Gabe Davis isn't playing like a rookie

I really didn't expect this kind of production from him this season.  I thought he would be pretty quiet this year and benefit from studying at Wide Receiver University behind Diggs, Brown, and Beasley learning what it takes to be a solid NFL WR.  He is making key plays every time his number is called.  He doesn't get many targets but he takes advantage of every single one and has been hauling in passes that move the sticks and score TDs.

Through four games he has 8 targets and 8 receptions.  For those of you without an abacus handy, that's a 100% catch rate.  Two of those catches were TDs.  He's on pace for 8 TDs this year, his rookie year, as the team's WR4.  He was averaging an incredible 14.7 yards per reception coming into the Raiders' game and that average will go up with his 26 yard TD reception today.  A critical play that won't show up on his stats was the route at the end of the Rams game that he drew the flag on.  Being aggressive and running the route as hard as he could helped win that game for us.  

The big takeaway from me is that the NFL game just doesn't seem too big for him. I think Beane and his scouts really found a late round gem in Davis. He was the 17th WR selected in this year's draft.  Crazy.  I hope Beane can find the money to keep John Brown after this year.  I'd hate to take any weapon away from this offense the way it is clicking right now,  but if Brown does move on, I think Gabe is showing that he has the chops to step up and become a legit WR2 with upside in this League.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 9

He was definitely a steal in the 4th round  !!!

2 hours ago, Kenosha2Buffalo said:

WR class will go down as one of the best ever. He was SO good in college

I wouldn’t trade Diggs for ANY of them 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you go back to the draft Embedded video they put out, its especially great hearing Beane talk about him at the scouting combine (4:10) and hoping that he doesn't run too fast of a time  in the 40 making his draft stock go up.  He knew he wanted to grab him even before the combine

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

38 minutes ago, Putin said:

He was definitely a steal in the 4th round  !!!

I wouldn’t trade Diggs for ANY of them 

I agreed, diggs was instant success/need, and exactly what Josh needs. Doesn't take away from the depth and talent coming out this year

Edited by Kenosha2Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Fast becoming a fan and team favorite. He’s everything we’ve talked about as a WR for the Bills. Tall, fast, uses his body, ‘Want To!’.

And 3 more years under contract making next to nothing.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I really didn't expect this kind of production from him this season.  I thought he would be pretty quiet this year and benefit from studying at Wide Receiver University behind Diggs, Brown, and Beasley learning what it takes to be a solid NFL WR.  He is making key plays every time his number is called.  He doesn't get many targets but he takes advantage of every single one and has been hauling in passes that move the sticks and score TDs.

Through four games he has 8 targets and 8 receptions.  For those of you without an abacus handy, that's a 100% catch rate.  Two of those catches were TDs.  He's on pace for 8 TDs this year, his rookie year, as the team's WR4.  He was averaging an incredible 14.7 yards per reception coming into the Raiders' game and that average will go up with his 26 yard TD reception today.  A critical play that won't show up on his stats was the route at the end of the Rams game that he drew the flag on.  Being aggressive and running the route as hard as he could helped win that game for us.  

The big takeaway from me is that the NFL game just doesn't seem too big for him. I think Beane and his scouts really found a late round gem in Davis. He was the 17th WR selected in this year's draft.  Crazy.  I hope Beane can find the money to keep John Brown after this year.  I'd hate to take any weapon away from this offense the way it is clicking right now,  but if Brown does move on, I think Gabe is showing that he has the chops to step up and become a legit WR2 with upside in this League.

14.7 is good,but hardly "incredible "

9 minutes ago, Georgie said:

14.7 is good,but hardly "incredible "

With today’s game factored in that number is now 16.1 yards per reception which ranks Gabe 17th in the NFL. 

I stand by my adjective.  😉

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Fast becoming a fan and team favorite. He’s everything we’ve talked about as a WR for the Bills. Tall, fast, uses his body, ‘Want To!’.

Gabby was a draft day steal :)

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Beane lands the best WR in the 2020 class in the 4th round. #wizard

The kid is ready to play even without OTA's 

I think the other receivers helped him but you need natural ability and a lot of football smarts to play as good as he is.

• Like (+1) 1

He has caught everything thrown his way including one ridiculous catch on 3rd down for a TD that was needed badly and a nice toe tap on a deep ball vs the Rams.  However, he is in about as good a position as he could be.  On a team that is passing the ball well with three quality Receivers on the field at the same time as him some plays.  Diggs and to a lesser extent Brown and Beasley need to be handled by the defenses as they are known quantities who can beat you.  Gabriel Davis is the forgotten man, no double teams to deal with and no pressure as the top WR on the team like some of the other rookie WR's.  This looks like a great pick who I am sure will continue to develop.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Best WR class in a while and so far he’s been the best one 

Stop it.

Jefferson has two 100 yard games. Jeudy is averaging over 50 yards a game. Lamb put up a two TD performance.

Jeudy: 15 rec., 234 yards, 1 TD.

Lamb: 21 rec., 309 yards, 2 TDs.

Jefferson: 16 rec., 348 yards, 1 TD.

Davis: 8 rec., 129 yards, 2 TDs.

I think Jerry Jeudy has been the most impressive, given his QB situation and the fact that he's the only good WR on his team.

I do love Davis though...and I'd obviously take Diggs and Davis over any one of those three I listed above.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

Stop it.

Jefferson has two 100 yard games. Jeudy is averaging over 50 yards a game. Lamb put up a two TD performance.

Jeudy: 15 rec., 234 yards, 1 TD.

Lamb: 21 rec., 309 yards, 2 TDs.

Jefferson: 16 rec., 348 yards, 1 TD.

Davis: 8 rec., 129 yards, 2 TDs.

I think Jerry Jeudy has been the most impressive, given his QB situation and the fact that he's the only good WR on his team.

I do love Davis though...and I'd obviously take Diggs and Davis over any one of those three I listed above.

okay I might’ve fibbed lmao

• Haha (+1) 1