Allen has stopped running??? Any reason

Allen passing the ball is a higher percentage play than Allen running the ball. This is a positive development. Both Allen and Daboll have realized this. Allen still thinks he's Superman though when plays breakdown. That's going to be tough to coach out of him. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No I don't want him to be Lamar or Kyler, but not one run this week (QB sneak for TD notwithstanding), but wondering as to the reasoning.  

Seemed there were some opportunities and certainly understand being careful after the injury, however this too was evident in the LA game too.

his receivers are always open

• Like (+1) 1

Looking at it game-by-game, what we saw against the Jets in Game 1 was a similar (albeit, significantly improved) formula that was used last season -- with Josh using his running ability as a heavy part of the the game plan.

That same week, the Dolphins were heavily gashed by Cam Newton -- so fearing a similar fate against the Bills in Week 2, the coaching staff focused on taking that part of the game away from Josh in Week 2. The Miami gameplan was to keep Josh in the pocket and force him to beat them with his arm -- which he did to the tune of over 400 yards passing. That game was the real coming out party for Josh as a complete QB. You could really see in that game how the light switch has come on for him -- and how much the game has slowed down. He is reading defenses much better now and can survey the whole field. Remember in reviewing game film last season how many open receivers we would see that Josh missed? Not so much this year. He is seeing the field much better, trusting what he sees (trusting his supporting cast better too) -- and less inclined to take off and run.

Since the Miami game, Dabol and the coaching staff have been content to not fix what ain't broken. Josh's running ability is a significant element of his arsenal, but as long as teams are respecting that part of his game and allowing our deep corps of receivers to see one-on-one coverage, we will continue to see more passing from Josh. It will be interesting to see what happens when we start facing better defenses.

Edited by 2003Contenders
  • Like (+1) 1

Why do it when you dont need it..on quite a few plays the other team has people "spying"(if you dont believe it go look at the tape and watch) Allen..whats that do////leaves 1 less guy in the pass protection as he is spying Allen..YAY!  And whats good? with this WR group(top 3 in the NFL) 1 less guy covering them and watching Allen instead = awesome!

Someone said it up thread but I think it bears repeating.  They wanted it on tape.  They will use it when think they need to, but I think they like the threat of it more than actually doing it.  This a passing team (Raiders have been run out the building and we went 60-40 pass).

good. I don't want my franchise QB running around taking hits when we clearly don't need him to

designed QB runs are a waste of time. too many things need to go right for it to work. if allen needs to run he can do it when its needed  

Edited by Penfield45

3 minutes ago, CBennett said:

Ever notice the 2X Allen really got "hurt" it was in the pocket? 

Fair enough.. it’s more of the “I’m going to run over this LB and leapfrog this safety” kind of plays that worry me.. Save those type of runs for playoff games and vital moments.. Scrambling East to West and dropping a dime 50 yards down the field though is fantastic.. more of that please!

Simple answer: it hasn't been necessary. Yes, there have been opportunities, but Josh has improved as a passer and our receiving corps took a huge leap forward with Diggs, Davis (a big surprise), and an improved Beasley.

Josh Allen is seeing the field NEXT LEVEL style.  I think he is wanting to use his elusiveness, athleticism and strength to transition into more Aaron Rodgers/Ben Roethlisberger style of play to look at opportunities down the field as opposed to running for first downs.

• Like (+1) 1

We will face a defense at one point that gets pressure pretty quick and we will see some scrambles. Our line has done an amazing job on pass pro. Allen was running around and fumbling in past games and it looks like they stressed it in film so he’s slowed it down 

• Like (+1) 1