Josh's Amazing Array of Throws From Yesterday

11 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Many things go into it, but a lot is core strength and hip flexibility and rotation.  It is the same reason some guys can throw 100 mph fastballs with pinpoint accuracy and a similar build person with less training can’t.  Or how a golf pro can drive a ball down the fairway 350 yards, but me with the same equipment and ball seems to go 220 yards and scare the heck out of the people on the next fairway.

First they have to have natural strength that they can build from (arm, shoulder, neck, upper body), then you need core strength and hip and lower leg strength to drive the ball.  The power comes from the hip rotation and core.  That is why even on his arm throws this year - you see him get his hips out in front.  That helps drive the ball and provides accuracy.  Josh is naturally strong and just with a flick can throw a long way, but as we saw in the Jets game on the overthrow to Brown - just the arm causes the ball to direct erratically.

It's also like with that weird throw when Allen got hurt. Was that a great decision? Not really. But he put it in a place where Diggs would get to it before anyone else and I think he had trust Diggs would either get it or make sure no one else did.

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

It's also like with that weird throw when Allen got hurt. Was that a great decision? Not really. But he put it in a place where Diggs would get to it before anyone else and I think he had trust Diggs would either get it or make sure no one else did.

The issue isn’t was it a good decision or not because you see guys like Rodgers and Mahomes make similar plays.  Guys with talent and desire want to make every play.

It is way I also did not mind the little pitch he threw to Singletary last week that went out of bounds.  He drew the defenders and there was a play to be made there.

I just want him to protect himself a bit better.  He made the pitch to Diggs, but that left himself exposed.  Of course Rodgers has done the same thing - so I will live with that because he has a fire and desire to win.

24 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Me too..  If Patrick Mahomes did that exact play throwing with his off hand (which everyone on here can see him doing), the talking heads would be ballyhooing his creativity.  

1 minute ago, wjag said:

Me too..  If Patrick Mahomes did that exact play throwing with his off hand (which everyone on here can see him doing), the talking heads would be ballyhooing his creativity.  

I mean they did call Josh a magician and if he didn't get hurt they probably go for it on 4th down and that's where it stays. But it was a crazy play to make like the line of scrimmage pass/ pitch to McKenzie against the Rams it seemed crazy but it wasn't too dangerous and could of been a insane positive play.

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Because it is where the ball leaves the field of play.  They have marked it like that for years.

It used to be where you would land out of bounds, but now it is where the ball leaves the field as the player goes out.  It is most noticeable at the goal line where the goal line used to extend “around the world” and guys could leap and land 5 yard out of bounds past the goal line and get a TD and now they have to have the ball inside the pylon.

I knew they had changed that for the pylon, didn't know in the regular field of play. thanks :)

3 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

I knew they had changed that for the pylon, didn't know in the regular field of play. thanks :)

It is why you see these guys even as their bodies are falling out of bounds - they are reaching with the ball back into the field.  The ball can be off the field when they are still in play, but before they land out of bounds they work to swing that ball back in.

Overall it is hard for the Refs, but it was designed to give them a sort of reference point rather than trying to guess when they land where there are no markers.

Edited by Rochesterfan

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I don't know what he did in the off-season.  I just see it as his natural progression.   He's learning that way all QBs learn, gradually, over time.   He's seeing the field better, he's concentrating and more relaxed.   But he always had that arm.  He made those throws two years ago, just not so often or so consistently.   

He's an extraordinary talent. 

there have been a ton of stories about JA working with Jordan Palmer and reaching out to Tony Romo......he's obviously put in the work and reached out for advice. This season so far has been ALOT more than just his natural progression. He was a mess (relatively speaking) early on.

6 hours ago, Stranded in Boston said:

Indeed, it's been amazing seeing Josh's touch on long passes and to open receivers. He so clearly has adjusted his mechanics from previous years, opening his hips and not doing that giant javelin-throwing step. The kid clearly worked hard to improve -- hats off. ... Speaking of mechanics (and not to change the subject) -- it's really fun to key on Dion Dawkins in that highlight video. I know the Raiders don't have great pass-rushers, but Dawkins absolutely OWNS his man on every play. Superb combination of light-as-feather feet, brute strength and nasty attitude. Nice for Josh to not worry about his blind side ...

Speaking of great blocks, Knox had a real corker on the Davis touchdown. 

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

there have been a ton of stories about JA working with Jordan Palmer and reaching out to Tony Romo......he's obviously put in the work and reached out for advice. This season so far has been ALOT more than just his natural progression. He was a mess (relatively speaking) early on.

Yeah, I read the stories.   I just don't buy that he's made some kind of historic leap.  When a guy works with coaches, like that, he's working on little things.  He isn't remaking his game.  Little things account for maybe a completion a game, maybe two.  If off-season coaching and work could improve Allen's passer rating from 85 to 120, then every quarterback would do that training.   

Allen has been working with Daboll and his offense for three years.  They began asking him to do things he'd never done before.   Little by little, he progressed.  He's now seeing the field.  He now knows where his receivers will be.  He now knows what to do with certain blitzes.  

As I've said several times, he isn't making any throws he didn't make two years ago.  He's just making them more consistently.  He threw plenty of balls with touch last season.  He's making them behind the best offensive line pass protection he's had since he got to Buffalo.   He has Diggs and Davis this year, plus two experienced tight ends instead of one rookie.  

I think he's just making normal progress from season to season, and the team is getting better around him.    

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I read the stories.   I just don't buy that he's made some kind of historic leap.  When a guy works with coaches, like that, he's working on little things.  He isn't remaking his game.  Little things account for maybe a completion a game, maybe two.  If off-season coaching and work could improve Allen's passer rating from 85 to 120, then every quarterback would do that training.   

Allen has been working with Daboll and his offense for three years.  They began asking him to do things he'd never done before.   Little by little, he progressed.  He's now seeing the field.  He now knows where his receivers will be.  He now knows what to do with certain blitzes.  

As I've said several times, he isn't making any throws he didn't make two years ago.  He's just making them more consistently.  He threw plenty of balls with touch last season.  He's making them behind the best offensive line pass protection he's had since he got to Buffalo.   He has Diggs and Davis this year, plus two experienced tight ends instead of one rookie.  

I think he's just making normal progress from season to season, and the team is getting better around him.    

OK, so we both read the stories - I didn't say he made some kind of historic leap......others might disagree (e.g., going from approx 58% to 71% completion %). I don't think you are appreciating the vast improvements to his mechanics (....Romo's advice was solid) and the touch he is putting on the ball along with dropping it in tight windows vs. throwing 110mph fastballs.

I disagree this is "normal" progress but do agree with your other points about continuity, having a better team around him, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Was reading an article in the Athletic, below was one quote:

Daboll used 19 different packages on Sunday. If that wasn’t impressive enough, he used 15 different personnel combinations through the first half, which consisted of only 30 plays.

Got me thinking some, is more of Allen's improvement due to him just finally understanding the offense?  Maybe last year when he'd drop back half the time he'd be trying to understand the play that there wasn't enough time left to often throw a good catchable pass.  I'm sure working on the mechanics helped too, but maybe the mental part is a bigger reason for the improvement than people realize.

Without a doubt. 

It's not just understanding the offense, which I believe Allen did last year

It's not just reading the defense correctly, which was clearly a work in progress for Allen last year and might be this year as he encounters the trickier defensive minds.

He has to read the defense, and UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT MEANS FOR THE PLAY.

That last is the part I believe Allen has improved.

• Like (+1) 1