Week 5: Bills at Titans on Tuesday Night Football

YoloinOhio

Interesting from PFT on players not losing a game check in the case of a forfeit, 

"The NFL Players Association could, and should, argue that the players have not agreed to surrender game checks in the event of a forfeit.

Indeed, the official rulebook contemplates the possibility of a forfeit, providing in Rule 11, Section 1, Article 1 that the final score of a forfeited game will be 2-0. In a normal year, no one ever would suggest that players shouldn’t be paid for a forfeited game. So why would they not be paid for a forfeit in 2020, especially when the agreement allowing the league to withhold pay for games “cancelled or suspended” does not expressly include forfeits, which necessarily are different from a cancellation or suspension, because a forfeited game goes into the standings with a winner and a loser?" 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/08/will-titans-be-forced-to-forfeit-their-week-five-game-against-the-bills/

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

This is total Bull.  The NFL has been fine - ONE TEAM did not follow protocol and specific directives.  

The only thing embarrassing to me is these constant takes.

I hope you keep this opinion up when they decide to ***** the bills over and move our chiefs game to Saturday and titans game to Monday or Tuesday, basically giving us a massive disadvantage in both games 

3 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

what an absolute joke

so the team that doesn’t have any players who broke protocol gets punished (Bills) 

Godell and the NFL can go ***** themselves. I hope the whole season gets voided and they lose all their money 

where do you live in penfield?  i'd like to know so i can throw stuff at your house.

• Haha (+1) 15

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Source?

Opinion of mine: The league needs to put on its Big Boy Panties, Cowboy Up and call it.

I think that is an old report. Wasn’t there a report earlier in the week that that “could” happen. I hope that’s off the table at this point. 

The league needs to show some leadership at the moment. 

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I guess the bright side is, if I can tether my laptop to my phone and use the data to get a stream going, it would be a good way to kill 3 hours of a 14 hour drive.

“Bills Mafia, where diversity is key. We can crash tables, we can crash cars, we can do it all!”

• Haha (+1) 6

Hell yes make the Titans forfeit, and I'm willing to bet McDermott feels the same way. Why should he jeopardize his own players' safety, not because of the Titans, but the league's piss poor handling of all this? Giving a team like the Chiefs any kind of advantage because of Tennessee's carelessness would be a slap in the face of any team. Buffalo shouldn't have to be the ones paying any kind of price here

2 minutes ago, buffalonian said:

Indeed, the official rulebook contemplates the possibility of a forfeit, providing in Rule 11, Section 1, Article 1 that the final score of a forfeited game will be 2-0.

Whatever benefits the defense at this point, I'm all for.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

I hope you keep this opinion up when they decide to ***** the bills over and move our chiefs game to Saturday and titans game to Monday or Tuesday, basically giving us a massive disadvantage in both games 

The Saturday thing has already been debunked. The NFL can not legally play games on a Saturday, 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It just looks like tough talk but no actual will to follow through. They keep bringing up the "F" word but I doubt they'll actually do it.

I agree with you about the forfeit. That won't happen. They will go to win percentage which will be a very unfair thing, IMO, when you are talking about 15 to 16 games. That's way too significant compared to baseball.

14 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Just give the Titans a loss and do nothing with the bills.

As much as I am against getting a cheesy forfeit win - giving us nothing or no game played could hurt us too.  For example a 12-4 team vs. an 11-4 team for seeding issues

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Penfield45 said:

Why would give this give the Bills a disadvantage in these games?  We'd be playing a decimated Titans squad that's barely had a chance to practice, and KC plays this Sunday.

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think the most prudent thing would be to scrap the game right now. Call it a postponed indefinitely. If you have more situations like this down the line and have to add a week 18, put it there. If not, and if it can be proved that the Titans negligence caused this, have it be a forfeit. 

At an absolute minimum, yes. 

As I said, I think there is only one principle that is driving this:  the NFL wants its money.   I think the NFL should cancel games and impose forfeits, but at a minimum, at least flat out postpone and deal with the consequences later.  

Pats-Chiefs was a good example.  No way the NFL wanted to give up the revenue from that game, so they moved it.  It seems like it worked out, but we won't know for another few days whether playing caused a Chiefs outbreak. 

NFL already has Titans-Steelers revenue at risk, and Bills-Titans turns out to be another pretty good TV draw, so the NFL doesn't want to postpone it indefinitely and maybe lose it.  

It's all about the dollars, despite the good-face the NFL tries to put on it. 

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Most of that portion of the trip would be through Ohio, so it doesnt really matter if I take anything out.

Hey now, I can see I-71 from my place. You stay out of my backyard and keep your eyes on the road.

• Like (+1) 2