Week 5: Bills at Titans on Tuesday Night Football

YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

The game in Tennessee I agree with but the statement the Raider DT was spreading the virus during the game I do not as the teams test  on game day and that is all just unnecessary commentary to state he was spreading the virus during the game

If he tested positive a couple days after the game he undoubtedly had some virus on Sunday.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If he tested positive a couple days after the game he undoubtedly had some virus on Sunday.

It is possible that he may not have been shedding virus or shedding enough during the game to infect anyone.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s your opinion ... but you act as if this board is suggesting at as an option, not like the NFL is suggesting it as an option 

My point is, the same posters who are crying “forfeit” would be having a hissy fit if it was the Bills who broke protocol, and were staring at a forfeit per the rules.  

I’ll move on now. 

1 minute ago, Back the Blue said:

My point is, the same posters who are crying “forfeit” would be having a hissy fit if it was the Bills who broke protocol, and were staring at a forfeit per the rules.  

I’ll move on now. 

We know McDermott has things buttoned up. As an NFL coach should

I've read a lot of posts requesting to just push the Titans game to Monday or Tuesday this week and to further delay the Chiefs game but...as KC/NE showed us, a(n attempt at a) quick fix does nothing! 

If Gilmore had contracted covid from Cam before the game on Monday, who knows of the snowball effect that would result. That picture with Mahomes is pretty damning, and if the face of the NFL gets it, that's probably (and unfortunately) the swift kick in the rear the league will need to take things more seriously and completely re-assess things. 

TN being possibly subject to forfeit is fair, if the league can find blatant violations of protocols, but if they don't...that's honestly bs just for the sake of trudging along with the schedule as is (until more problems arise). 

I've gotten so exhausted with the discussions, politics, and overall ignorance that masses have shown to this situation. It sucks. I'm all for putting the season on pause for a couple weeks, but what exactly will prevent this from happening all over again in the future? 

• Like (+1) 2

So let's put this all together.

The Titans have supposedly been quarantining since last Tuesday.  That is a period of 8 days without contact with their teammates.  Yet two players who tested negative for the last full week, are now suddenly testing positive.  Clearly, the incubation period here is a lot more than 4-5 days.

This tells me, that all of the NFL's testing protocols are pretty much worthless. 

-  The Vikings haven't gotten a positive test (yet) since their game with the Titans, and were cleared to play on Sunday against the Texans.  But how can we be sure none of the Vikings were actually infected for that game, if it only took place 7 days after their game with infected players?

-  The Patriots had a positive test on Saturday (Cam Newton) and then a positive test on Wednesday (Stephon Gilmore).  They quarantined Cam before the game against the Chiefs, but how many players could have tested negative and still had it?

-  The Bills now know they played against a guy who was positive with COVID 19 during the game.  Doesn't this mean our players could be infected and spreading it for the next two weeks, even if they continue to test negative?

Maybe I'm just skeptical at nature, but I just have a hard time believing these incidents are going to stay isolated.

I was always worried the NFL would have a ridiculously tough time keeping this from spreading, and always had a tough time believing this season was going to finish as planned.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The Titans have supposedly been quarantining since last Tuesday.  That is a period of 8 days without contact with their teammates.  Yet two players who tested negative for the last full week, are now suddenly testing positive.  Clearly, the incubation period here is a lot more than 4-5 days.

This tells me, that all of the NFL's testing protocols are pretty much worthless. 

-  The Vikings haven't gotten a positive test (yet) since their game with the Titans, and were cleared to play on Sunday against the Texans.  But how can we be sure none of the Vikings were actually infected for that game, if it only took place 7 days after their game with infected players?

-  The Patriots had a positive test on Saturday (Cam Newton) and then a positive test on Wednesday (Stephon Gilmore).  They quarantined Cam before the game against the Chiefs, but how many players could have tested negative and still had it?

-  The Bills now know they played against a guy who was positive with COVID 19 during the game.  Doesn't this mean our players could be infected and spreading it for the next two weeks, even if they continue to test negative?

Maybe I'm just skeptical at nature, but I just have a hard time believing these incidents are going to stay isolated.

I was always worried the NFL would have a ridiculously tough time keeping this from spreading, and always had a tough time believing this season was going to finish as planned.

Thats assuming they didnt violate protocols

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

So, it sounds like you are painting a picture that supports your preconceived beliefs about the NFL not being able to contain this and finish the season. So far, we are still at one team that has an outbreak because it looks like they didnt follow protocols...the rest are isolated incidents with no further team-to-team spread. Ill wait until that isnt the case before I start becoming a chicken little, personally. 

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Stephen A Smith actually has a good idea.

Have a bubble in each NFL city where all the players live in....sort of like an extended training camp.  But each family member is allowed to enter the bubble as long as they test negative.

This way the players still get to see family's.  

what about the fact many many players have kids....their kids are supposed to go to school. Im sure they can arrange virtual learning through their school, but many parents dont want that. It is a good idea I just dont know if it can be forced upon players/families. 

Simple solution would be IF the NFLPA agrees to a bubble with a family invite they would get the one time option of having your family join the bubble. Does a player assume the responsibility/fine if their family member violates the bubble agreement and then infects others? 

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Pats tested day of the game, no?  So he tested negative earlier that day..  Hopefully, as Titans/Vikings show, while easily transmissible, COVID may not be the type of virus that transfers easily during a game..  More along the lines of spending prolonged time, in close quarters, with someone.  

Gilmore being on the plane is more worrisome to me than him playing in a open air stadium and hugging Mahomes.  

It's also wild that these players, from what we know, aren't even sick..  If COVID wasn't a "thing", these players would be playing and nobody would even bat an eyelash.

Yeah, the Vikings results (thus far) have been a pleasant surprise. But in regards to Gilmore testing negative, he was until he currently isn't - because the virus can have an incubation period of more than a few days. If he got it post game or off the field, that's one thing; but if it was merely delayed in relation to Cam... 😕

Valid point about the airplane and other close contact being more or a concern - I was referring to the pic with Pat as a worst case scenario (and the one that'll draw the most headlines for obvious reasons). 

Just now, PaattMaann said:

what about the fact many many players have kids....their kids are supposed to go to school. Im sure they can arrange virtual learning through their school, but many parents dont want that. It is a good idea I just dont know if it can be forced upon players/families. 

Simple solution would be IF the NFLPA agrees to a bubble with a family invite they would get the one time option of having your family join the bubble. Does a player assume the responsibility/fine if their family member violates the bubble agreement and then infects others? 

I would assume that they could see their kids after school.  I don't know how reliable the rapid tests are but I guess that could be an option.