That McKenzie Sweep on 4th and 1

jimmy10

7 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I was listening to Cover 1 and they made a really good point: they kept faking the jet sweep for a ton of the game as window dressing. Eventually, the Raiders stopped biting so they kept the play in their back pocket until they needed it. Where did Daboll get the idea? The Bills had just gotten burned on it last week with all the sweeps to Woods.

They been faking the jet sweep since last year. I don't think it had much to do with the game against the Rams. 

13 hours ago, Simon said:

That might be the fastest I have ever seen a guy coming across in motion.

The execution and that timing on the snap and handoff were stunning.

Motion with purpose is a beautiful thing.  That’s a “Patriots” thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I was listening to Cover 1 and they made a really good point: they kept faking the jet sweep for a ton of the game as window dressing. Eventually, the Raiders stopped biting so they kept the play in their back pocket until they needed it. Where did Daboll get the idea? The Bills had just gotten burned on it last week with all the sweeps to Woods.

theyve been doing this with McKenzie for at least two prior seasons 

4 hours ago, wjag said:

I hope someone can show a close up look at the handoff.  Talk about timing.  That was brilliant.

Agreed. It looked like McKenzie hesitated for a split second to make sure of that.

Something else about that play: I'm wondering if it was an option, with Josh reading the D to see if he could sneak it through, with the end-around as a backup plan if the box was stacked.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I will wait for an action replay, but I don’t think that is the safety.  I think that was the DB that had him in man coverage and that is the reason he is running already like that.  

I think he was following the motion and is just way behind the action.  

That was the speed of that play.  The DB covering McKittrick is already 1/3 of the field behind him at that point.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/isaiah-mckenzie-moves-chains-on-14-yard-fourth-down-fly-sweep-bills-at-raiders

You're correct Rochesterfan. #26 (who I said was the safety) was indeed the right CB who is following McKenzie across the formation, but way too deep and way too late that he never would have arrived on time (to stop the first down). But McKenzie was his assignment, so makes sense that he would have seen the play the whole way, with his eyes on McKenzie. He does force McKenzie out of bounds, but after 14 yards and the first down.

#27 (the player I noted as the CB late to recognize the play), who ends up chasing McK from behind, was the outside left corner, lined up outside of Tyler Kroft at the start of the play. Looks like Kroft is his assignment by his initial reaction. And Kroft does a great job of freezing the corner by taking a couple of quick steps (to look like he is going out for a route) before he turns back to block the LB on the end of the line.

The DE and LB on the left side of the defensive formation watch the play run by them. LB lost contain, was slow to react, and gets blocked by Kroft. 

And the safety (#38) runs down to crash the line, and sees McKenzie too late, so has lost any angle on the play.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, wjag said:

I hope someone can show a close up look at the handoff.  Talk about timing.  That was brilliant.

I can only add a couple of photos per post (due to the size restriction), so I'll have to do three successive posts to show the stills of the handoff I grabbed.

McK_1.thumb.jpg.e37ea261709625c610b939c42b50cd78.jpg

McK_2.thumb.jpg.f6ad01d098fd0ced01610570d2f729a2.jpg

Edited by folz

McKenzie must get tired. He runs fake jet sweeps all game long!

Seems to be a big part of the offense. It's pretty smart. The motion helps determine what defense they are in. And since we only actually give it to McKenzie a couple of times a game, the defense is left guessing.

Anyone know McKenzie knows how to throw it? It would be cool to hand it off to him on the sweep and have him stop and hit a receiver (or Allen) for a big gain. I suppose John Brown could always do that. It would be a good play to get on tape for defensive coordinators to worry about.

10 minutes ago, folz said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/isaiah-mckenzie-moves-chains-on-14-yard-fourth-down-fly-sweep-bills-at-raiders

You're correct Rochesterfan. #26 (who I said was the safety) was indeed the right CB who is following McKenzie across the formation, but way too deep and way too late that he never would have arrived on time (to stop the first down). But McKenzie was his assignment, so makes sense that he would have seen the play the whole way, with his eyes on McKenzie. He does force McKenzie out of bounds, but after 14 yards and the first down.

#27 (the player I noted as the CB late to recognize the play), who ends up chasing McK from behind, was the outside left corner, lined up outside of Tyler Kroft at the start of the play. Looks like Kroft is his assignment by his initial reaction. And Kroft does a great job of freezing the corner by taking a couple of quick steps (to look like he is going out for a route) before he turns back to block the LB on the end of the line.

The DE and LB on the left side of the defensive formation watch the play run by them. LB lost contain, was slow to react, and gets blocked by Kroft. 

And the safety (#38) runs down to crash the line, and sees McKenzie too late, so has lost any angle on the play.

Yes, #27 was the key defender on the play.  He was cheating inside, looking for a hole to stuff rather than attacking off the edge which would not help on a straight ahead run.  Once he realizes McKenzie has the ball, he's flat-footed and hopelessly beat on the edge.

Edited by KD in CA

Great execution.  As previously stated, if this does not work then everyone is calling for DaBoll’s head 

Just don’t try this against the Pats*.   Bellichek saw it yesterday.  

Im betting he spent his Sunday off studying the Bills. 

Edited by Bob in STL