ROCKPILE REVIEW - FInding Ways to Win

Shaw66

Sean McDermott said they would do it, and they’re doing it.  They’re making winning the fourth quarter a habit. 

The Bills did it again Sunday against the Raiders, carrying a small lead into halftime, and letting it shrink to one point in the third quarter.  Then they poured on two fourth-quarter TDs and two fourth-quarter take aways.  The game was over. The Bills went to 4-0, and a few more people around the country realized the 2020 Bills are for real. 

Of course, they wouldn’t be the Bills if they didn’t make it closer at the end than anyone would like.  It would be nice if just for once, the Bills didn’t have to recover on onside kick to secure the win.  The weekly bonehead play by Josh Allen cost the Bils a field goal and made the game closer than it needed to be.   But that’s about all that went wrong in Las Vegas. 

The game was pretty much an even match.  Yards, plays, first downs, time of possession all were fairly even.  Quarterback passing stats were pretty close, too.

The difference was the two takeaways, both earned by the Bills – no gifts.  First, Josh Norman closed beautifully on Darron Waller to make the tackle and punch the ball out, then scrambled to make the recovery.  Then Quinton Jefferson did the same thing to Derek Carr – relentless pass rush, perfect swipe to create the fumble and a scramble for the recovery.  Both were athletic, heads-up plays.  The first lead to the Bills score that provided the margin of victory, the second effectively ended the Raiders’ chances.  

But for the takeaways, the defense could have been the goats in a Bills loss.  They couldn’t stop the Raiders, at least not until the Raiders got into scoring position.  The Raiders just kept scoring.  The defense tightened up some in the second half, forcing a punt, two fumbles and a great stop on fourth and one.  That, combined with the fourth quarter resurrection of the offense, was enough to bring home the win.

Edmunds was the standout.  He had what may have been the best game of his young career.  He was everywhere on the field – blitzing, tackling ball carriers, roaming the defensive backfield.  No sloppy tackling this week.   Extraordinary quickness, darting into a hole to manage his gap, then curling back and assisting on tackles across the field.  I’m sure, either after the game, or in the film room, coaches will say to him, “THAT’S the way you’re supposed to play the game, with THAT speed and THAT kind of focus.”  If a trip to Vegas is what it took for the light to go on, if that’s what we can expect to see week in and week out for the next several years, then by all means send him to Vegas.  I’ll be his chaperone.

As always, of course, the story of the Raiders game is Josh Allen.  When they win and when they lose (and unless we’re witnessing a miracle, the Bills will lose). The story will be Allen, because he’s just too big not to be the story.  He’s Paul Bunyan.  When he’s good, his play is magnificent, often extraordinary.  When he’s bad, he’s bad in almost mythic ways, this week taking a horrible, horrible sack when he had plenty of time to throw the ball away.  We all keep hoping he’ll get the bad under control, and he seems to be doing better.  And then, BAM!!   What were you thinking, Josh? 

Up until now, whatever the bad, everyone’s been willing to put up with it because the good has been oh, so good.  So good.  He has control of the huddle and the line of scrimmage.  He manages the traffic in the backfield.  His passes have the beauty of those great Joe Ferguson spinners, but Joe was a pee wee compared to Josh.  Josh can throw it anywhere on the field, like a rocket one time and with touch the next.  Not every time, but a lot of the time.  Not with the surgeon-like precision of a Brees, but not so far off, either.  He really is spectacular.  Not consistently enough, but that’s only going to improve. 

What I want from Allen is not just the elimination of the bonehead play, but precision.   More perfect execution every play.  The 49-yard completion to Diggs to set up the final touchdown was great, but he needed the ball five yards to the right to lead Diggs away from the defender.  Instead his throw forced Diggs into a contest for the ball.  A great QB helps his receiver there.

Diggs already has made some nice catches since joining the Bills, but that catch was the best.  I’d seen the highlight videos from Minnesota, and I remember thinking “don’t expect him to be making highlight-reel catches like that – nobody does that all the time.”  And here he is, doing it as a Bill.  His speed and change of direction is magnificent, and his hands just are outstanding.  So there he was, 50 yards downfield, stopping and going up and over the defender to grab the ball.  Outstanding.  Almost as spectacular was his recovery to get his hands on the ball when Josh scrambled and flipped the ball forward in desperation, and then his agility, stretching in vain for the first down.  He’s a special athletic talent, and his intensity is undeniable. 

