Could Josh Norman be the missing link?

Penfield45

He basically flipped the game for us, his forced fumble and recovery was the turning point of the game. Raiders were down 7 and driving down the field. Before that play our defense looked lost and lethargic, Normans energy was a breath of fresh air

He says he's found a new appreciation of the game since joining Buffalo, if he can stay healthy and get close to his all pro days we have a massive upgrade on defense. A veteran leader who will hold guys accountable and fire up the defense. 

Edited by Penfield45
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 1

He was in attack mode from the second he walked onto the field for the first time.

I'm sorry about Wallace's knee but this is likely going to be a significant upgrade for the Bills defense.

Taron Johnson might be the last pigeon.....

• Like (+1) 4

Impossible to know if he will return to high level play. He looked quite quick to me today on first blush, and he is a playmaker. IF he is anything close to returning to high level NFL CB (not talking about when he was great, just good) it will be a tremendous bump for this defense, turning a weakness, Levi, into a strength. And allowing the defense to do all kinds of other stuff because of it/him.

• Like (+1) 2

Can never have enough good CBs.  He's good.

As much as Levi has been a target, having him as a 3rd CB is OK.  Hopefully he isn't out long.

We need a big upgrade over Johnson in the slot, though.  He just isn't getting it done.  A better pass rush would help as well, but that hasn't happened enough this year either.  Defense has a lot to work out, but hopefully they get it straight sooner than later.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

He basically flipped the game for us, his forced fumble and recovery was the turning point of the game. Raiders were down 7 and driving down the field. Before that play our defense looked lost and lethargic, Normans energy flipped the entire game. 

He says he's found a new appreciation of the game since joining Buffalo, if he can stay healthy and get close to his all pro days we have a massive upgrade on defense. A veteran leader who will hold guys accountable and fire up the defense. 

He was the only defender up until that point that looked like he wasn't on his heels trying to just tackle and actually did something extra to make a play.

He sparked the defense. 

Like I said in another post I got flamed for defense needs an emotional leader / playmaker presence and he provides at least part of it today and prob won us the game.

Edited by Sharky7337

2 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Can never have enough good CBs.  He's good.

As much as Levi has been a target, having him as a 3rd CB is OK.  Hopefully he isn't out long.

We need a big upgrade over Johnson in the slot, though.  He just isn't getting it done.  A better pass rusg would help as well, but that hasn

t happened enough this year either.  Defense has a lot to work out, but hopefully they get it straight sooner than later.

I actually thought Taron had a decent game today. Much better than last week. Renfrow had the one big catch on him but they normally feed him a lot and for a large portion of the game Taron had him under wraps.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

He basically flipped the game for us, his forced fumble and recovery was the turning point of the game. Raiders were down 7 and driving down the field. Before that play our defense looked lost and lethargic, Normans energy was a breath of fresh air

I agree his FR was the turning point - but we need to fix the run gashing due to bad tackling and (lack of) gap integrity.

Edit: First Half defensive woes were fixed quite a bit in the second

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

I don’t want to take anything away from josh Norman because he made the play of the game. It turned the entire game. 

But the jury is still out on him. in this game and not really looking for him, I saw that he (1) got burned on that long aghalor TD that game back due to the penalty; and (2) blew an assignment that left the FB wide open on the sideline for a 17-yard gain. 

So I’m not entirely confident in his ability as a cover corner. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, jkeerie said:

I think Frazier counts on the back end of the defense too much.  We need to be more aggressive on the front end for it to work.

Agree. When we just play our regular bend but don't break it usually works but not always and hasn't at all this year. When we are aggressive, to me we play better.

In earlier seasons it made more sense to play this way because the offense was unreliable and if we gave up over 20 it was usually a loss. Now, it makes little sense. Even if we gamble and lose, the O can bail us out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Agree. When we just play our regular bend but don't break it usually works but not always and hasn't at all this year. When we are aggressive, to me we play better.

In earlier seasons it made more sense to play this way because the offense was unreliable and if we gave up over 20 it was usually a loss. Now, it makes little sense. Even if we gamble and lose, the O can bail us out.

Exactly!  You nailed it!

6 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I agree his FR was the turning point - but we need to fix the run gashing due to bad tackling and (lack of) gap integrity.

run defense was fine today. 

our LB's and short yardage pass defense is terrible 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:He was rhe only defender that looked like he wasn't on his heels trying to just tackle and actually did something extra to make a play.

He sparked the defense. 

Like I said in another post I got flamed for defense needs an emotional leader / playmaker presence and he provides at least part of it today.

Look around the NFL and peruse the average scores being given up...do you really not recognize that the games are being called in the O’s favor????

Look, he played balls out...I loved it. But this is a different year and the NFL wants something different thus something different we shall receive. 

Simple as that. 

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

Look around the NFL and peruse the average scores being given up...do you really not recognize that the games are being called in the O’s favor????

Look, he played balls out...I loved it. But this is a different year and the NFL wants something different thus something different we shall receive. 

Simple as that. 

None of that changes the fact of what I said. Regardless of how they are calling it this year we got burned multiple times and guys looked like they were in over their heads.

We got away with some blown coverages on penalties and Edmunds was acting as an offensive line doormat again.

Edited by Sharky7337