A Few Thoughts About the Raiders, in no particular order

Virgil

21 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He threw it from his own 33 to the opponents 11 

And threw it about 10 yards too far inside.  If he threw that ball out toward the #s on the right side of the field, its a walk in as you noted.

• Like (+1) 3

Nice write up as usual...

I agree with your comments on Allen - both negative and positive...I said in the other thread that you can’t take that sack... but maybe he will learn that...

It wasn’t his best game but still better than pretty much any game he played last year... 

It’s amazing what he is doing and hopefully he can continue to improve.. The sky seems the limit... 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Norman at 32 provided the energy our D needed after Levi went down. Good game from the DL, Frazier & Daboll. Our OL was solid. DL rebounded in 2nd half. Good game pleased with the focus and effort. Another 3rd Qtr without a score although I thought Brown had it. 

Not mentioned but I think should be-our main guys on defense are getting dumped on a lot, but the role players need to start playing better. I have very little confidence when a ball is thrown towards Taron Johnson, Levi, or Marlowe. The defensive line has not looked good at all this season (minus the 4th quarter). So while Edmunds and Oliver must start making more plays, a lot of the other guys are not playing well either 

It's not like I was keyed on LG all game, or anything, but I did notice that when Ford was in at LG, he was really good. The entire front line was great in pass protection, but Food also had at least one beautiful block that afforded Motor a nice run. Gotta say, I like Ford at LG.

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

It's not like I was keyed on LG all game, or anything, but I did notice that when Ford was in at LG, he was really good. The entire front line was great in pass protection, but Food also had at least one beautiful block that afforded Motor a nice run. Gotta say, I like Ford at LG.

It seems as though that's going to be his permanent position.  Even when Spain comes in, they are shifting him to RG.  

7 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Not mentioned but I think should be-our main guys on defense are getting dumped on a lot, but the role players need to start playing better. I have very little confidence when a ball is thrown towards Taron Johnson, Levi, or Marlowe. The defensive line has not looked good at all this season (minus the 4th quarter). So while Edmunds and Oliver must start making more plays, a lot of the other guys are not playing well either 

I don't disagree.  I'm only talking about those two moreso because of when they were drafted and the expectations that go along with that

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It seems as though that's going to be his permanent position.  Even when Spain comes in, they are shifting him to RG.  

I don't disagree.  I'm only talking about those two moreso because of when they were drafted and the expectations that go along with that

Oh I’m definitely with you on that, just seems like at times (not by you) there is too much focus on those 2 in particular and ignoring others 

You mention Norman and he did contribute despite being rusty.

What I find interesting is that different players make plays each week to contribute.  While the core are doing the heavy lifting the entire team is making the season a success.  This week Norman/Jefferson, last week Kroft/Smith.

Nice writeup.  I like the way Norman plays against the run.  He is a ball hawk and plays with emotion.  Gave the defense a lift which was sorely needed. 

Allen can't take that sack when in FG range.  Other than that, I thought he had a pretty good game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Re Officiating: 

The John Brown TD is another ridiculous "play stands" that went against the Bills. I'm guessing the replay official decided there was not conclusive evidence that Brown completed the process of the catch while the ball was on the goal line. 

The Carr would be fumble that they declared his forward progress was stopped was a pretty terrible call. That was a routine strip sack, and I didn't hear a whistle until well after the Bills had recovered (if the ref had truly thought Carr's progress was stopped they should have blown it dead immediately). 

The refs called 3 offensive holding penalties on the Bills. The only one that got a replay was the call on Diggs, and it was a very weak call by 2020 standards. The other 2 holding calls did not stand out to me live and did not get replays. 

Poyers DPI was a weak call. The block in the back they called on the Raiders was a very weak call. 

The illegal formation that took the long TD off the board was the right call, but had no impact on the play itself. 

The play where they called offsetting penalties I thought calls on both teams were weak. 

All in all a pretty terrible showing by the refs. I disagreed with a majority of the calls they made, and disagreed with the non-overturn on Browns TD. Why even have reviews/challenges if the refs refuse to correct mistakes? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He threw it from his own 33 to the opponents 11 

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Because it seemed like that ball had no windup—just a flick of his wrist and out it launched for umpteen yards—otherwise it’s heading to the Hoover Dam? 🤔

not saying it was a matter of arm strength. He waited too long to make that throw. Didn’t lead him enough. Obviously nit picking here—but to Virgil’s point, that ball should have been a TD. Diggs beat his guy by like yards. 

• Like (+1) 2

Good stuff. Especially the comments about the refs. NFL refs continue to show why they are the worst of all pro sports officials week in and week out. Both sides got screwed by poor calls today. Sometimes, they don’t even know the rules, like on that holding call on Diggs that occurred nine yards beyond the line of scrimmage. That’s a spot foul, the yardage is marked off from the point of the foul, and it should have been 11 yards to go for a first down. Instead, they marked it off from the LOS and it was 20 yards to go. There is just no excuse for that. 

Not sure why our coaches didn’t raise a stink at the time, either.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

agree completely on Allen. He had a good game, but had some accuracy issues. That deep ball to Diggs should have been a walk-in TD. He underthrew him by a lot. 

Threw it about 60 yards and gave his guy a chance. If he throws it 70 yards and into the turf it doesn't really matter. 

25 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

not saying it was a matter of arm strength. He waited too long to make that throw. Didn’t lead him enough. Obviously nit picking here—but to Virgil’s point, that ball should have been a TD. Diggs beat his guy by like yards. 

I just think timing and accuracy 60 yards down the field are tougher to judge. He's not wilson... yet ;)

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Good stuff. Especially the comments about the refs. NFL refs continue to show why they are the worst of all pro sports officials week in and week out. Both sides got screwed by poor calls today. Sometimes, they don’t even know the rules, like on that holding call on Diggs that occurred nine yards beyond the line of scrimmage. That’s a spot foul, the yardage is marked off from the point of the foul, and it should have been 11 yards to go for a first down. Instead, they marked it off from the LOS and it was 20 yards to go. There is just no excuse for that. 

Not sure why our coaches didn’t raise a stink at the time, either.

I’m actually really glad you brought that up.  I thought the exact same thing at the time and didn’t write down the note.  

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I’m actually really glad you brought that up.  I thought the exact same thing at the time and didn’t write down the note.  

The sheer amount of crap calls every game makes it impossible to remember them all. Glad I could help. :beer:

• Like (+1) 2

Couple  of observations I have so far this season .

1-when Allan gets flushed  out of the pocket  and rolls  left , most of the times this season bad things  happened.  I am not sure why he always  looking  to escape  to his left . Rolling  to his right  as a right  hand thrower  is much easier  to make accurate  throws  . 

2- The energy  that Lawson and Phillips brought  to the field last season are missing  . We need couple  of players  to bring that energy  and swagger  to the field.  Hopefully  Norman  can be someone  who will . 

If these two things get fixed and they are fixable  issues, this team is going  to be deep  in  the playoffs and have a chance  to win it all. 

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

agree completely on Allen. He had a good game, but had some accuracy issues. That deep ball to Diggs should have been a walk-in TD. He underthrew him by a lot. 

Watch the play again and tell me what QB turns this throw into a walk in TD:

You're underestimating how difficult it is to throw the ball that far from the angle to an exact spot. Allen did what he was supposed to do, let his #1 receiver in single coverage make a play.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Estro said:

And threw it about 10 yards too far inside.  If he threw that ball out toward the #s on the right side of the field, its a walk in as you noted.

Agree but we are nitpicking a little bit. That is a really long throw and he gave his WR a chance to make a play. 2019 Josh misses Diggs by 10 yards.