Josh's Amazing Array of Throws From Yesterday

Remember all of those years when you would watch NFL highlights and see QBs making great throws and say, "Why can't we get one of those types of passers?" Well, guess what Bills' fans? We've got one and as the title says, "Josh Allen is not a fluke."

Take a moment a look at the great array of tosses he had yesterday. The TD toss to Gabriel Davis is a great case in point. He looks left the whole way to draw the safety and they comes back right and lets it go immediately with the perfect amount of loft and velocity. A thing of beauty.

To quote a Seinfeld nugget, "They're real and they're spectacular."

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Was reading an article in the Athletic, below was one quote:

Daboll used 19 different packages on Sunday. If that wasn’t impressive enough, he used 15 different personnel combinations through the first half, which consisted of only 30 plays.

Got me thinking some, is more of Allen's improvement due to him just finally understanding the offense?  Maybe last year when he'd drop back half the time he'd be trying to understand the play that there wasn't enough time left to often throw a good catchable pass.  I'm sure working on the mechanics helped too, but maybe the mental part is a bigger reason for the improvement than people realize.

• Like (+1) 13

So I freeze framed the launch point on the Diggs bomb.  Allen threw it from the 33 and Diggs caught it on the 11.  So 56 air yards.  That was when I knew the Bills were going to win and any doubt about his injury evaporated.

Edited by wjag
biwt
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Indeed, it's been amazing seeing Josh's touch on long passes and to open receivers. He so clearly has adjusted his mechanics from previous years, opening his hips and not doing that giant javelin-throwing step. The kid clearly worked hard to improve -- hats off. ... Speaking of mechanics (and not to change the subject) -- it's really fun to key on Dion Dawkins in that highlight video. I know the Raiders don't have great pass-rushers, but Dawkins absolutely OWNS his man on every play. Superb combination of light-as-feather feet, brute strength and nasty attitude. Nice for Josh to not worry about his blind side ...

Edited by Stranded in Boston
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Daboll used 19 different packages on Sunday. If that wasn’t impressive enough, he used 15 different personnel combinations through the first half, which consisted of only 30 plays.

Got me thinking some, is more of Allen's improvement due to him just finally understanding the offense?  Maybe last year when he'd drop back half the time he'd be trying to understand the play that there wasn't enough time left to often throw a good catchable pass.  I'm sure working on the mechanics helped too, but maybe the mental part is a bigger reason for the improvement than people realize.

I also think his understanding of defenses has improved. Looking at the Cole TD. On the snap he instantly looks right. The defense is very concerned about Diggs and a guy that should be picking up Cole makes a move to double Diggs (also looks like a miscommunication between the DBs). The *instant* he heads to double Diggs you see Josh recognizes the gap and fires it to Cole in the vacated spot.

Its a culmination of progress on all fronts. Team building adding Diggs to scare defenses, play call to give Josh multiple looks on the same side of the field, reading defensive leverage and exploiting mistakes and then obviously execution firing the ball in time accurately.

Edited by jletha
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, wjag said:

So I freeze framed the launch point on the Diggs bomb.  Allen through it from the 33 and Diggs caught it on the 11.  So 56 air yards.  That was when I knew the Bills were going to win and any doubt about his injury evaporated.

Watch it again.  He doesn't put his body into the throw.  He could have thrown it 70 yards if he wanted.  Amazing arm. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Stranded in Boston said:

Indeed, it's been amazing seeing Josh's touch on long passes and to open receivers. He so clearly has adjusted his mechanics from previous years, opening his hips and not doing that giant javelin-throwing step. The kid clearly worked hard to improve -- hats off.

Yeah and his open hip throws are more wrist and flick than wind up and chuck. 

His release keeps getting faster, the TD to Diggs last week he had no room to wind up or time to throw but he zips it out somehow and hits a TD that meant the difference in the game.

Watching the game yesterday we were laughing at all the replays where the ball is in the perfect spot every throw.  Takin it for granted now.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

This is the top thing I love about Josh besides his drive. His arm makes 20-30 yard throws 15-20 of average qbs. Opens up the field so much more

So this is a serious question from a lifelong fan but never a football player at any level other than sandlot.

What makes one guy have a cannon arm and another not?  I would imagine the strength and conditioning all QBs do is meant to increase arm strength, yet all QBs are not equal.  What other factors contribute to one guy having a cannon and others not?  Is it just reps, strength and conditioning?  Body frame?  Muscle mass?

3 minutes ago, wjag said:

So this is a serious question from a lifelong fan but never a football player at any level other than sandlot.

What makes one guy have a cannon arm and another not?  I would imagine the strength and conditioning all QBs do is meant to increase arm strength, yet all QBs are not equal.  What other factors contribute to one guy having a cannon and others not?  Is it just reps, strength and conditioning?  Body frame?  Muscle mass?

As a guy who never played himself but watches every game lol, his height athletic background and farm boy strength is my guess. But watching brady yesterday his passes limped 10 yards on most occasions 

55 minutes ago, wjag said:

So I freeze framed the launch point on the Diggs bomb.  Allen through it from the 33 and Diggs caught it on the 11.  So 56 air yards.  That was when I knew the Bills were going to win and any doubt about his injury evaporated.

LoL, I did the same thing! Twice!! I had a $20 bet last year against a KC fan long time coworker for longest in air throw/completion. I paid.

57 minutes ago, wjag said:

So I freeze framed the launch point on the Diggs bomb.  Allen threw it from the 33 and Diggs caught it on the 11.  So 56 air yards.  That was when I knew the Bills were going to win and any doubt about his injury evaporated.

Before I even saw who it was going to , I knew it would be caught😃

These are special days And this is the beginning of a Magical time for Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Absolutely. I think that his pre-snap reads are probably much better. This enables him to have a good idea where to go. This gives him confidence which breeds poise and accuracy. The receivers that Beane has surrounded him with obviously also fuel his confidence.

• Like (+1) 1