Then there’s Beasley.  Talk about special athletic talent.   Multiple beautiful receptions – great routes, great body control, great hands.  He gave up his body completely for the touchdown catch.  

Josh got great protection from the offensive line.   He rarely seemed trapped.

The Bills aren’t champions yet.  They have a lot to learn.  They aren’t playing with the killer instincts of the Chiefs and the Pats and occasional other teams.  They still get flustered at times.  They still don’t punt so well, and place kicking is an adventure.  But it’s clear they are well down the road to being great. 

This was the kind of game that the really good teams win.  On the road against a pretty tough opponent.  They need these games, because they’re going to lose sometimes to an elite team, and sometimes just because there’s a hiccup.  The Bills weren’t perfect, but just like last week against the Rams in Orchard Park, the Bills rose up in the fourth quarter to take the win.   That’s a big step for a football team.  They weren’t bad at it last season, and they’re better now. 

It’s happening right here, right now.  Where would you rather be? 

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Nice write up, thanks.

One thing I’ve noticed over the years that other teams have done consistently, that the Bills just haven't been able to do, is to get a few spectacular catches from their WRs when they need them. I’ve seen so many other teams’ WRs make ridiculous catches and have wondered, why can’t we have that? And now we do. I mean, each of our top three WRs made spectacular catches today...Beasley with the crazy TD catch, Diggs with the contested deep catch, and Brown with that absurd catch that should’ve been a TD. All in one game! And we’re seeing it regularly, week after week, including from the rookie. Finally! QBs look a whole lot better when they have WRs who can regularly make plays like that, and we seem to have it in spades now.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Nice write up OP.

My two takeaways we're that we won a road game on the West Coast against a good team when Josh didn't have his best game (still played really solid) and more importantly, it was the first time all year that we saw a spark from the defense.  If this defense can start playing just a little bit better and getting some turnovers this Bills team is going to win 12+ games this season.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

39 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Nice write up, thanks.

One thing I’ve noticed over the years that other teams have done consistently, that the Bills just haven't been able to do, is to get a few spectacular catches from their WRs when they need them. I’ve seen so many other teams’ WRs make ridiculous catches and have wondered, why can’t we have that? And now we do. I mean, each of our top three WRs made spectacular catches today...Beasley with the crazy TD catch, Diggs with the contested deep catch, and Brown with that absurd catch that should’ve been a TD. All in one game! And we’re seeing it regularly, week after week, including from the rookie. Finally! QBs look a whole lot better when they have WRs who can regularly make plays like that, and we seem to have it in spades now.

And, thus, Josh is tossing the throws with confidence in the result. The catches beget the throws and the throws reciprocate. The Bulls receiving core offers both a very high degree of Skill and a veteran comprehension of the game. The perfect storm. Davis learning along side Diggs, Brown, Beas and McKenzie puts him in a fantastic position.

Edited by MiltonWaddams
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Edmunds was the standout.  He had what may have been the best game of his young career.  He was everywhere on the field – blitzing, tackling ball carriers, roaming the defensive backfield.  No sloppy tackling this week.   Extraordinary quickness, darting into a hole to manage his gap, then curling back and assisting on tackles across the field.  I’m sure, either after the game, or in the film room, coaches will say to him, “THAT’S the way you’re supposed to play the game, with THAT speed and THAT kind of focus.”  If a trip to Vegas is what it took for the light to go on, if that’s what we can expect to see week in and week out for the next several years, then by all means send him to Vegas.  I’ll be his chaperone.

If Vegas is what is needed to make Edmunds play that well then he is worth offering two future first round picks by the Raiders.

Great review.

That’s what good/great teams do, they find a way to win. It isn’t always pretty or text book, but the W looks all the same in the record book. These Bills are playing that way now through the first four games and barring a rash of significant injuries or god forbid the virus l expect them to keep it up. The sky is the limit for this team!

Great write up as always Shaw

I item of note the pass from Josh in the first quarter to Davis for the td.

Josh again extended the play ran around scandal the field and than like a,magician thru a ball,of his back foot running to the side line with no effort at all the pass was a thing of beauty.

