That McKenzie Sweep on 4th and 1

jimmy10

52 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Rewatched it - there was no block the corner just lost outside contain and by the time he saw McKenzie he was a step behind. 

0AC750CC-9C98-4A12-BBE6-10BEC9891197.jpeg

Before the 2019 season, I thought for sure McKenzie would be/should be a cut. I thought, he's just a gadget guy, there are other receivers who can do more or who are bigger. I liked him, but didn't see his value. But, I have to say, he completely won me over last year. And this offseason, if someone suggested McKenzie should be a cut, I knew they were mistaken (as most of you did too, of course). He is so important to Dabol's offense, even if he only gets 2-4 plays a game, the threat of him coming on one of those jet sweeps, keeps defenses honest and more spread out laterally. And the reason they have to honor it is because McKenzie is so fast and so good at it. He is more successful than not when they actually give him the ball. That threat makes so many other plays more open. And the kid just makes plays when his number is called! Great call by Dabol and great execution by everyone.

I love that still photo that Dr.Sack posted too. What kills me is how fooled the Raiders were by it. McKenzie has already received the ball and run like five or six yards with it (toward the sideline) and turned the corner for daylight, and yet only 4 of the 11 defensive players even know that McKenzie has the ball---two of which he is already passed (hard to miss seeing it when he runs by right in front of you), the safety in the middle of the field (too far away to make a play), and the corner (who was late to recognize it and is now on an island against McKenzie's speed and shiftiness). The other seven players are all still playing the run fake to the other side. The safety was the only defender to see the play as soon as it happened, but as I said, he was never going to get there on time even though he read the play correctly.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, BillsCuse said:

I loved that they went for it on 4th down at the 50 yard line.  They are so much more aggressive this year on offense and its great to watch

They have a ton of weapons...It is hard for defense to stop us on a  1yard down.   especially when the plan includes a rush by the QB

I was listening to Cover 1 and they made a really good point: they kept faking the jet sweep for a ton of the game as window dressing. Eventually, the Raiders stopped biting so they kept the play in their back pocket until they needed it. Where did Daboll get the idea? The Bills had just gotten burned on it last week with all the sweeps to Woods.

• Like (+1) 3

In a game that had so many plays to choose from, this was my favorite.  It happened so fast I didn’t even see the handoff.  When it was over all I could say was wow. Huge play at an important time in the game.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Rewatched it - there was no block the corner just lost outside contain and by the time he saw McKenzie he was a step behind. 

0AC750CC-9C98-4A12-BBE6-10BEC9891197.jpeg

I believe that he is referring to the block right above the 1 in 4th and 1 that sealed the edge (corner).  It was a block to prevent him forcing the run back or wide - although with the speed - it was totally irrelevant.

you can clearly see the Corner is unblocked and 2 yards off the ball, but already late in reacting.

4 hours ago, folz said:

Before the 2019 season, I thought for sure McKenzie would be/should be a cut. I thought, he's just a gadget guy, there are other receivers who can do more or who are bigger. I liked him, but didn't see his value. But, I have to say, he completely won me over last year. And this offseason, if someone suggested McKenzie should be a cut, I knew they were mistaken (as most of you did too, of course). He is so important to Dabol's offense, even if he only gets 2-4 plays a game, the threat of him coming on one of those jet sweeps, keeps defenses honest and more spread out laterally. And the reason they have to honor it is because McKenzie is so fast and so good at it. He is more successful than not when they actually give him the ball. That threat makes so many other plays more open. And the kid just makes plays when his number is called! Great call by Dabol and great execution by everyone.

I love that still photo that Dr.Sack posted too. What kills me is how fooled the Raiders were by it. McKenzie has already received the ball and run like five or six yards with it (toward the sideline) and turned the corner for daylight, and yet only 4 of the 11 defensive players even know that McKenzie has the ball---two of which he is already passed (hard to miss seeing it when he runs by right in front of you), the safety in the middle of the field (too far away to make a play), and the corner (who was late to recognize it and is now on an island against McKenzie's speed and shiftiness). The other seven players are all still playing the run fake to the other side. The safety was the only defender to see the play as soon as it happened, but as I said, he was never going to get there on time even though he read the play correctly.

I will wait for an action replay, but I don’t think that is the safety.  I think that was the DB that had him in man coverage and that is the reason he is running already like that.  

I think he was following the motion and is just way behind the action.  

That was the speed of that play.  The DB covering McKittrick is already 1/3 of the field behind him at that point.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

There were a lot of great plays today, but the surprise, and the timing, and the effectiveness of that ridiculous gain McKenzie got on that 4th and 1 sweep was just stupendous. Not gonna lie, that made me jump out of my chair more than any other offensive play today. 

Fit the situation beautifully.

Daboll knows they worry a lot about the sneak, and that pulls them in and compresses them.

And now they can't compress quite as much next time.

Sweet.

The jet sweep has been a window dressing look most of the season..... excellent set up by Daboll all four weeks to call it on an attempted 4th down conversion that we absolutely had to have.

Also the QB sneak at the goal line was the first sneak of the day.  

We ran a bunch of sneaks and jet sweeps last season...... absolutely great set ups by Daboll  by keeping those plays, mostly, under his lid and then pulling them out when the time was absolutely right.

7 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

It took balls to call it, and great execution to get the outside corner out. 

Especially when that same play went for a loss on the first play of the game. But the Bills go right back to the well. They did it with Dawson Knox.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

7 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

And I’ve also gotta think the tape from that play loses at least one night of sleep for all the remaining defensive coordinators on our schedule. 

For all of the talk about how Sean McVay gives defenses fits with how many looks they show, Daboll is showing he belongs in the conversation of OCs who are most difficult to prepare for.  We’re seeing what happens when you have the talent to run the schemes you want to run.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Loved they set it up the first play of the game and then faked it over and over until the perfect moment. Like we're gonna run this all day, joking we're just gonna fake it the rest of the day until the most important play of the game. 

There is a bunch of research in psychology about this type of stuff. I honestly think they might be looking at how the brain processes different looks and patterns and are using that cause surprise and gain an edge.

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, shoshin said:

They ran that same play the first play of the game out of a different formation. It flopped for a few yard loss. Took guys to do it again. 

One difference...first play the handoff was inside, this play the handoff was outside. Think it's what called an adjustment.