Josh's Development is as Dramatic as Lamar's Was Last Season

StHustle

I didn't think of it like that until I read this headline. But that's a very accurate comparison. I remember being in shock how well Lamar started throwing the ball at the beginning of last season.  I also remember thinking there was no way he could sustain that level of play for long let alone the entire season. He ended up MVP.

Lamar's leap could be considered more impressive cause he did it with much less experience than Josh.  I prefer Josh's ascension however, the joy is in the journey. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/josh-allen-s-dramatic-development-central-to-bills-perfect-start

• Thank you (+1) 2

its close. he isn't as flashy as Lamar and Ravens probably had more talent on their team but if Allen can maintain this form all season long then man..

Also Allen isn't being handheld by a gimmick offense, or run game, or elite defense. not saying lamar is but many young qb's get babied in this league  

Strictly passing only, Allen's jump is unprecedented and greater than Jackson's. In total they are probably about the same when you factor in the huge rushing year Lamar had. But I think we all sort of new Lamar potentially could go off like that as a runner. Nobody, not even the most optimistic Bills fans saw a leap from 58% to 71% completion for Allen and 12-1* TD to INT ratio.

• Like (+1) 4

In all honesty, as a long time Wyoming fan, and a new(er) Bills fan (since Josh came on), its great to see Josh finally got the coaching and support on the field he so badly needed to shine. Though, us Cowboy fans got a sneak peak of this back in 2016 when he had a pretty good supporting cast on offense and an aggressive defense. A lot of NFL players from that year, actually. After that, and losing his cast, mainly his #1 WR, his top TE target, his workhorse RB, and anchor Center (all went to the NFL), his production and protection fell off badly. Meaning a lot more hero ball, having to make more plays himself, and not really being coached up as he should have been.

But now he has pretty good o-line, really good WRs, solid TEs, and shifty RBs to work with as well as a coach on offense that not only coaches to his strengths, but helps him develop. It was something we said back when he declared for the draft; he needed to go somewhere where he would get the support and coaching he needed to truly shine, and the sky would be the limit. We knew he had the drive and fire, the willingness to not only learn but to will the team to win. So, yeah. Us Poke fans are watching Josh and the Bills pretty closely, even moreso this year. And enjoying Josh tearing up defenses.

4 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Strictly passing only, Allen's jump is unprecedented and greater than Jackson's. In total they are probably about the same when you factor in the huge rushing year Lamar had. But I think we all sort of new Lamar potentially could go off like that as a runner. Nobody, not even the most optimistic Bills fans saw a leap from 58% to 71% completion for Allen and 12-1* TD to INT ratio.

Actually, I think there are quite a few Bills fans, and posters on this board, who believed Allen was capable of reaching this level of play this year. I think it is more shocking to those who, to one degree or another, bought into the ridiculous narratives that were pushed about him from the moment he was drafted.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Allen's improvements imo is leaps and bounds more than Jacksons. I've never seen this kind of improvement in one off season. I thought Josh was pretty good last year and he made good improvements in the short game. This year the dude went from pretty good to first ballot hall of fame (in a comparison sense.) 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, cage said:

Question:  Did we just have a game where the phrase "Josh Allen Experience" was not uttered, tweeted or written about??  

Well, there was that 4th quarter sack that took them out of FG range...

;)

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

Actually, I think there are quite a few Bills fans, and posters on this board, who believed Allen was capable of reaching this level of play this year. I think it is more shocking to those who, to one degree or another, bought into the ridiculous narratives that were pushed about him from the moment he was drafted.

Present.

• Like (+1) 2

If you look at Lamar’s game log last year, he feasted against bad teams and had pretty pedestrian numbers against playoff teams. Watching Allen so far this year and Lamar in spurts (but the whole KC game) Allen is simply a better passer than him this year. 

27 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

If you look at Lamar’s game log last year, he feasted against bad teams and had pretty pedestrian numbers against playoff teams. Watching Allen so far this year and Lamar in spurts (but the whole KC game) Allen is simply a better passer than him this year. 

If you ask me who I would want, its Allen for sure.  But of course I am biased as are most anyone reading this.   Allen is a better passer, I don't think you will find a lot to argue that.  However you might find people to argue the reighning MVP who is 25-4 and finds a way to be effective is more attractive than a QB who throws better.   Heck you find guys in the media take Lamar over Mahomes which I will never understand.  It is great he can kill you with runs and makes you defend in ways you never thought you would need to but to me a QB has to be able to be a pocket passer when that is what is called for.  I am not sure Lamar is that, but I think Allen can be.

Josh is the better passer, Lamar is the better athlete. Allen can do things throwing the football that Lamar can't at this point. Lamar can do things with his legs that no other player in the NFL can at this point. Allen's deep ball is better, he consistently completes passes outside the hashes, and he is thriving from the pocket this year. Lamar is spotty on the deep ball, has trouble throwing outside the hashes, and struggles from the pocket unless it's those quick hitters across the middle of the field. 

Man i love his jump. 

Year 1:

Short passing ball placement was poor. Deep ball was decent.

Year 2:

Short passing/intermediate ball placement good to very good. Deepball non existant. 

Year 3:

Put it all together. 

I expected him to be able to complete his passing tree, but his game now has much exceeded what i thought it would be this year. 

I personally think we have seen near his ceiling in terms of him as a thrower and its beautiful. 

Now lets see if he can continue growing mentally, game management, decision making and presnap adjustments. Looks great so far.

I'd argue Allen's development is more dramatic as more people were labeling him as borderline bust after two seasons.  Jackson didn't look strong as a passer after his rookie year, but only had one year of looking bad.  Many rookies don't look that good.  Did Jackson even start every game as a rookie, didn't Flaco start the year and go hurt?  Allen's 2nd year while much improved still could easily create "lowlight" highlights of him.  Also seems less people make such a big change from 2nd to 3rd year so was less expected this year so more dramatic.

Lamar is a lot better than I thought he'd be, but no way is he able to make the first quarter throw that Josh threw to the sideline about 20 yards down the field to Diggs or the ridiculous throw to Brown that should have been a touchdown.  There are but a few players in this league that can make those throws.

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

can we compare Josh to QB's who actually pass the ball as a primary mission? 

please 

Allen is on a Mahomes type of trajectory right now. Once he stops taking those bad sacks for a loss from time to time, he's on that level. Yesterday he threw the ball away at least 3 or 4 times prior to that one gaffe and I was extremely happy with that. 

• Like (+1) 1