Week 5: Bills at Titans on Tuesday Night Football

YoloinOhio

Just now, dubs said:

They just need to postpone the game with the potential for cancel/forfeit down the road. At this point, it just doesn’t make sense to try and get this in Tuesday. 

yeah— agree. That will also give the NFL

some flexibility in how harshly to punish the titans. If they just put this off and “wait and see,” in about 4-5 weeks, when it is clear that they are just blowing every protocol, the league can just call forfeits on all titan games and shut that team down. 

26 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'm sure even if Pegula wanted to that would be a salary cap hit.  Having said that the league could approve them being paid from some source, maybe out of the cookie jar they have for emergencies.

Unless I missed something in the last five pages of this thread, the facility is closed so no one can practice and with a positive today, they can't re-open tomorrow or Tuesday either as need two days of clean tests.  Believe there's a league rule that teams have to be allowed to practice at a minimum of two days prior to game.  On top of that they hadn't been allowed to have a full legal practice until yesterday, so that would have given them four days. To expect a team to go out and play a game after only a couple of practices does not seem very prudent.

The issue also is you now don't know who this coach exposed himself too and will another flare up start  maybe around Wednesday or Thursday, so then you'd have players who are negative on game day who have the virus now exposing the Bills.  Add in 5 days before most see symptoms, they could then play KC on Sunday  and test positive on Monday after they've now exposed KC too.

Maybe the league will determine he wasn't exposed to anyone  yesterday and reopen the facility in the next hour or so, if so then possibly the game could go on, though if I were the Bills, I think I'd now be telling Roger, NO we refuse to play the game as we don't want to be exposed next.  If Tenn isn't able to practice today, then can't see how they can play the game.

This.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

It's worse for the Titans.  The game has to be cancelled now.

Maybe not cancelled, I don't trust this greedy league. But that said the fact it is an unknown case means its almost back to square one to Tenn.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

If that is the approach they may have to cancel or forfeit this game.

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I'm fine with giving Tenn forfeits,  but wouldn't reward their opponents with wins.  Final standing will just simple be based on win percentage so Bills could play one less game than others.  In the NFL one win can take a team in or out of playoffs, change from playing home game to no home game, so can't see the league  being comfortable giving a team that much of an advantage.  I'm sure the other 30 teams would be screaming, in particular the Steelers.

That would screw us if there's a 1 game difference between us and another team for determining home field etc.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I know it’s selfish but I just want them to play this game and just put this whole week past us

I don’t want a second Tennessee week.  One is clearly enough.  Let some other fan base have the pleasure. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

What was brought up a while back and I heard again on the radio... The NFL scheduled division games both at the beginning of the season and the end of the season.  They could cancel the division games at the end of the season and have makeup games during those weeks.  Teams would have just one division game against each team instead of two.  Makes sense to me to do it that way before they extend the season.

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

yeah— agree. That will also give the NFL

some flexibility in how harshly to punish the titans. If they just put this off and “wait and see,” in about 4-5 weeks, when it is clear that they are just blowing every protocol, the league can just call forfeits on all titan games and shut that team down. 

Yeah but waiting can also lead to accusations of tipping the scales if that 2-0 W proves pivotal to Buffalo. If forfeiture is an option the league can't delay weeks to use it to avoid the appearance of being biased one way or another.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm trying NOT to be the resident covid-19 expert here and to pass judgement on how I think the NFL's published policies do or don't align with good infection control.  If the coach who just tested positive has been away from the team since the knot of positive tests came out Sept 27, it could be OK.  It's not intrinsically impossible for this test to result from contacts stemming from that original cluster from the coaches booth at the Vikes game and for that coach to have had no contact with the team since that time. 

We lack information. We don't know what's been going on in Nashville. 

That's why I say the NFL really needs to be transparent at this point and lay out their decision making process, PRONTO, because it doesn't look good from here.

What I do know is that it's ridiculous for the NFL to require a progressive exercise program for returning covid-19 reserve list players but to play a game where a team hasn't even had 3 days in their facility to practice prior to the game.

Right. I’m on board with all of that. I’m just following through on what that would mean.

-You come in close contact. Whoopsies

-You quarantine, not in the facility. OK, got it.

-There are 23 people with the virus. OK that’s not good

- Could be 40-50+ total people banned from the facility. Woah! 

Based on the logistics, you can’t field a professional football team/staff. So I guess what I am really asking is, is it reasonable to believe that close contact quarantining is happening and this is a nothing burger? Or is it more reasonable to believe that the NFL/Titans are trying to power through this and any new positive is a red flag. 

If this new + can be determined to have been infected by a non-Titan and has not been in any contact with a Titan, meaning he didn't go into the facility yesterday, I could see them pressing forward with Tuesday night. But they better explain and prove that clearly and loudly today if all that's the case. A lot of riding on perception now.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dubs said:

They just need to postpone the game with the potential for cancel/forfeit down the road. At this point, it just doesn’t make sense to try and get this in Tuesday. 

It's too stressful for the league, coaches,  players, etc.. They should just postpone this game for now.  I mean they could come up with another positive test or two between now and Tuesday morning.   

I'm hesitant on the forfeit stuff.  It does sound like they had an unauthorized get together.. but it wasn't malicious from what i read.  And the fact someone got the virus initially could happen to any team.  I'm just leery because Buffalo could have an outbreak at some point.  And we'd be furious if the rest of the league were calling for the Bills to forfeit games.  We would want things re-arranged.  On the plus side, most of the cases so far have been asymptomatic according to ESPN., and in a couple cases very mild symptoms.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, scribo said:

If this new + can be determined to have been infected by a non-Titan and has not been in any contact with a Titan, meaning he didn't go into the facility yesterday, I could see them pressing forward with Tuesday night. But they better explain and prove that clearly and loudly today if all that's the case. A lot of riding on perception now.

They did a full walkthrough yesterday. If this was a coach I am guessing they would be there unless they were self isolating at home in which case this is a non-issue because yesterday was the first (authorized) gathering of the Titans org in weeks. So they were definitely there and probably shedding virus somewhere in the facility.

Edited by Rochesterian Bills Fan

If I’m a Bills player, I’m considering sitting out this game if they go forward. Wouldn’t want to be anywhere near Titans or their facility. To Cody Ford’s point, I’d rather be healthy than rich. NFL is being really short sighted by trying to jam this game in. Play the long game here. 

Just now, scribo said:

After being shutdown for two weeks, I'd be surprised if they weren't "all hands on deck".