The rest of defense on that side seemed to have a key to rally up as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I agree that it is the array that is impressive.  Early on, Raiders were playing press man to man and Allen beat them over the top a few times.  Then, I think it was just before the Diggs bomb, the commentators mentioned that he hadn't had a long throw since early...that the Raiders were giving him everything short and took away the deep passes.  I think Josh picked them apart and they adjusted again.  Last year, he could pick apart a zone but struggled against man to man.  Now he can recognize the defense and adjust to beat what they are doing.  Very impressive.

• Like (+1) 4

My favorite throw of the year was the PA pass to Brown.  Stallion sold the fake (and hid the ball) so well and just unleashed fury from his arm to put the ball in the perfect spot of a double covered WR.  
Upsetting that they didn’t give him that TD.  Both JA and Brown deserved it.  Helluva play on both ends

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Watch it again.  He doesn't put his body into the throw.  He could have thrown it 70 yards if he wanted.  Amazing arm. 

I am amazed by this along with alot of other throws off his back foot/sidearm where he just flicks his wrist effortlessly. Throwing from different arm angles is a testament to his off-season work.

Edited by BuffaninSarasota
typo
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

I amazed by this along with alot of other throws off his back foot/sidearm where he just flicks his wrist effortlessly. Throwing from different arm angles is a testament to his off-season work.

Well, I don't know what he did in the off-season.  I just see it as his natural progression.   He's learning that way all QBs learn, gradually, over time.   He's seeing the field better, he's concentrating and more relaxed.   But he always had that arm.  He made those throws two years ago, just not so often or so consistently.   

He's an extraordinary talent. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

I amazed by this along with alot of other throws off his back foot/sidearm where he just flicks his wrist effortlessly. Throwing from different arm angles is a testament to his off-season work.

The little 8-yarder to Beasley is a great example of that. Just a side-armed flick of the wrist that went around the pass rusher and hit Cole dead on.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Fin Fans Discussing Allen after yesterdays National Game (against someone other than themselves)

https://finheaven.com/threads/josh-allen-was-the-pick-to-make.362097/

They seem bitter, keep repeating make him do what he doesnt do well. At this point what is that? 

Edited by Bray Wyatt
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

I still am not sure why the play he got hurt on was not a first down?

Diggs clearly does not step out and lunges beyond the marker?

Because it is where the ball leaves the field of play.  They have marked it like that for years.

It used to be where you would land out of bounds, but now it is where the ball leaves the field as the player goes out.  It is most noticeable at the goal line where the goal line used to extend “around the world” and guys could leap and land 5 yard out of bounds past the goal line and get a TD and now they have to have the ball inside the pylon.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

They seem bitter, keep repeating make him do what he doesnt do well. At this point what is that? 

Yeah I notice the detractors stick with the vague, "warts in passing", "do what he cant do"  But no one EVER really signs up to say what those are

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah I notice the detractors stick with the vague, "warts in passing", "do what he cant do"  But no one EVER really signs up to say what those are

Also apparently since we lost the 1 playoff game he's been to in the two years he'd been in the league he is now terrible in the playoffs.

4 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:
Remember all of those years when you would watch NFL highlights and see QBs making great throws and say, "Why can't we get one of those types of passers?" Well, guess what Bills' fans? We've got one and as the title says, "Josh Allen is not a fluke."

Take a moment a look at the great array of tosses he had yesterday. The TD toss to Gabriel Davis is a great case in point. He looks left the whole way to draw the safety and they comes back right and lets it go immediately with the perfect amount of loft and velocity. A thing of beauty.

To quote a Seinfeld nugget, "They're real and they're spectacular."

The best part to me is you could see some of this development happening, but they lacked the players to help him.  That first year you could see the throws, but we kept asking was Josh inaccurate or did his receivers never make plays.  You would routinely see other QBs get bailed out by an amazing catch to keep a drive alive or like that 1st game in Miami where he made a huge athletic play and then launched the ball to Clay and he reacts poorly and it is incomplete.  

Or a great pass to a streaking Zay Jones and he just failed to get under it to make the play.  Guys like Foster and Benjamin would flash, but not make the big play to help out.  That got a bit better last year with Brown and Beasley, but you really see a difference this year.  Diggs just goes and gets it and that makes those plays so much nicer.  

The 50 yard completion to Diggs against LV is the perfect example - it was not a perfect throw - even Josh admitted that, but it was in the ball park and Diggs makes the play.  Therefore it goes into a beautiful highlight reel that in year 1 was left empty because no one makes that play.  

You can really see the development and his manipulation of the defense this year and his touch and arm angles are amazing.  What a difference a year makes!

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, wjag said:

So this is a serious question from a lifelong fan but never a football player at any level other than sandlot.

What makes one guy have a cannon arm and another not?  I would imagine the strength and conditioning all QBs do is meant to increase arm strength, yet all QBs are not equal.  What other factors contribute to one guy having a cannon and others not?  Is it just reps, strength and conditioning?  Body frame?  Muscle mass?

Many things go into it, but a lot is core strength and hip flexibility and rotation.  It is the same reason some guys can throw 100 mph fastballs with pinpoint accuracy and a similar build person with less training can’t.  Or how a golf pro can drive a ball down the fairway 350 yards, but me with the same equipment and ball seems to go 220 yards and scare the heck out of the people on the next fairway.

First they have to have natural strength that they can build from (arm, shoulder, neck, upper body), then you need core strength and hip and lower leg strength to drive the ball.  The power comes from the hip rotation and core.  That is why even on his arm throws this year - you see him get his hips out in front.  That helps drive the ball and provides accuracy.  Josh is naturally strong and just with a flick can throw a long way, but as we saw in the Jets game on the overthrow to Brown - just the arm causes the ball to direct erratically.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah, that was impressive.  I think if he starts adding pump fakes into his arsenal, he'll raise his game to a new level.

Cover 1 talked about this I think in the Miami highlights - he is already doing it with just his shoulders and motion.  Patting the ball is like catnip to a DB and he has started to use it as part of his manipulation.  He is also getting better at moving his shoulders to simulate a throw is coming and then resetting and hitting the newly uncovered guy.