Maybe 3 qbs in the league make that pass

8 hours ago, Rubes said:

Nice write up, thanks.

Great passes need to be caught & these were.  

I have posted over & over at the lack of catches the Bills seem to make and now they are making them (however there were 4 drops yesterday!!).  

Yes watch other games and you continually see contested catches & then would wonder why not Buffalo?

Anyone else remember week 1 vs. NYJ in 2019 and Beasly not making a pretty smple catch (hit him in the #'s) that popped up resulting in a pick 6 & then arguing about Allen's accuracy as to whether it was a good pass?

And again we have high expectations of Josh & can complain that on a 42 yard bomb, that he didn't lead Diggs enough.....  A different world for a Bills fan.

Good write-up Shaw.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Great passes need to be caught & these were.  

I have posted over & over at the lack of catches the Bills seem to make and now they are making them (however there were 4 drops yesterday!!).  

Yes watch other games and you continually see contested catches & then would wonder why not Buffalo?

Anyone else remember week 1 vs. NYJ in 2019 and Beasly not making a pretty smple catch (hit him in the #'s) that popped up resulting in a pick 6 & then arguing about Allen's accuracy as to whether it was a good pass?

And again we have high expectations of Josh & can complain that on a 42 yard bomb, we didn't lead Diggs enough.....  A different world for a Bills fan.

Good write-up Shaw.

I'd like to see the "adjusted" completion %. I remember at one point in the second half, a drive ended after two straight drops. One by I think Singletary and one by Brown.

I don’t even have any thought about the big play to Diggs. I saw the highlight again this morning on good morning football but from quick glance Raiders  defender had tight coverage on Diggs. Now I’d like to see the play develop from a birds eye view and the tighter coverage may be from Diggs having to wait up the ball.

But all in all it seems that Josh understands and has the belief that his Guy Diggs is better than any other player of the field. If you throw it up where only one is going to win the battle I’ll take my chances with Diggs any day of the week. It was a big play. 

Trust  your playmakers to make a play.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I'd like to see the "adjusted" completion %. I remember at one point in the second half, a drive ended after two straight drops. One by I think Singletary and one by Brown.

It was 2nd & 20 & both were short passes no where near enough for a first down but were thrown with them on a run.

7 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I don’t even have any thought about the big play to Diggs. I saw the highlight again this morning on good morning football but from quick glance Raiders  defender had tight coverage on Diggs. Now I’d like to see the play develop from a birds eye view and the tighter coverage may be from Diggs having to wait up the ball.

But all in all it seems that Josh understands and has the belief that his Guy Diggs is better than any other player of the field. If you throw it up where only one is going to win the battle I’ll take my chances with Diggs any day of the week. It was a big play. 

Trust  your playmakers to make a play.

It was a pass that while tight coverage, was only where Diggs could catch it and was a perfect pass in that regard (if thrown more to the right as he made his cut, yes a TD).

Shaw? Edmunds? I don’t think so. I’d come around to him in the latter part of last season and then figured he was protecting an injury last week...but now I’m thinking he’s back to the same guy as earlier, running around, getting blown out of holes, and missing tackles because he’s just too tall and lanky. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I wasn't quitee as high on Edmunds as you were, Shaw. In fact, I thought he looked like a chicken with his head cut off quite a few times, especially in the first half.

I specifically remember one big chunk run by the Raiders where Edmunds clearly filled the wrong gap and was easily blocked. So yea he was more of a mixed bag for me. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The difference in the game was the bills scored two td's and only kicked a FG once in the first half where the raiders kicked two fg's and scored only one Td.  How many times last year would that of been the case with the Bills kicking FG's vs scoring TD's.  this year that script is reverse and its showing up.  The Bills are scoring TD's vs settling for three. This was the case in the playoff game last year vs Houston.  I also remember in a Miami game that the Bills were dominating but only kicking FG's.  think the Bills were up 9-0 and then fitz drove em for a TD.

Really a key thing for this team this year is the amount of times they are scoring the TD's vs kicking the three.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I don’t see the Edmunds love myself, but great analysis as usual. 

I wondered what I would here about Edmunds. I S aw it differently.   I thought his mobility was awesome.  12 tackles on 67 total plays says something