Week 5: Bills at Titans on Tuesday Night Football

YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, nucci said:

doesn't actually playing the game destroy all this....everyone is worried about the post game handshakes but not the game itself?

Of course, but some level of that has to be accepted for the game to be played. Systematic vs. unsystematic risk. Some of it is systematic and unavoidable as you suggest, but there’s a lot of unsystematic fluff out there (e.g., post game handshakes, coaches taking their masks down) that is completely avoidable and should be eliminated to give yourself the best shot at mitigating the risk. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

I think recent events and outbreaks have taught us that it probably isn’t.  The NFL cannot let these guys socialize like this after games. It’s just a bad plan. 

This is what happens when we stop asking why questions. For example, WHY did the Titans have an outbreak.  I can about guarantee you that it didn't occur due to a 30 second exchange while outdoors. 

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

The odds non existent if they dont even go near each other at the end of the game.

Ok, so you go from a .0001% chance to a .00001% chance. Got it. This all makes sense. 

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is what happens when we stop asking why questions. For example, WHY did the Titans have an outbreak.  I can about guarantee you that it didn't occur due to a 30 second exchange while outdoors. 

Ok, so you go from a .0001% chance to a .00001% chance. Got it. This all makes sense. 

I’m taking about the recent events in the Rose Garden, not in the NFL.  That event seems to have been the basis for spread within our government, and the activities there were and are similar to the activities that occurred on-field following the Chiefs-Pats game. 

There’s a lot about this virus that we don’t know.  But we do know that it is a respiratory virus, and engaging in conversation in close proximity (like Mahomes and Gilmore did) without the benefit of a prophylactic device (such as a mask or a face shield) is not a good plan.  

Bottom line: ounce of prevention = pound of cure.  No more unnecessary risks. 

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

The testing protocols are not working then if we're saying clean players can't shake hands AFTER playing a game...

I can’t dispute this.  You’re right.  I guess it shows that testing protocols are good practice, but not perfect practice. 

11 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Of course, but some level of that has to be accepted for the game to be played. Systematic vs. unsystematic risk. Some of it is systematic and unavoidable as you suggest, but there’s a lot of unsystematic fluff out there (e.g., post game handshakes, coaches taking their masks down) that is completely avoidable and should be eliminated to give yourself the best shot at mitigating the risk. 

Yep, I get that...just pointing out some stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

One thing I haven't read about at all, with all the Covid restrictions being imposed on teams, one thing I was wondering about.  Typically each team sends a couple of coaches/scouts to attend the game of the following weeks opponent.  For example under normal times, Tenn would have been at this weeks Buffalo game and The Bills would have been at the Pitt-Tenn game scouting and filming the Titans.  I haven't read anything if teams are still allowed to do this or not.  Considering how restrictive they are being with even announcers wouldn't be surprised if no longer allowed.

Are press even allowed to travel on team plane to road games or are they on there own to get to game site?

OK, I google searched and got nothing.

Since the number of employees with access to the locker room/players is being strictly controlled this year, pretty sure "no press on the team plane", get there on your own.

I think coaches/scouts for next opponents have still been allowed, possibly with more restricted numbers or access to facilities.  But that's just a guess.

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

The testing protocols are not working then if we're saying clean players can't shake hands AFTER playing a game...

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. You’re talking about a lot of people per team. Each team should really be viewed as its own bubble Monday through Saturday. You will have some teams on one end of the spectrum that are taking it super seriously and doing everything by the book. You can have another team on the other end of the spectrum that is still taking it seriously, but maybe a few guys slip up. When the two teams meet, would you want them interacting any more than they have to? I sure wouldn’t. After all, it only takes one person to be selfish on a team for it to go sideways. Doesn’t mean the league’s testing isn’t working. Just means one team was better at managing it than another. Personally, I think this is where team leadership, character, and accountability (player, coach, and staff) are extremely important. 

I keep my same stance, I don’t want to play the covid Titans this week. Let them play the game week 18. I don’t want to jeopardize our healthy team with team covid. The league needs to build a buffer week now based on the slow but sure increase in covid cases. 

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

He's not. He implemented protocols that have been relatively successful, all the things considered. He then left himself flexibility to adapt to challenges as they arise.  He has actually done a phenomenal job so far. 

Meh, the OP here isn't wrong and neither are you. The NFL thought they could skate by and give the teams the ability to manage it themselves. But as we have seen with Gruden and reports of the Titans bringing in an UDFA without waiting the 5 days, that is not happening. 

If we were going to operate without a bubble, and the league wanted to be "flexible" and "adaptive" they would have scheduled league wide bye weeks every month so that they could reschedule games in the (inevitable) event this current situation happened. Without a few league wide "dead periods" to either make up games or get things straightened out for certain teams, the league actually left themselves no room for flexibility. 

The league bet that this would be over or nearly over as the season started and progressed. That they would gradually get fans back into stadiums, and the playoffs/superbowl would go off as normal and generate a whole bunch of revenue for them. 

...and now here we are. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 2