Allen has stopped running??? Any reason

5 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

He is having so much success from the pocket that it seems unnecessary. They are also probably keeping it off of film now and "saving it" for certain scenarios and games. 

Good job Doc.  My wiseguy response going to be, “duh, he doesn’t need to, but I would get slapped by my son or daughter.”  The cool thing is he can just focus on this and when it’s on the line and it will with the Hawks, Chiefs, 49ers even with their banged up guys, Pats, and I can keep going like the Titans this week is when we need a surprise. Lull a team into only 20 yards rushing against the Jets, Broncos, and so on, and then BAM, PING, POW (sorry I loved the Batman reruns as a little kid on Channel 29) Dabolls dusts off the designed run playbook and gashes a couple of big ones.

I know no one will be that surprised, but if you want to hold a card back for the biggest games, it’s one of those moments you say, “Is this Jimmy Shaker Day?”  I’m sure you guys know that movie line.  It’s only on AMC every other month.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

OK - so you wanna RUN JA into the ground?  Sorry man - but that is no bueno in my book.  I'd rather have a healthy QB than a banged up one.  Admit it.....your heart almost went through your throat when you saw JA walking into the tunnel holding his arm.  I'll admit my response was too overly broad but I was discussing the topic at hand.  You wanna talk about how to improve the D?  The O-Line?  I'm all over that.  JA needing more running attempts?  Nope.

a bit erratic there with not saying what you mean and then reading things that weren’t written. 

• Like (+1) 2

Now that defenses have no choice but to respect the Bills' passing game, I think you'll see lanes open up as defenders fall back to avoid getting bombed. It's the catch-22 defenses face when playing Wilson. We haven't even seen Allen rip off the crazy runs yet, he's been judicious, more signs of his development.

What we've seen from Allen's early returns is the ultimate videogame player, it's almost a parody. Someone with an arm THAT strong, can use it appropriately, and has one of the best receiving corps in the league. Oh and btw, this guy is also a Top 3 running QB. Did you hear about the time he overpowered the Cowboys' defensive line? Or when he hurdled an NFL linebacker?

6 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No I don't want him to be Lamar or Kyler, but not one run this week (QB sneak for TD notwithstanding), but wondering as to the reasoning.  

Seemed there were some opportunities and certainly understand being careful after the injury, however this too was evident in the LA game too.

He doesnt need too.  Unlike say Lamar, he is winning with his right arm from the pocket.  Eventually teams will stop wanting to be carved up from the pocket and those lanes will open again.

Edited by MAJBobby

His WRs actually get consistent separation from WR1 all the way down to WR4/5, he gets more time in the pocket behind an improved line, and in his third year he’s seeing the field much better.  Running so often was a bailout for him to keep the chains moving while the rest of his game developed. Now he simply doesn’t need to with so many weapons on offense at his disposal.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No I don't want him to be Lamar or Kyler, but not one run this week (QB sneak for TD notwithstanding), but wondering as to the reasoning.  

Seemed there were some opportunities and certainly understand being careful after the injury, however this too was evident in the LA game too.

Having been an advocate of "pocket Allen", I think later in these games when opposing defenses are backing off into a variety of cover-3 and 4 looks and there is only a 4-man rush or a 4-man rush with a shallow spy on Allen then there are opportunities for Allen to move the chains with his legs.

Some things I believe I noticed too in those late game situations:

1. Allen's outlet/dump option, particularly away from his rollout direction is usually open, but he is locked deep.
  2. Although they try to hem Allen in the pocket, he has a lot of green if he beats one guy to the sideline, but he has almost gone too far at times the other direction looking to force a play downfield.

Not too surprised as I thought the pendulum would swing a bit towards either extreme (pocket vs running) before Allen settled into more of a balanced approach. The kid is an extremely hard worker and as such perhaps he feels he has to force the demonstration of his maturation in the role and the changes he is making.

He has proven he can throw from the pocket, but he needs to leverage his athletic scramble ability not just to extend plays, but to safely scamper up-field and to the side lines or slide when the defense is giving up too much green in front of him, and it may well be the better option than spinning away from one defender behind the LOS into the arms of pursuit, or having to throw while getting planted awkwardly into the turf. Not advocating playing scared, but taking advantage of what the defenses are giving and also giving Defensive Coordinators something else to think about.

8 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

He's showing he can beat teams in the pocket now. Yesterday during pre-game one of the things that was suggested the Raiders do is contain Allen and make him beat them from the pocket, well he did just that. 

He's not a one dimensional QB, he can run, he can throw on the run and he can throw from the pocket. 

8 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Been wondering that too. 

I think teams are still planning against his running ability and hes good enough now to make that work for him without running.

Has to be right?

Hrcan run whrn needed.

teams are using spies on him to control his running.

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I’ll take Self Preservation for $1,000 Alex.  

TBH, I don't think "self preservation" factors heavily into Josh Allen's game-time decision making

"Your job is to get the ball to the playmakers and put them in position to make plays, not to make 'em all yourself" yes.

"Self preservation" no.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBH, I don't think "self preservation" factors heavily into Josh Allen's game-time decision making

"Your job is to get the ball to the playmakers and put them in position to make plays, not to make 'em all yourself" yes.

"Self preservation" no.

I completely agree. Instinctively, he will always do whatever it takes, regardless of the risk. I meant more that the coaches are trying to preserve him by running him less. 

10 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Actually he ran the TD after he was injured so it had no effect. 

The reason is why run when your WRs are wide open.

8 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I completely agree. Instinctively, he will always do whatever it takes, regardless of the risk. I meant more that the coaches are trying to preserve him by running him less. 

TBH, I truly do believe that "Daboll is a lunatic" and tries in every way to tailor his game plan to the opponent's weakness

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

To enjoy a long career it's better to play from the pocket and not expose himself to open field shots,  the threat of him running and being able to is enough.  I don't want him returning to the days of 100 plus yards running and have all the bumps and injuries that go along with it.

You hit the nail on the head look at the year cam had MVP but those hits took a toll and Allen is a way better passer if it’s a tight game and we got to have a first down and he takes off then I’m fine with it. Especially if it’s a big game like playoffs or trying to get home field sometimes those yards are hard to come by